Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flipped Base Bar...What's the Difference?
Quote | Reply
Hello ST...

I recently upgraded to an Argon 18 e119. The bike was built to match a retul fit that had been performed before ordering. I just noticed today that the base bar was installed upside down, so the shape of the bar is bowed up rather than down. Not sure if the bike was built like this to match my fit or if it's worth taking back to the shop to get the bar flipped. Before going through that trouble...does anyone have any idea what impact this would have aerodynamically? What is the reason to install the bar upside down?
Quote Reply
Re: Flipped Base Bar...What's the Difference? [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically, it has the same shape and frontal area if it’s up or down, so no difference.
However, it does put you in a less aggressive position when on the brake levers, so that could hurt your aero. HOWEVER, if that provides you with better climbing and cornering from that position, it may be faster for you.

As a data point, Rohan Dennis runs his BMC basebar flipped up. And he’s one of the best TT’ers in the world.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerodynamically, probably no impact.

just gets the ends higher. You may find that better for climbing, or not, but if the bike was specifically set up to match your fit then I'd say leave it as is unless you have a compelling reason to change it (e.g the fit is bad)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant imagine a noticeable difference in aerodynamics for the (the same) bar in either installed state. It would be a symmetrical airfoil shape (unlike a plane wing which is asymmetrical to create lift); there may be some difference with low stack configurations compared to high stack but I have no data to support that.

IMO, The bigger difference will come when you are riding with hands on the base bar (e.g., climbing, technical descending): the flipped up bar would put your torso in a more upright position which would cause more drag. I personally think it is more important to have the base bar in the position that gives you the most confidence during descents, and allows comfort during climbing.
Quote Reply