Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fitting standards for running shoes
Quote | Reply
I've been looking around for a guide or a set of standards or best practices or something that describes the ideal method of fitting a runner with the right shoe. I've found very little. Seems like there is no reproducible process to find the right shoe for a runner. The practice in most running stores seems to be to pick a pronation category by watching footstrike, find the right size in a couple of models, and have the runner pick the shoe that's in stock that feels best.

There's got to be a more deterministic way to do it. Runners spend considerable time, energy and dollars finding the right shoe model for themselves. When we finally get it right, the manufacturer makes some change and the shoe doesn't fit as well anymore. Or we change fitness or strength or running style and our favorite model doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know of some set of standards or guidelines or process for fitting runners with shoes? Something like FIST for feet?

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting standards for running shoes [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... no response all day? With all the ink we spill on getting the exact right fit down to the millimeter on our bikes, I would think someone had put some thought into getting the exact right fit in their shoes.

Anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting standards for running shoes [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much it. There are a few more things you can do, though. FWIW, I used to work in the industry, but it's been a long time. I have fitted hundreds of people w/ shoes in the past, though.
Get a History
-What will you be using shoes for(racing-what distances, training, trail, walking)?
-How many miles per week do you run?
-How long have you been running?
-What has worked for you in the past?
-What hasn't worked for you?
Look at the persons feet
-low arch? high arch? avg arch?
-check foot shape(width of forefoot and width of heel)
-check foot volume
Look at the person's build(heavy,light,avg)?
Determine pronation category from above and by watching footstrike.
Use all of the info to choose a couple of shoes likely to work. Let the customer run in the shoes and watch them if possible.
Get feedback and go from there.

I think the only way to do what I think you're asking(something FISTlike) would be to have all the shoe companies publish the inside dimensions of their shoes at set points- say, forefoot width, heel width, under arch heght, arch depth,heel height, etc...and to measure an individual at these points. Even then, all issues wouldn't be addressed and a perfect fit wouldn't be guaranteed. Other issues would have to be addressed such as the person's running style and "the feel" an individual likes in a shoe. I agree it's frustrating when manufacturers change their shoes. It's frustrating for the salespeople too. The only way to truly know the shape of the shoe on the inside is to try the shoe on yourself, and to hear customer comments on how the shoe fits them. I personally think many of the running injuries that occur can be avoided by wearing the proper shoe and not running in that shoe past its exp. date.
Last edited by: jaylew: Aug 1, 04 11:10
Quote Reply