Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Posted in 2006: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!
Quote | Reply
Every year, today, I am amazed by the amazing feats by the boys and girls at Ultraman Hawaii...today I was running for 84 min in the trails with my friend Konaexpress, and was sufficiently tired at the end to be happy that the run was ending...then we realized that "THEY ARE RUNNING FROM HAWI TO KONA" today. How amazing is that? We had a hard enough time BIKING from Hawi back to Kona a month ago! Last nite there was a group of us Ottawa guys and gals at dinner, and like any November when the pain of the last race is far enough removed from memory and the pain of the upcoming season is far away, the bravado and smack talk turned to multiple people eventually stepping up to doing Kona, camping on the island for 5 weeks and then doing ultraman...personally, I'd just be happy to crew...Ironman is crazy long enough!

Two years ago it was nuts...I believe Seth Bitting, Jonas Colting and Tony O'Keeffe headed out with a blazing 1:25 openning half marathon, coming through the marathon at 2:59 and O'Keeffe closed with a 6:34....I can't even run a 3:35 marathon at the end of an Ironman and this guys closes day three with an ultraman with a marathon that would beat 95% of the field at an Ironman North America event.

Anyway, is anyone providing "live updates" off the course. They should be about to roll out of Hawi about now!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 25, 12 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and results after Day 2...our man Marty Raymond from Ottawa still up in 4th place, but today is his toughest day...hang in there big boy! As a background, Marty's been racing tris for over 20 years, over his career as a paratrooped in the Canadian Army and then a dental hygenist...but the most amazing part was when he was a 250 lb enforcer in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey league in the late 70's. He shows up for camp as a 17 year old, the coach sends him to centre ice gets him to drop his gloves and go toe to toe exchanging blows to the head with a 4th year 21 year old goon. Marty survived the "cut" in that tryout, so the boy is used to some punishment. Hopefully he can dig 24 years into the memory bank for the stretch from Waimea to Kona airport!

1 Gary Wang 39 USA 16:41:51
2 Jeff Landauer 39 USA 17:03:03
3 David Goggins 31 USA 17:18:14
4 Martin Raymond 44 CAN 17:45:46
5 Dan Brown 0 AUS 17:54:37
6 Ariel Martinez 34 USA 18:17:42
7 Fred Coogan 43 USA 18:21:36
8 Cory Foulk 48 USA 18:46:43
9 Shane Eversfield 49 USA 18:52:47
10 Roger Lehman 45 USA 18:54:01
11 Shanna Armstrong 32 USA 1 19:07:48
12 Juan Craveri 38 ARG 19:54:41
13 Roland Patziina 40 GER 20:15:38
14 David Benwell 47 USA 20:50:31
15 Kenjiro Kato 37 JPN 21:05:43
16 Daryl Allen 56 AUS 21:12:49
17 Suzanna Degazon 42 PR 2 21:48:40
18 Jon Powell 49 USA 22:00:42
19 David Knight 42 AUS 22:17:48
20 Ed Chang 33 USA 22:18:19
21 Bertrand Dor 55 USA 22:46:00
22 Elizabeth Thompson 54 CAN 3 23:04:39
23 Leslie Holton 38 USA 4 23:06:14
24 Rouse 54 USA 23:13:56
25 Sean McFadden 26 IRE 23:16:31
26 Darin Layman 45 USA 24:05:24
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Two years ago it was nuts...I believe Seth Bitting, Jonas Colting and Tony O'Keeffe headed out with a blazing 1:25 openning half marathon, coming through the marathon at 2:59 and O'Keeffe closed with a 6:34.."

That was Lon Freman not Seth. Seth was back a bit running a more sane pace.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very informative, especially the part about Canada having an Army ;-)

In all seriousness, these guys are simply crazy and their feats are amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!! [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, sorry, I got Seth and Lon confused. Yeah, that openning 1:25 pace was insane...what the hell were those guys thinking? I think O'Keeffe thought he was in a double version of the Mark Allen vs Dave Scott battle that day!

Do ya know anyone on crew doing Blackberry updates like you did a few years ago?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing this year. I called Jane’s cell phone last year for an update but she has her hands full so I will pass. I am Happy for Gary Wang, great guy and he is a runner first so he should hold on for the win. I wish Marty the best as well, that dude is a nut and a hell of a fun guy. What happened to the rest of Team Canada? This is the 04 26.2 checkpoint with Lon and Jonas. Tony is just out of the pic to the left.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, that picture is priceless...the time on the picture (11am) is the proof of that legendary 2:59 opening marathon...and three dudes going through at the same time is just insane! They really made it "a race" !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev ... even more amazing was Peter Kotland in 1997 ... while winning the race overall he ran 5:33 for the double marathon ... i believe he went thru the first half in 2:44'ish ... couple side notes. The finish line wasn't quite up and ready for him when he finished AND Pete was disappointed he didn't negative split the run! HA

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO ARIEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yeah, that openning 1:25 pace was insane...what the hell were those guys thinking?"
-------------------------------------

Jonas was probably thinking about setting the record for Ultraman.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They really made it "a race" !

It was a race from the gun. These are my favorite pics from the day.

Game On!

How Far to Kailua?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, some pics from 2006 from the the German 3athlon.de website:

Day 1 (Friday)...ready to roll at Kailua Pier

The Ocean is looking a bit more like glass than in October:

Our boy Marty coming towards the Kona Surf and Raquet Club nearing T1 at 10K

Shanna Armstrong looking strong on Day 2

Day 2 riding through lush Tropical Rain forests, a sharp contrast from the looming day 3 double marathon from Hawito Kona:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's one of the few remaining events that pulls at my soul...

Log this...I WILL be toeing the line at UM Canada or UM Hawaii in 2007...

It's time to put-up or shut-up and next year Intel gives me sabbatical so there are no excuses.

Cheers,
Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!! [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon,

You are a better man than me. For your 2007 INTC approved sabbatical (so that is what my undevalued shares are going to....) you should do the Kona+UM Hawaii double, and just park yourself on the island for 2 months...

I just can't imagine running 84.4K. As I said to some friends, the only things I do over that distance is sit in an airplane, sit in a car, sit on a bike seat, and once a year, ride my XC skis for 100K...which I will be doing on March 3rd (www.boreal100Kloppet.ca).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone getting any run splits, specifically Ariel Martinez?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!! [Du-Blue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mind hearing how Dan Brown is going.
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so let's get this straight - today, you and Konaexpress run 84min, and these guys and girls are running 84 KM ?? Now THAT is humbling.

I'm telling you though, the best way to do this stretch of road is not riding or running, but driving day 3 of the Ultraman as a support crew member. Last year I got to be on Michael Hanreck's support crew and it was a riot. While Michael was swim-bike-running around the island, I got to hang out with his girlfriend Emmie (now wife - congrats guys!) in an air-conditioned SUV. It wasn't all roses though, as we had a job to do. On the bike it was tough enough, with bottle handoffs, clothing changes, mechanical adjustments, moral support, and even a TdF-style wheel change. But the RUN, now that was another story.

I can tell you that all the athletes last year were doing the Dev-approved positive split, even Shanna who we dropped but who later caught back up with 500m left to go (a drag race to the finish on the old airport runway after 515km of racing - crazy!). On the other hand, us support folks experienced the opposite, doing the run as a long descending set of aid stations, with leapfrogging distances growing ever shorter as we approached the finish. At first, every 2miles we set up an aid station. Soon that became every 2km, then every mile. By the time we got to the Airport and Energy Lab, we were going at a manic pace, filling bottles, bandanas and hats with sport drink, coke, ice and water from the cooler in the front seat as we sprinted past Michael by another 400m. Somehow he went through 4L of coke even though he didn't start drinking it until well into the second marathon, and I remembered that the rental car lot at the airport had a coke machine - I left Emmie on the side of the road as a lone aid station and drove like a maniac to get there and back to pick her up for the next leapfrog.

It was an awesome experience, but we were lucky to have such a solid athlete in Michael - he was more self-sufficient and even-keeled than most competitors, so running support for him was fun. He also came second in his rookie UM, so he was no slouch out there either!

Michael well into the second marathon (smiling on the inside I'm sure!)

Team Hanreck post-race

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, awesome story...we might have to crew soon for Zoe (aka KailuaQueen...)
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh shit, thanks for that. I've GOT to do it!!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
By the time we got to the Airport and Energy Lab, we were going at a manic pace, filling bottles, bandanas and hats with sport drink, coke, ice and water from the cooler in the front seat as we sprinted past Michael by another 400m.

You were filling bandanas with coke? That's weird.

-C

Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF for a 4xIronman per year guy this will be up your alley!
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
By the time we got to the Airport and Energy Lab, we were going at a manic pace, filling bottles, bandanas and hats with sport drink, coke, ice and water from the cooler in the front seat as we sprinted past Michael by another 400m.

-C

Are YOU in the Zone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Not too far from the truth - I feel sorry for the folks at the rental agency who had to clean out the SUV when we returned it after the race!

Are YOU in the Zone?
Quote Reply
Re: They are RUNNING from Hawi to Kona today!!!!...updated with Ultraman Day 1 and Day 2 pics! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
CCF for a 4xIronman per year guy this will be up your alley!

Well, three per year. But I did do three halves as well, so that's like 4.5 in a year, right? I'm in for three again in 2007. Trying to get lots of experience before I start "racing".

But Ultraman would be so cool. I can imagine doing the swimming and the biking (slowly), but a double marathon? What's that about? Insane!! Everytime I look at the website my fiancee says, "Why are you looking at that? You never get to do it." (Smiling, of course).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to Ariel Martinez. If the news is correct from Hawaii he came in forth and ran 8:33 and change for the double. Great job Ariel! Are you riding Saturday ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next