Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [bigmike3541] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my 30's the rim tape won't stay put and the holes become uncovered, and I have a flat from that. Can't seem to keep the tape in place, its narrower than the rim, and very thick, hard, and plastic-y. I might try what Timetek recommended, with multiple strips of thinner tape and will try a thinner tube.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velo plugs will solve that problem as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Flo 90 and disc. The 30s are pretty good but my front flats nearly every other ride. Have changed the tire and checked the rim but still persists.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [jcdandkvd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a rim tape problem, there is nothing inherent about a wheel that would make it flat more, unless it had some jagged edge, so there is certainly a problem with your rim tape, tube installation or tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [jcdandkvd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcdandkvd wrote:
Love my Flo 90 and disc. The 30s are pretty good but my front flats nearly every other ride. Have changed the tire and checked the rim but still persists.

I agree that something doesn't sound right here. Have you checked your rim tape?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got around to installing tires (GP4000s) on my Flo 30s. The Flo 30s have the factory rim tape, and I have to say that I have never had as much difficulty installing tires on a set of wheels. With my Zipp Firecrests the tires are easy to install without levers. With the Flo 30s I had to use two levers and a lot of cursing. If this is at least in part due to the thick factory rim tape, then I am certainly willing to give thinner rim tape a try. What width of rim tape did you find works well with the Flo 30s?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do FLO 30s compare to other popular training wheel sets? Something like those posted below. From what I understand the FLO's are just an aluminium rim with a tapered carbon sleeve or am I incorrect? They require standard brake pads not carbon pads as well?

Mavic Cosmic Elite S
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S
Reynolds Attack
Zipp 30

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, flo 30, standard pads.

Mavic Cosmic Elite - actually pretty favorable in comparison to Flo 30. Pretty aero

Mavic Kysrium may be the worst wheel in the world performance wise. but extremely durable and people seem to like the way they feel.

Reynolds Attack - dunno

Zipp 30 - pointless wheel imho. Expensiveish for no reason.

cshowe80 wrote:
How do FLO 30s compare to other popular training wheel sets? Something like those posted below. From what I understand the FLO's are just an aluminium rim with a tapered carbon sleeve or am I incorrect? They require standard brake pads not carbon pads as well?

Mavic Cosmic Elite S
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S
Reynolds Attack
Zipp 30

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: May 9, 14 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Yes, flo 30, standard pads.

Mavic Cosmic Elite - actually pretty favorable in comparison to Flo 30. Pretty aero

Mavic Kysrium may be the worst wheel in the world performance wise.

Reynolds Attack - dunno

Zipp 30 - pointless wheel imho. Expensiveish for no reason.

cshowe80 wrote:

Mavic Cosmic Elite S
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S
Reynolds Attack
Zipp 30

So of these wheels the only ones I'd be able to use and not change brake pads are the Reynolds? Now if only I can find a Front Attack only wheel to purchase I'd be in luck!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah. I hate dealing with pads too because we race really often.

thus, I have race wheels with metal brake tracks too!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
yeah. I hate dealing with pads too because we race really often.

thus, I have race wheels with metal brake tracks too!

I went the other route and have Reynolds Strikes already which is all carbon all the time hahah I should have thought ahead but at least there is a solution out there for me. al beit a pricier one but at least I'm not dead in the water.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't trust carbon break surfaces on wet roads, especially when needing to stop quickly. I hope we see a trend towards more race wheel options with aluminum brake tracks. I had Zipp Firecrests and went back to Hed Jets. The new Swiss Side Hadron looks interesting if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive set of race wheels along the lines of Flo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my stealth Flo30s back from Wheelbuilder with black sapim cx-ray spokes and Chris King turquoise hubs. The pics don't do the hubs justice. They are something you have to see in person to truly appreciated the color.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just send the rims to wheel to wheelbuilder and they did the rest?
How much did that cost?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VERY nice.

Let me know how you find tire installation. I can install tires on my Zipp Firecrest and Hed Jets by hand. With the Flo 30s, I had to use a couple of tire levers and a hell of a lot of muscle of which I am in short supply. I suspect that switching out the rim tape to something thinner might make installation a lot easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I have some cross rims that need replacing. This could be a fun experiment.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbump wrote:
You just send the rims to wheel to wheelbuilder and they did the rest?
How much did that cost?

Yes sort if, I got the rims and hubs and sent them to wheelbuilder,

The hubs are ceramic so around 750, rims with shipping 190, spokes, nipples, tubeless rum tape and labor to build around 400.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are setup for tubeless so I'm going to run them that way. Not sure if I'll have the same experience as you. It's possible though.

Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although there is not reason you could buy just the rims and have wheelbuilder do the rest. Flo even shipped straight to wheelbuilder for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
VERY nice.
Let me know how you find tire installation. I can install tires on my Zipp Firecrest and Hed Jets by hand. With the Flo 30s, I had to use a couple of tire levers and a hell of a lot of muscle of which I am in short supply. I suspect that switching out the rim tape to something thinner might make installation a lot easier.

When I got my Flo 30s, I ended up ruining 3 tubes and broke a tire lever trying to get a new GP4000s onto the rim. I got so frustrated at my lack of ability to install the tire that I swallowed my pride and took everything down to the LBS for a remedial lesson in tire/tube installation. The mechanic at the LBS even had a bit of a hard time himself but he *did* manage to install the tire with no levers and showed me a few tricks on how to install without ruining the tube or having to use levers. So it was embarrassing for me but at least now I am better skilled than I was at installing a new tire.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Through the tires in the clothes dryer for a few minutes before installing them on the rims.....works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Through the tires in the clothes dryer for a few minutes before installing them on the rims.....works like a charm.

That is a tip that my LBS didn't teach me. Makes sense although I'm glad I learned to do it without using a dryer because I'm not sure with all the other crap I carry around on a ride that I have room for a dryer as well. But for a home-based install I can see how that might help.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's just sexy. Nice build.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you flat, I assume that the tire will be easier to install since it will have stretched a bit as compared to new?

Has anybody replaced the rim tape that came with the Flo 30s with something else, and if so, what? I have to go the LBS later today, so I think I will pick up some thin rim tape and give it a go. I wonder what width would work best?
Quote Reply

Prev Next