Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Race - Help!
Quote | Reply
Many of you who have helped/commented on my posts know I'm new to tri this season. My first race is this coming weekend and I'm stressing the most presently about what I might forget. What I need in transition that's not obvious. Anyone have common mistakes I should learn from in advance, helpful tips, items that are must haves but maybe not well known (i.e. sunscreen, chamois cream, etc)? Last minute advice?
Quote Reply
Re: First Race - Help! [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends where your race is being held. If it is in the NE and it is an open water swim, bring some crocs or flip flops to wear before you go in the water, wear a neoprene cap under your cap, don't wear booties, and try and get used to the cold water. Need more specific information about your race to be of better help to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to forget my race belt. Relax, you'll be fine. Here's my checklist:

-transition mat (if it's allowed, or use a towel)
-helmet
-sunglasses
-allen keys (incase I have to make any last minute bike adjustments)
-bike pump (which I take out of transition and put in the car once I check my tire pressure)
-flat kit (tube and co2)
-cycling shoes
-running shoes
-race belt (for your number, generally you put this on when you go out on the run)
-timing chip (given to you at race registration)
-vaseline
-sunscreen
-nutrition (usually just gatorade for me, everyone is different here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last minute advice?......relax and have a good time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the easiest things to forget are my helmet and bike shoes. I headed to Crit last week without my helmet. Luckily I remembered a few minutes from the house and sped back to get it in time. It certainly doesn't hurt to make a checklist and cross things off once they are packed.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just play the whole thing in your mind, from what you're going to take with you to the swim start to what you will do when you get to transition. Try to simplify and remove anything that is unnecessary and can slow you down or make things more complicated than they need to be.

As I round the last buoy on the swim and I'm heading towards the swim exit I think about what I'm going to do when I get to my bike. Keep you transition area clean. No need to stop and eat a sandwich, apply sunscreen or get a massage, stretch, etc... This is a race damn it! :)

T1:
- I leave my shoes on the pedals and use rubber bands to keep them straight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pe31s54EQI) Practice this a few times before the race. It's easy, takes a few tries to get it right.
- Helmet resting on the aero bars with sunglasses inside.

Run to your bike, drop your swim cap and goggles, put your glasses on, helmet, take your bike and go.

T2:
- Socks rolled up, one in each shoe. I use elastic laces for speed.
- Race belt with number attached. I also put my cap/visor and gels taped to the belt.

Rack your bike, put socks on, shoes on. Take your helmet off (really, I've seen a guy run with his helmet on, more than once). Grab your belt and run. Adjust your crap while running.

Easy!

Stuff you may need:
- tire pump although there everyone brings one and you can borrow one in transition
- a multi-tool / hex key in case you need to do small repairs before the race. Don't need to carry it with you on the bike.
- if it's a wetsuit swim: bodyglide - apply it on your neck so you don't get a wetsuit rash
- $2 flip flops from cvs/walmart or get a pair of warm socks for the walk to swim start

Your bike: take everything off! You don't need 4 bottle cages, two bottles of gatorade, lights, bento boxes, 10 gels taped to your top tube etc... It's a 10mi bike ride.

Get in the water before the swim and do a little warm-up. Swim easy for a few minutes, do a few short sprints and come out. You can do an easy jog before the start. You want to get your heart rate up a little bit so you don't go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds when the gun goes off.
If you're not a good swimmer start somewhere at the side and towards the back.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: First Race - Help! [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walk yourself through your transition before the race, that was my mistake at my first race, exitted the wrong way and could not find the run course.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: First Race - Help! [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

Just play the whole thing in your mind, from what you're going to take with you to the swim start to what you will do when you get to transition. Try to simplify and remove anything that is unnecessary and can slow you down or make things more complicated than they need to be.

As I round the last buoy on the swim and I'm heading towards the swim exit I think about what I'm going to do when I get to my bike. Keep you transition area clean. No need to stop and eat a sandwich, apply sunscreen or get a massage, stretch, etc... This is a race damn it! :)

T1:
- I leave my shoes on the pedals and use rubber bands to keep them straight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pe31s54EQI) Practice this a few times before the race. It's easy, takes a few tries to get it right.
- Helmet resting on the aero bars with sunglasses inside.

Run to your bike, drop your swim cap and goggles, put your glasses on, helmet, take your bike and go.

T2:
- Socks rolled up, one in each shoe. I use elastic laces for speed.
- Race belt with number attached. I also put my cap/visor and gels taped to the belt.

Rack your bike, put socks on, shoes on. Take your helmet off (really, I've seen a guy run with his helmet on, more than once). Grab your belt and run. Adjust your crap while running.

Easy!

Stuff you may need:
- tire pump although there everyone brings one and you can borrow one in transition
- a multi-tool / hex key in case you need to do small repairs before the race. Don't need to carry it with you on the bike.
- if it's a wetsuit swim: bodyglide - apply it on your neck so you don't get a wetsuit rash
- $2 flip flops from cvs/walmart or get a pair of warm socks for the walk to swim start

Your bike: take everything off! You don't need 4 bottle cages, two bottles of gatorade, lights, bento boxes, 10 gels taped to your top tube etc... It's a 10mi bike ride.

Get in the water before the swim and do a little warm-up. Swim easy for a few minutes, do a few short sprints and come out. You can do an easy jog before the start. You want to get your heart rate up a little bit so you don't go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds when the gun goes off.
If you're not a good swimmer start somewhere at the side and towards the back.

Good luck!

This is good stuff. All of the advice is great. I am excited and I feel prepared. For those asking, first race is an odd 50mi distance. .8/40.2/8.8. I'm also doing Challenge AC in June, so this is sort of my practice, get it all figured out race.
Quote Reply