Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First tri: Entry level wetsuit
Quote | Reply
Never wore a wetsuit before. Many stores don't seem to have suits in the range I can afford so I probably won't find a suit by trying one on. Fortunately I'm deliciously average in terms of build (5'10", 168lbs, 31 waist, 32" inseam bla bla bla) so I think there's a fair chance I'll get a good fit as I did with my bike... but who knows...

I'd like to keep this purchase under $200 if possible, and I've seen two suits that caught my eye, one of which is currently on backorder:

New Orca "OpenWater" at $170, roughly, and
Xterra Vortex at $160 on backorder (deal through the triathlon).

What would you recommend in this price range (<$200) ?
Last edited by: MattiasNyc: Jun 8, 15 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [MattiasNyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the orca products. I have used both the sonar and the S5. I have been pleased with both. I am around a similar build 5'11" 165 lbs with broad shoulders and the size 7 fits me good.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [Jayrod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input.

Actually the broad shoulders that I saw in pictures of the Orca worried me a bit since I'm pretty average, including the shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [Jayrod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayrod wrote:
I like the orca products. I have used both the sonar and the S5. I have been pleased with both. I am around a similar build 5'11" 165 lbs with broad shoulders and the size 7 fits me good.

So what is the difference in the Orca products compared to one another. I know the Sonar is 2 levels up the Orca hierarchy from the S5. What is the real world difference? What are you getting for the extra money?
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As in all wetsuits, the use of different quality neoprene and linings in specific areas which will make suits more buoyant, flexible, SCS coatings for hydrodynamics, durable, etc is what dictates price and user choice. For example, with our top of the line Predator and Alpha wetsuits, we use 0.88mm thick Yamamoto 44 neoprene called 0.88 Free for ultimate flexibility and patented heat-reflective titanium layers for insulation. Those suits differ in their builds with strong swimmers with good body position using Alpha or the combo of flexibility and buoyancy in the Predator. Our 3.8 is the wetsuit for maximum buoyancy while still using SCS coatings and superior linings for the enhancing flexibility.

With our second category suits in the Sonar, Equip and S5, similar qualities exist with the more expensive materials used in certain areas for the same types of different swimmers.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stageracer wrote:
As in all wetsuits, the use of different quality neoprene and linings in specific areas which will make suits more buoyant, flexible, SCS coatings for hydrodynamics, durable, etc is what dictates price and user choice. For example, with our top of the line Predator and Alpha wetsuits, we use 0.88mm thick Yamamoto 44 neoprene called 0.88 Free for ultimate flexibility and patented heat-reflective titanium layers for insulation. Those suits differ in their builds with strong swimmers with good body position using Alpha or the combo of flexibility and buoyancy in the Predator. Our 3.8 is the wetsuit for maximum buoyancy while still using SCS coatings and superior linings for the enhancing flexibility.

With our second category suits in the Sonar, Equip and S5, similar qualities exist with the more expensive materials used in certain areas for the same types of different swimmers.

Hi, I have some questions for you regarding the new "openwater" suit based on a review I read. It said this suit had stitched seams rather than glued ones (I assume on your other suits) and that as a result water leaked through the seams. Is it correct that that is how it is constructed?

Also, what else can you tell us about the difference between this suit and the "next suit up" on the price ladder?
Last edited by: MattiasNyc: Jun 4, 15 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Open Water, we use a mix construction, in which the arms is built with GBS (Glued-Blind-Stitched, that we use in all higher end suits), to maximize flexibility and avoid water leakage, whereas the rest of the suit (black neoprene) is built with flat-lock stitch.

With regards to the "next up" suit, the S5 has significant differences in construction and build compared to the Open Water. SCS coated Yamamoto rubber, different stretch properties in the linings, different thickness neoprene are just a few examples.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an orca s5 and I like it a lot, has a lot of buoyancy
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update.

I think I'll have to make do with a cheaper suit, and I edited the first post to make it clearer. So with that said:

Any other opinions on a sub-200 suit? Category 1 maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Xterra vs. Orca suit [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stageracer wrote:
In the Open Water, we use a mix construction, in which the arms is built with GBS (Glued-Blind-Stitched, that we use in all higher end suits), to maximize flexibility and avoid water leakage, whereas the rest of the suit (black neoprene) is built with flat-lock stitch.

With regards to the "next up" suit, the S5 has significant differences in construction and build compared to the Open Water. SCS coated Yamamoto rubber, different stretch properties in the linings, different thickness neoprene are just a few examples.

Thanks for chiming in.

So seeing that they're obviously differently constructed, can I expect more water in the cheaper suit?

Also, how do people normally 'rate' the difference in buoyancy relative to the thickness? Is there a huge difference going from "openwater's" 2mm to a 4-5mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in NYC, Jackrabbit Sports is getting rid of their rentals, and they're selling them for $100. I just picked up a Blueseventy full sleeved wetsuit for $100. I would try them first.
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Entry level wetsuit [MattiasNyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the Ultrafull by Quintana Roo. The breakaway zipper is pretty slick. You might find a deal on swimoutlet.com

imagine.believe.achieve
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Entry level wetsuit [mark709] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; I'll check out those suggestions. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've now checked out a few more options. The BlueSeventy Fusion was a pain to get on. It also felt very thick and "restrictive" though I could have fitted it better, plus this was the first wetsuit I ever wore. The OpenWater suit was much easier to get on, and felt more flexible. My concern would maybe be that it's much thinner and that the shoulders/arms aren't actually neoprene on the outside. So,

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind:

- How big of a difference can I expect between a 1-2mm suit and one that tops off at 5mm, in terms of buoyancy and warmth?
(I am not a very good swimmer, though I don't suck - and I want to possibly do races in the fall when it's cooler)

- Does 'more flexible' typically mean 'less buoyancy', and are the options spending more energy staying afloat versus fighting a less flexible suit?
(The OpenWater by Orca felt very flexible compared to the B70 Fusion that I tried on, though I could have fit the latter better)

- How weary should I be of pre-worn suits that have been fixed?
(I checked out some used suits and there were quite a few fixed tears in them)

ps; right now I'm looking at getting one of the following;

B70 Fusion USED, with quite a few tears in it (about $100)
Orca OpenWater $170ish
Orca s5, $240ish (arguably over budget)
TYR Category 1, < $200 (I know little about it)
Xterra Vortex, $160, but would only receive it about two weeks before the race!
Last edited by: MattiasNyc: Jun 9, 15 23:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Open Water arms are white neoprene that accepts the orange sublimation better than the black. The orange would not be as good a quality "Hi-Vis" on the black. Re; water leakage and buoyancy, it won't have the same floatation as other suits constructed with thicker paneled construction but will still help in body position over 'no wetsuit'. Same goes re' warmth, although it depends on how cold the water is. Remember, you're exercising and you'll raise your core temp.

Additionally, no matter what manufacturer you choose, flexibility and buoyancy are only relative to thickness and sometimes in technology of Yamamoto Aerodome neoprene that a number of companies use.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: First tri: Entry level wetsuit [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I already (weeks ago) bought a Zoot Force 1.0 as it fit me like a glove. I liked your suits though and if I keep doing triathlons I will consider the higher end Orcas as an upgrade path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you found a good fitting wetsuit!!!! Most important feature in of any product!!!

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply