Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?)
Quote | Reply
This saturday I will compete in my first (sprint) triathlon. Last year I started with cycling and I decided to train more because I didn't wanted to workout without a goal. So after a few months the day has finally come. But I have a few concerns, not about cycling, but about swimming. Is 750 meter really that hard? I can swim more then 1km using breast stroke but after a few months I cant control my breathing for that long when swimming freestyle. Is this ok? Or am I the only one haha

I will use a wetsuit btw because the temperature of the water will be around 14 degree celcius. So I think this will help me reducing the drag of the water.

The tripak will be underneath the wetsuit I guess?
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [Dennis1404] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just take it easy on the swim, especially in the beginning. You'll be tempted to go fast at the start from excitement, and 'only' 750m can seem like a long way. It's much better to start slowly and pick up your pace when you feel like it that it is to go fast and not be able to keep your head in the water long enough to breathe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just two:
Stay safe
Have fun

That's it. To that end, you should swim in that water, with that wetsuit, a few times before the race. You don't want your first open water cold swim in a wetsuit to be the race itself.

Warm up before the race. Swim if they let you. Or jog around the race venue for a few minutes.

Don't start too hard. Stay calm and controlled early in the swim. (Not sure what personality type you fall when it comes to this... some people are steely eyed missile men when meteorides are inbound, and some panic and get frustrated when they drop a pencil in a public place.)

Be calm and collected when mounting the bike. Don't rush it. Push the bike a few feet past the mount line, and stay to the right so no one crashes into the right side of your bike and knocks your chain off, or worse.

Don't start the bike too hard! Don't crash.

Don't start the run too hard. See the pattern here? Give it a few minutes then open up the gas if you are feeling good and leave it all out on the course. If you are feeling good. Remember the goal is to stay safe and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help me out...what's a tripak?

- The first piece of advice for the swim is to do some practice swims in the wetsuit and in water of similar temperature. If you've never been in a wetsuit before, it can feel a bit constrictive the first time. You don't want to have a panic attack while already worked up about the race.

- Second piece of advice is to relax and have fun. It's your first race. Don't get too worked up. If you have to backstroke or doggy paddle to catch your breath, that's perfectly fine.

- If you breaststroke, make damn sure there's no one behind you or around you. A frog kick to the head of another person can be dangerous.

- 750m is not far...unless you're untrained, in which case it can feel like forever. It sounds like you're still pretty new to swimming, so again, pace yourself and take a break when needed.

- Be safe. On the bike, stay out of the way of other riders who may be moving significantly faster than you. Stay to the far right at all times unless passing, in which case make the pass quickly.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Luck to you Dennis!
Don't forget to enjoy the moment. I remember a year ago at my first sprint tri. I took it really easy on the swim and did a lot of looking around.
It was really awesome to be in the lake with that many people! A unique experience for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys! This will help a lot :)

I don't have a wetsuit myself because I don't know yet if I really like competing in triathlons (but I am almost sure I do ;)) so the wetsuit for saturday is a hired one which I will pickup hours before the race.. So I will jump in the water with the suit on to get used to it because I think it is a whole different feeling then a wetsuit for diving? (I'm a scuba diver)

Tripak = trisuit/triathlon suit haha. My mistake. But a trisuit is a suit that will fit underneath the wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dennis1404 wrote:

Tripak = trisuit/triathlon suit haha. My mistake. But a trisuit is a suit that will fit underneath the wetsuit?

Definitely.

Good luck! I remember every moment of my first race vividly and it was 8 years ago!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't compete the swim. Lots start way too fast creating mayhem only to fade. My first, after the start gun I counted to 10 before actually starting. I stayed behind the fray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really helps if you have some vague idea where you will fall during the swim.

For me, I was a middle pack swimmer in my first race but tried to be thoughtful and start at the back. It was a nightmare. I had no experience in a pack and did nothing but run into people's feet. I had a panic attack after 250 meters and finished in the backstroke after treading water for a minute or so. I still finished the 750m in 17min.

My point is, I had one of the slowest swims and was still only 3-4 minutes behind the bulk of the pack. There is no reason to panic in the swim. Do as the above poster said, take a minute at the start and relax before you go.

The bike and run are straight forward.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Just two:
Stay safe
Have fun

That's it. To that end, you should swim in that water, with that wetsuit, a few times before the race. You don't want your first open water cold swim in a wetsuit to be the race itself.

Warm up before the race. Swim if they let you. Or jog around the race venue for a few minutes.

Don't start too hard. Stay calm and controlled early in the swim. (Not sure what personality type you fall when it comes to this... some people are steely eyed missile men when meteorides are inbound, and some panic and get frustrated when they drop a pencil in a public place.)

Be calm and collected when mounting the bike. Don't rush it. Push the bike a few feet past the mount line, and stay to the right so no one crashes into the right side of your bike and knocks your chain off, or worse.

Don't start the bike too hard! Don't crash.

Don't start the run too hard. See the pattern here? Give it a few minutes then open up the gas if you are feeling good and leave it all out on the course. If you are feeling good. Remember the goal is to stay safe and have fun.

In my opinion, this^^^^guy is the mayor of ST on this topic. The advice doesn't get much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. Welcome to tri.

You'll do fine - report back after the race, please.

Re: Swim, doing a few seconds of breast stroke every now and then can double as a great way to verify your sighting, catch some solid breaths, and move some muscles in a different way. The cost (in time) is minimal. As a first timer - don't worry about speed.

Just keep thinking, "if someone else can do it, so can I."

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use some bodyglide on your neck and other friction spots so you don't get wetsuit rash. Knowing how to put on a tri wetsuit so that it isn't restricting your stroke takes some practice, so either try it out beforehand or at least watch some Youtube videos. You probably know this, but for tri wetsuits the zipper goes in the back.

Use a race number belt (don't pin your number to your shirt), unless you plan to pin it to the trisuit you are wearing under the wetsuit.

Enjoy your first race, lots to learn for the next time...and a guaranteed PR.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear an aero helmet.
Leave it on for the run, your going slower but aero is aero regardless of the speed. So definitely keep it on for the run.

I can lend you one if you do not have one, but you need to keep it on for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
Wear an aero helmet.
Leave it on for the run, your going slower but aero is aero regardless of the speed. So definitely keep it on for the run.

I can lend you one if you do not have one, but you need to keep it on for the run.
Funny.

But thanks guys. Will get some bodyglide and belt for my starting number and then I will report how it went this saturday!

Which watches do you guys use? I use the Garmin Edge 510 on my bike but I'm searching something which can track everything. FR920/10XT would be a overkill for just a sprint distance I think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dennis1404 wrote:
Triagain2 wrote:
Wear an aero helmet.

Funny.

But thanks guys. Will get some bodyglide and belt for my starting number and then I will report how it went this saturday!

Which watches do you guys use? I use the Garmin Edge 510 on my bike but I'm searching something which can track everything. FR920/10XT would be a overkill for just a sprint distance I think

For me...

No watch. I track and later download my ride for speed and cadence. but, don't really need it.

Tech stuff is not necessary, contrary to popular belief.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend a packing checklist. I've seen people forget bike helmets, goggles, race wheels etc. I have a main section, a daypack to bring to the swim start section, and a cold weather section.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: May 5, 15 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy it. My first was on run training only and a mountain bike so you are ahead of me. I about drown on the swim while using every swim stroke along with some I created out there, got passed by EVERYBODY that was behind me after my swim and passed a lot of people walking during the run. I had a blast and it was on after that. The key for me was that I cheered everybody on that past me on the bike and nobody could wipe the smile off my face. I loved it. You will too!!! ENJOY IT.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [hickorynotch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about a watch. You do want cadence on the bike. HR is useful but only if you are competing, or doing long races in which you must pace or you'd blow.

I remember my first race 7 years ago. 1/4ish, 15, 3 miles. Coming in from cycling. Barely knew how to swim freestyle then. My swim was 14 minutes. Mostly breast stroke. Fast guys swam it in 6 minutes. Bike sucked (hey bike was MY thing?) because HR was high until about the turnaround and I could not get into it, then second half I got into it and started riding properly. Run was 21 minutes. I loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before the race starts scout the transition area! Know where you're racked your bike, where the Run and Bike exits are. This will allow you to be focused and stress free in transition which is where you can pick up some serious time. I'm always shocked how much time people spend in there (even in a sprint)!

Always have fun while out there and learn what you can to continually improve.

p.s. - The checklist is another great bit of info another person posted above. I use one every race religiously.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dennis1404 wrote:
FR920/10XT would be a overkill for just a sprint distance I think

Definitely not. I use a helix, 920, wing 57, disk / 808 combo for "just a sprint distance". An advantage is an advantage no matter the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Dennis1404 wrote:

Definitely not. I use a helix, 920, wing 57, disk / 808 combo for "just a sprint distance". An advantage is an advantage no matter the distance.
If not sarcasm? That's probably your 50th race and your time is better than 1:10. Different advice for different folks.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Dennis1404 wrote:

If not sarcasm? That's probably your 50th race and your time is better than 1:10. Different advice for different folks.

My point was that equipment is equally important (or not important) at any distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think this has been suggested yet.....practice taking off the wetsuit (use plenty of bodyglide around ankles/etc). It can be a struggle and frustrating if you don't know how to do it. Undo and pull down the top half when you exit the water and are running towards transition. Look on YouTube and other sources. Also, rehearse your in and outs prior to the race start.....and make sure you remember where your bike is racked. Don't waste time with socks for the run......go sockless. Have your bike shoes already on your bike (use rubber bands to keep level......also on YouTube). Pedal at first with feet on top of shoes....slip feet in and tighten once you get up to speed. Take feet out of shoes just before you approach dismount. It's crazy how so many AG'rs spend so much time in transitions....easy way to make up. Good luck and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Don't think this has been suggested yet.....practice taking off the wetsuit (use plenty of bodyglide around ankles/etc). It can be a struggle and frustrating if you don't know how to do it. Undo and pull down the top half when you exit the water and are running towards transition. Look on YouTube and other sources. Also, rehearse your in and outs prior to the race start.....and make sure you remember where your bike is racked. Don't waste time with socks for the run......go sockless. Have your bike shoes already on your bike (use rubber bands to keep level......also on YouTube). Pedal at first with feet on top of shoes....slip feet in and tighten once you get up to speed. Take feet out of shoes just before you approach dismount. It's crazy how so many AG'rs spend so much time in transitions....easy way to make up. Good luck and enjoy.

sorry, man...but the no sock wearing while running is bad advice for a newbie, as is the tip for quick mount/dismount. Someone new to triathlon needs to keep it simple.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: First triathlon this saturday (Tips..?) [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

sorry, man...but the no sock wearing while running is bad advice for a newbie, as is the tip for quick mount/dismount. Someone new to triathlon needs to keep it simple.

Don't be sorry....actually its not bad advice. Whats more simple....taking time to put on socks and shoes.....or just put on shoes?? Think about it. Its very simple....and for a 5K run a no brainer. Its how I started four years ago as a newbie and its really pretty simple. And easy to save 1-2 minutes in transition times. Trust me....start things off the right way and you'll find it easier in the long run.
Last edited by: gphin305: May 6, 15 16:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next