Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit issue / cranks
Quote | Reply
I recently got a bike fit on my 48cm 2007 orbea Ora. The fitter said we could not get the seat low enough for a proper fit and suggested that I go from 172.5 to 155 cranks since I don't really have much money for a different frame. I am reluctant to make such a drastic change in cranks. I am 5'7 with. 30 inch inseam so that seems short. I was hoping someone may have some feedback or suggestions on the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [fratto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you truly can't get the seat to the appropriate height, it is a well informed suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the poster above. That might seem drastic but, if you look up Cervelo's white paper on crank length, you're unlikely to lose much power (maybe 1%?) and you'll gain that back rather quickly once your body adapts (week or two of consistent riding). For someone your height that's a bit short of normal but certainly not out of the ballpark. If your fitter is solid I'd trust their advice. Being in a proper position will pay dividends faster than you'd imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'8" with about 30" inseam, I have ridden 145-175mm.

155mm or bigger all feel good to me with very no noticeable difference in power.
Shorter than 155mm still work fine they just didn't "feel" as good.

If you run a square taper bb you can get all different crank lengths for around $50-70 a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which companies out there sell the shorter cranks (shorter than 165) that may be able to place some kind of Power Meter onto? Hurts my ego to go shorter cranks :(
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None that I know of. I switched from short cranks and powertap to 172.5mm quarq then back to short cranks and powertap.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the responses. Looks like I need check out some of the gear ratio links I've seen posted and give 155 a shot. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 150's and two sets of 145's. You'll have to do a search and custom order them. I'm 5'8" and love them! I was on 172.5 and I'm so much more efficient now.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking to go with shorter cranks myself also as I recently saw a John Hobbs video on Ytube (he's old-timer guru guy that got Aero "going" with Greg Lemond's aero bikes/bars/RESULTS!) where he was touting the benefits of increased speed, shorter distances covered, efficiency, etc, of "going short."

It certainly "got my attention" and KPH/MPH seeking "juices" going.

Q: Am wondering how much benefit I could gain from going say, to 150mm's, and how long it would take to get there?

I read some threads here that were posted yrs ago where this shorter crank "fad" was just getting started and now I'm reading/hearing its becoming more "the rage/norm" amongst the fast dudes in Tri.

(I'm also thinking I need to go with 53/39's, as I don't (won't?) do anything but "flats" here in SW FL. Feel free to weigh in on this "thought" too please.)

I'm tired of some guys faster than me on the bike leg of sprints/oly's, that don't "look-like" they should be beating me (if ya know what I mean....), when perhaps it may be their "better equipment/tech" than mine as the difference. (am aware, maybe their work-ethic/volume/etc too......yes)

Me: I'm a 21.8 mph avg race result max kinda guy right now, that "puts in the training/work" and wants to go 22, 23, 2?+mph (like everybody else; yep I know....) I'm 55 yrs young, but think/feel like a 33 yr old most days (HalleluYah!!!); 5'10" 163-165lbs (74-75Kg) with 32" pant inseam. I'm guessing to be a 150-250 watt range/max kinda guy, from looking at the Keiser stationary bikes at the gym.

Bike: Giant TCR "Trinity" (19lbs, circa 2007?); 50/34 compact with 170mm "guess-timate" (Tru-Ativ is all I can read on 'em....), and I'm guessing BCD 110mm since its a "compact." I got it off of ebay seller-dude 4yrs ago. It's been a "blessing." Planet X 50mm Tubulars. Adamo Pin 1.1 seat.

Plan/idea: As aforementioned, shorter cranks (150mm) necessary, especially if Oly's and any 70.3's are to regularly scheduled, yr in, yr out.
I'd like a straight up conversion. No shims/shams, extra fit adapters to take away what I'm trying to accomplish, science/tech wise.
GO Lighter!!! Lightest Cranks/Crankset, duly appreciated.
Get lighter aero wheels eventually that don't cost like Zipps do.
Lighter aerobars, Pro missile carbons maybe.
POC Octal race day helmet (somebody say "sale/clearance" please....); very light but/and very expensive (to me....).
Lighter bike rider......me, say at 72-73Kg (tho' a lot of it is water weight we "play" with on the scales, isn't it? lol?!).

But forgive me, I digressed....from main pt, and questions for you guys here who seem experienced/knowledgeable on shorter cranks.

Please, weigh in with whatever "help/advice" you can offer. My post is to anyone of course, but I noticed the last 3 posters as sounding like
they could help out, especially concerning Shorter Cranks.

Thanks in advance from "newbie" member here at SlowTwitch.

>:- )
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Which companies out there sell the shorter cranks (shorter than 165) that may be able to place some kind of Power Meter onto? Hurts my ego to go shorter cranks :(

power2max with Rotor 3D+ cranks are available in 150-180 mm: http://www.power2max.com/...er-meter-and-cranks/
and Quarq PMs are available with cranks as short as 162.5 mm
Last edited by: Pete Schiller: Aug 2, 15 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fratto wrote:
I recently got a bike fit on my 48cm 2007 orbea Ora. The fitter said we could not get the seat low enough for a proper fit and suggested that I go from 172.5 to 155 cranks since I don't really have much money for a different frame. I am reluctant to make such a drastic change in cranks. I am 5'7 with. 30 inch inseam so that seems short. I was hoping someone may have some feedback or suggestions on the situation.
I've never ridden with anything shorter than 170, because that's what's been stock on my bikes, but I do plan on going shorter when I purchase a power meter. I've read the Cervelo white paper, the stuff that John Cobb has written, and probably most everything else that's been written on the topic. There seems to be very little downside to going with shorter cranks for most people and possibly a huge upside for many people. Unfortunately, the majority of the research on crank length is probably driven by the people who make their living dealing with elite athletes, athletes who are a lot younger and more flexible than many of us. I think that if someone was funding research on the subject for AG athletes, you would see more conclusive evidence of the benefits of shorter cranks.

So, while Nairo Quintana is listed as being 5' 6" (he looks shorter than that to me) and is comfortably spinning 172.5 mm cranks, he's half my age and doesn't have the tight hip flexors that I do (although I should work on that). Especially for Tri/TT bikes, it seems like many people, especially those of us who are older or less flexible, would benefit greatly from using shorter cranks. Even if there was a minor decrease in power switching to shorter cranks, for most people, it would allow them to comfortably maintain a much more aerodynamic position, which would far outweigh any loss in power.

It's great for the bike industry that there are people that can afford to buy $8-10K super bikes, but after spending so much money on a complete bike, many people don't want to spend the money to swap out the cranks for something that would allow them to get into a more aerodynamic position. Or they just perceive having shorter cranks as a sign of weakness. Many people who can afford those super bikes would be better off with a lesser bike (e.g. my 2014 P2), an excellent bike fitting and cranks shorter than the OEM cranks, which would allow them to get more aerodynamic overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit issue / cranks [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small Follow up.
Well I made the switch a little over a week ago. I do think my position is much better. However, The first week I was ready to throw them and my bike off a cliff.
The first few days of this week have started to feel much better and I dont feel like I am fighting them anymore.
Hopefully by the end ~ 2 weeks I will be back to normal feeling and can go on with my new fit. I do think my position is much better.
Quote Reply