Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit Evaluation Thread
Quote | Reply
Okay, I just got back on my road bike after it spent a couple years in the corner and it feels all wonky. Here's the short video from the trainer warmdown this morning. Is it simply an adjustment period to get used to it again, or do I need to change some things to get back to a race fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Evaluation Thread [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that a split nose saddle you're riding? i have some observations, but i'd like to know about the saddle first.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Evaluation Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
is that a split nose saddle you're riding?

Yup. Adamo Road, the only saddle that's ever worked for me. I did notice that I ride a little further back on it when I'm on a road bike versus my tri bike, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i find, in the field, that ISM saddles are an imperative for many people in tri, less an imperative for that same person when on a road bike. i'm not trying to talk you out of your ISM, i'm just making sure your saddle isn't conspiring to place you in a bad posture on your road bike.

australian bike fitter steve hogg does not always see things the same way i do, but he has an interesting test that i would like you to try. it's explained in this article of his, if you scroll down to the "Point of Balance" heading.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i find, in the field, that ISM saddles are an imperative for many people in tri, less an imperative for that same person when on a road bike. i'm not trying to talk you out of your ISM, i'm just making sure your saddle isn't conspiring to place you in a bad posture on your road bike.

The only argument I have in favor of the Road is that it is the only saddle that solved the numbness issue for me when I was road racing, and I just stuck with it ever since. I've tried a world of saddles on the tri bike since and always came back to the Road as my preferred saddle, but left my road bike as-is in order to preserve the bike the way I liked it when I was actively riding it.

Then again, I'm 25 lbs heavier than I was in college, so maybe other stuff has changed and gone unnoticed. Further suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do the hogg balance test. report back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you can't get enough set back to find the point of balance? Is that a frame size issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Evaluation Thread [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What if you can't get enough set back to find the point of balance? Is that a frame size issue?"

impossible, i would say. mind, this is for road. this is not applicable to tri. no, not frame size, because the seat post is declined at 73° or thereabouts and while this is not entirely scalable (tall riders require more setback, short riders less, than a single angle of declination would suggest), it's not far off.

that said, one reason why i like round seat posts in road bikes is that you can replace these with posts with various set-backs. but i can't imagine a road bike that doesn't allow you to sit back far enough. that would be a badly designed road bike, assuming your set back is inside a reasonable range.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Evaluation Thread [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to what Slowman said, another common culprit is the saddle or - more specifically - how your body interacts with it. For example, a lot of folks will tilt their saddle down in an effort to overcome discomforts in the genital region or numbness, but that will throw off the balance. How and where you sit on the saddle, the shape of the saddle, your torso length, how much weight you're carrying, your core strength, etc. all come into play.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to look for a saddle with longer rails. I'm on a 2010 Cervelo S1 with the fixed carbon post so I'm stuck as far as changing the post.

I do like the feeling of sitting back on the wings of a saddle. Just a bit nose up to ease pressure on the hands and I'm generally all set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in my current config, with the saddle slammed forward, I can't hold myself for more than a second, tops two. If I scooch back a bunch on the prongs, I can make it 5 sec. I think the big takeaway is that I have a weak core, and my position on the *hoods makes me feel really stretched out with a lot of weight on my palms, so I'm wondering if maybe I need both more setback AND a shorter stem?

The thing I can't figure is that my arms are fairly relaxed, with a bend at the elbow just like they're supposed to have. It seems paradoxical to me that I can feel both stretched out AND relaxed in the same position.
Last edited by: duckies: Jan 18, 17 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who would you say that ISM saddles are imperative for? I'm thinking about switching myself.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think the big takeaway is that I have a weak core"

in my opinion you shouldn't have to expend a lot of core energy to hold the position. if i fit you, i wouldn't let you out of the studio until you were very comfortable in the position.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if i fit you, i wouldn't let you out of the studio until you were very comfortable in the position.

Coming to Charlotte anytime soon? Ha.

Well, it might be time for a refit, then, and see where I end up. Short of that, suggestions? Moving the saddle further back would end up with me in a superman position, so it might be time to swap to a short stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved my seat back about 5mm, tried the test again. Here's the results.

With the seat back, here is how my position looks now.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to answer both your posts: it looks better to me. i'd like to see how you feel about that out on the road. i think you'll like it better.

and, no, i'm not coming to charlotte soon. but i'm coming to raleigh soon, for the slowtwitch road show, in about 6 weeks.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply