Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Scooter Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scooter Pickles wrote:
shaka999 wrote:
I've had tires on my GP4000s on my FLO 30s since last year. I ended up flatting last week and it was still a PITA to get the tire on and off. I love the ride of the 30s but changing out tires is a big problem....at least with the GP4ks. I broke a tire iron getting them on the first time.

I've had the some trouble with Conti GP4000s and Michelin Pro 4s on the FLO 30s. It is damn near impossible to mount the tire onto the rim. I don't know if it has to do with the width of the wheel or what what but I've never had this much trouble getting a tire onto a wheel.
Forget the tire iron, forget the swearing... when you get down to the last bit of tire bead to push over with your palms, wet the rim and the tire with a small amount of water (take a sip from your water bottle and spit it on the bead and rim). Bam! The thing slips over as if the tire diameter had expanded by a couple of centimeters.

First install of Conti's is only slightly challenging, after that it slides on like butter when using water as the lubricant. (It's the same reason that your wetsuit slides off easily when taking it off within 30 seconds of exiting the water. If you wait until the suit drys at all it gets sticky and difficult.)

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
You need to be a man about mounting those tires.

So I guess the guys at my bike shop aren't men? It recently took two of them using a Kool Stop tire jack to get a new tire on one of my Flo 30s, and even then they struggled like crazy. These are very experienced mechanics. I'm thinking of selling my wheels because I can risk this happening in a race. Every individual tire (not just make and model) is different, but in my experience they all range from merely hard to practically impossible.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [ceborgmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tires stretch out over time and should be easier to remount after you have ridden on the tire a bit. Only exception to that is tubeless tires that have a carbon bead.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [ceborgmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it difficult to mount tires on those wheels, even tires that had been previously mounted.

Could also be the plastic rim strip instead of real rim tape taking up too much space in the tire well.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My used GP4000s are tougher than usual to install. Vittoria Evo CX tires go on by hand without much struggle though.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up some Flo 30s. Seem well built and and I'm pleased with the quality. However, putting on fairly used GP4000s tires might have been the toughest thing I've ever encountered. I got it done, but not after nearly breaking two pedro levers. I talc'd the tires and rim to help slide them on, but that did not help at all. I don't think the rim tape has anything to do with it. I'm sure the rim width is some of it, but I also think the really sharp edge of the rim is also a variable. Compared to any other wheel I've ever seen, yours seems too sharp/squared at the edge and literally can start to saw parts of the bead off as your work the last 3-6 inches. Most wheels I have are rounded a bit on the edge.

Again nice wheels and well built, but I'm calling my wife for SAG if I ever flat on them.

Anyone know what tire brands are easier to install?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good thing you got them on...embarrassingly, i, for the first time, cant mount new 4000sll tires on there with latex, i just keep flatting the latex and pinching it. I broke 4 levers. Im taking them to the shop haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I picked up some Flo 30s. Seem well built and and I'm pleased with the quality. However, putting on fairly used GP4000s tires might have been the toughest thing I've ever encountered. I got it done, but not after nearly breaking two pedro levers. I talc'd the tires and rim to help slide them on, but that did not help at all. I don't think the rim tape has anything to do with it. I'm sure the rim width is some of it, but I also think the really sharp edge of the rim is also a variable. Compared to any other wheel I've ever seen, yours seems too sharp/squared at the edge and literally can start to saw parts of the bead off as your work the last 3-6 inches. Most wheels I have are rounded a bit on the edge.

Again nice wheels and well built, but I'm calling my wife for SAG if I ever flat on them.

When you have leftover tire that needs to be "levered" onto the rim, are you placing the tire lever in the middle of section of tire that is not on, OR are you working from an edge and gradually working it on the rim as you move to the other side?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, i thought i was the only one on here that had problems getting a GP4000 on the rim. i had to use the topeak jack tool or whatever it's call to get the tire on.

btw, for me getting the tire off is a whole other monster to tackle. again, hopefully it's just me and no one else.

anyway, i purchased the F60 recently and watched the video so im giving it one more shot after i decide whether to get a PT PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll raise my hand as well to mention the GP4000s was a huge PITA to get on. Not as bad as putting a 22mm attack on the HED Jet+ rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From each edge. Your wheel has two "last parts" in my opinion. The first "last part" is around 6-7 inches left. You can just slightly get the lever under the far sides. After another inch or two is pushed over then the second "last part" is left. It's about 3 inches with the tire completely flush against rim with tons of pressure on it. No way a lever is getting under it so I just used the edge of the lever to push the sides of the bead up and over the wheel. With some real push you can get the rest to flip over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

Michelin PR3's. Mounted brand new with no problems whatsoever. Even (unfortunately) flatted and remounted, again no issues.
Absolutely love my 30's.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I saw the Vittoria CX tires noted above too. They do seem like solid wheels which is why I'm happy to use another brand of tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, when I removed some Michelin PR3's (25mm), I got so frustrated battling my levers - broke one, mangled another w/ a steel core - that I actually used a razor blade to get the tire off. I've done that before with a tubular, but this was my first time with a clincher.

No issues with other Flo wheels.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Flo 60 for my front and prefer to use Conti 4000. Is this problem isolated to the 30s or are the 60s also trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had a 60, but no issues mounting tires on a Flo 90 or a disc.

I really think the issue may be the "tape" provided not letting the tire sit down in the well when you install it.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues with a 60 and GP4000S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
From each edge. Your wheel has two "last parts" in my opinion. The first "last part" is around 6-7 inches left. You can just slightly get the lever under the far sides. After another inch or two is pushed over then the second "last part" is left. It's about 3 inches with the tire completely flush against rim with tons of pressure on it. No way a lever is getting under it so I just used the edge of the lever to push the sides of the bead up and over the wheel. With some real push you can get the rest to flip over.

I think your method is causing the problem. Try this...

When there is 6-7 inches left, put the lever under the "last part" in the center. Once the tire lever is under the tire and over the rim (make sure you haven't pinched your tube), slide it to one of the edges. Lift the lever up to move that edge on but do NOT remove the tire lever. You shouldn't have two "last parts". If you keep the lever under the tire, you should be able to "walk" the tire on pretty easily.

Watch this video from 4:08 on. I have about 6-7 inches of "last part" on a FLO 30 with GP4000s tires and use the method I describe above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Cp0TRWnx4

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First real ride with the 30s and really enjoyed it. It was raining and mud was flying everywhere and I lost my black on the brake tracks but figured that was just a matter of time. Took our crappy roads like a champ. Seem to handle sprints and fast climbs well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok lads any other tires that are fast and got decent puncture protection other than the gp4000s? I have tried, even my local bike shop gave it a go and we couldn't get it done, we have snapped about 5 levers. No probs with other flo wheels just the 30's!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sigh
Did you read the post above or watch the video?
This really shouldn't be an issue anymore. You need a new shop along with your levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep watched the video, tyres out in sun etc....they are a bitch to mount
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been able to mount the Michelin ProRace 4 without issue on the Flo 30, 60 and 90. I currently use a 25mm ProRace4 Endurance on my Flo 30 front as my training wheel as it enhances comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried WD40 on the rims, that always does the trick in combination with a good steel tire lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Kenny Powers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how about some light wheels
Quote Reply

Prev Next