Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First ride on the Wahoo-KIKR; Need advice on how to best optimize with Power Levels
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I'll admit: I'm a very novice knowledge triathlete that just basically slings mud on the wall and hope it sticks when it comes to my training approaches. I've gotten the right gear to be competitive, but I need to build my knowledge and skills on how to train more effectively. Here comes the bike portion. I upgraded to the P2 this August, rode 1 race, did decent. I've been riding it outside since, and am now comfortable on it. I've recently acquired the Wahoo KIKR which is amazing, and has a power meter which I've never known my stats on before. I rode it for the first time last night, and it kicked my butt. I basically just used the Wahoo app that allows you to change resistance, grade offset, wind offset, or Power Range to be in. That being said, I have NO CLUE what Power Meter setting I should be working out in. I assume that I probably want to go through several different levels every few minutes to perform interval training. However, I'd like to hear opinions and proven methods from those that use them more regularly with success. I plan to purchase a subscription to Zwift/TrainerRoad/CycleOps, something to get me into actually riding virtually on a course. Once I get that, maybe all my guess work will go away. But for now, I have the manual entry to change settings to achieve my results on the rides. Any suggestions will help me, and I am open to anything you might be able to share! Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on the Wahoo-KIKR; Need advice on how to best optimize with Power Levels [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The details how power training actually works on your body is the lot of PhDs but it just all boils down to this basic process: you establish your Functional Threshold Power (FTP) by doing a test (8 minute or 20 minute - look it up) and then that gets used as a baseline for establishing your training zones. Zones are not just a progression of easy to hard but as you move from one to another, you are actually doing something different training wise to your body. Once you have the baseline number for your FTP, you then you use your power meter to do very specific sets of intervals of various lengths at specific power targets (keyed off that FTP) to drive physiological changes to make yourself a faster cyclist.

You can read books and you definitely will learn a lot but running through a well designed season's training plan (e.g on TrainerRoad) but in the short run, read this:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/how-to-get-started-training-with-power/

Last edited by: STP: Sep 19, 17 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: First ride on the Wahoo-KIKR; Need advice on how to best optimize with Power Levels [jwvenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best suggestion is to subscribe to TrainerRoad and pick one of their plans (40k TT, sprint/olympic/70.3/140.6 specific plans, etc). They have you do a "20 minute FTP test" at the beginning of every program. It's pretty much a no-brainer from there. Just show up and pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto to the TrainerRoad recommendation. But, the bigger key is doing an FTP test and then using a training program that indexes the workouts to your FTP. I used the free Kirt Kinetic app for a long time before I got TrainerRoad. I presume it is similar to Wahoo's app-- in that it has an FTP test workout that lets you set an FTP that all other workouts use. The advantage to TrainerRoad is its structured approach. Before, I just sat on the bike and picked a Kinetic workout that seemed good for the moment.
Quote Reply