Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [chewgl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now lace a PT in that wheel!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the review. I've spent a week trying to find a good road wheelset with the build and components that I want and being a flo 60/90 user, the answer is just under my nose. hahaha.

Waiting for the next preorder...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like my wheels. Sadly my first century with them was in a bit of rain, so the black anodizing came off pretty quick. They are pretty light, seem to roll well, and look good. The only issue, really, is that the lip isn't rounded much at all (at least mine have been deburred, but certainly no rounding - so a .005" radius or so on the outside lip) - so mounting tubes becomes a very patient process as pinch flatting during installation is really, really easy. Still, though, money well spent.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAUG3 wrote:
Now lace a PT in that wheel!

Or sell just the hoop
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. When I got my first set of tubulars (shallow Shimanos) with Vittoria EVO CX tires, the mechanic asked me how I liked the wheels.

My answer was, " I have no idea. But I LOVE the tires!"

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone changed the rim tape on these to something thinner? I'm having a hard time installing tires when I flat. I'm using Conti GP4000s. On my old Zipp 101s, I could do it with bare hands, but not the Flo 30.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [sun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sun wrote:
Has anyone changed the rim tape on these to something thinner? I'm having a hard time installing tires when I flat. I'm using Conti GP4000s. On my old Zipp 101s, I could do it with bare hands, but not the Flo 30.

I wouldn't see why two strips of reenforced shipping tape or two strips of (yellow) Stan's rim tape wouldn't work if the tape is too thick. I use the Stan's on my FLO 60 and Bontrager RL Aero.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [sand101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sand101 wrote:
I also like my wheels. Sadly my first century with them was in a bit of rain, so the black anodizing came off pretty quick. They are pretty light, seem to roll well, and look good. The only issue, really, is that the lip isn't rounded much at all (at least mine have been deburred, but certainly no rounding - so a .005" radius or so on the outside lip) - so mounting tubes becomes a very patient process as pinch flatting during installation is really, really easy. Still, though, money well spent.

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what you mean when you say "the lip". Are you referring to the outside edge of the brake track? Just curious as we like to take in all comments about our products.

Thanks,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
sand101 wrote:

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding what you mean when you say "the lip". Are you referring to the outside edge of the brake track? Just curious as we like to take in all comments about our products.

Thanks,

Correct - the outer edge of the brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up flo 30/60s a couple pre-orders ago. I've been getting a lot of flats with my 30s... not sure if it's just me being a noob or if there is something I'm missing. For what it's worth I haven't had any flats with the 60s and I'm using thinner tubes with those (the 80mm continental "race" tubes for the 60s vs the typical continental tubes for the 30s).

I've been training on my 60s (which are fantastic) until I figure out whats up with the 30s. I'm using new tires with them which makes the installation harder, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm causing the pinch flat there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sand101 wrote:
Canadian wrote:
sand101 wrote:

Thanks,

Correct - the outer edge of the brake track.

Thanks for the info. We'll take a look at that.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [bigmike3541] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you check the rim tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [bigmike3541] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigmike3541 wrote:
I picked up flo 30/60s a couple pre-orders ago. I've been getting a lot of flats with my 30s... not sure if it's just me being a noob or if there is something I'm missing. For what it's worth I haven't had any flats with the 60s and I'm using thinner tubes with those (the 80mm continental "race" tubes for the 60s vs the typical continental tubes for the 30s).

I've been training on my 60s (which are fantastic) until I figure out whats up with the 30s. I'm using new tires with them which makes the installation harder, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm causing the pinch flat there.

1) Remove everything and make sure the inside of the rim is smooth; rough carbon or debris could be popping your tubes.

2) Make sure your tape is seated properly.

3) It's the front tire; although more weight sits on the rear, if you hit something, chances are you hit it with your front tire first. Glass slivers or whatnot could be a problem. If you go through everything and can determine it's road debris, riding a more durable tire on the front might be needed if your roads are crappy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. Was just looking at these wheels last week thinking how good they sound for an overall wheel. Definitely going to have to give a hard look towards getting a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlacVest wrote:
bigmike3541 wrote:

1) Remove everything and make sure the inside of the rim is smooth; rough carbon or debris could be popping your tubes.

2) Make sure your tape is seated properly.

3) It's the front tire; although more weight sits on the rear, if you hit something, chances are you hit it with your front tire first. Glass slivers or whatnot could be a problem. If you go through everything and can determine it's road debris, riding a more durable tire on the front might be needed if your roads are crappy.

Great suggestions. Thanks for taking that one ;)

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea; if you do need a new tire, Continental GP4000Ss are very fast and have pretty good puncture protection. Ive only had one flat, and that was on the rear when I rode a shoulder littered with piles of sand and glass, of which I constantly ran over.

I have GP4000 tires now, as those are the only with color, but I'll be getting 4000Ss when they wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [sun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sun wrote:

I use yellow Veloplugs on my 60s and 30s. Installing tires on the 60s isn't bad, but the 30s seem to take more effort.

As always, I recommend buying a Koolstop tire jack.

--Gene
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I finally got around to checking out my 30s (I have been enjoying riding my 60s around so much that I've been slow to return to the 30s), and it looks like the rim tape is pretty frayed on the edges all over. I'm not sure how that happens. Anyway, I assume this means I need to get new rim tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap option yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Powertap option yet?

We are working on a power solution for 2015. We are weighing our options and hope to have more details come 2014.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should sell a front 30 and a bare rim as a "kit" so people can lace up existing Powertaps. I plan on ordering a pair of 30s and tearing the back one down for the rim. It doesn't make me happy but there arent many good rim options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they come black? or did you take the decals off?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [NJinPHX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes; first thing that came off. I do tell people who ask what wheels they are though, but i really don't like decals on my wheels.

Black color on brake track has come off though, although silver isn't too bad.

Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [NJinPHX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the third paragraph, he de-sticker end them, in his own words
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 30 Wheelset First Impressions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
You should sell a front 30 and a bare rim as a "kit" so people can lace up existing Powertaps. I plan on ordering a pair of 30s and tearing the back one down for the rim. It doesn't make me happy but there arent many good rim options.

That may be an option in the future. At the current time the FLO 30 is still very new and we are using all of our rims for our current production. We also want to control the build/specifications for now since it's such a new product.

I hope that makes sense,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next