Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Olympic bike questions
Quote | Reply
I'm a runner. I did my first sprint 2 weeks ago. I placed third in newcomers division. I did well on the run but sucked on the bike and the first open water swim freaked me out a bit.

When I started training for this olympic I made the mistake of focusing on the run more than the other disciplines. Can you tell I like running?

I have about 4 weeks left to train and I've cut my run running from 40 miles/week down to 25/week. I've increased time on the bike and the pool.

I was on the bike 3 times this week: 90 min ride on trainer, 40 mile ride outside, 45 minutes on trainer.

I averaged 18 mph in the sprint and want to get faster for the olympic coming up. What can I do in the next 4 weeks to get faster? Just ride more? More intervals? More on trainer? Add clip on aero bars? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: First Olympic bike questions [Squeaky Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squeaky Dan wrote:
What can I do in the next 4 weeks to get faster? Just ride more? YES - lots more More intervals? YES - lots more More on trainer? YES - lots more
Quote Reply
Re: First Olympic bike questions [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clip on aero bars worth getting? Do I have time to get used to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They (clip on's) can't hurt, unless your Independent bike-fit &/or bike geometry sucks. Best u go down to LBS and ask them their opinion of aerobars and would they "throw ya a freebie" by just putting you in decent aero position, should u buy said clip-on's/aerobars from them. (they're not cheap, "retail" wise)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, get some clipon aero bars. Get something like the Profile T1+ bars; they are super-adjustable (important since you will probably dial in your position over time).

Biking more will help. A lot of bike training is like fartlek, a moderate ride with hard efforts (often a climb) interspersed during the ride.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Expecting to go faster on a race twice the distance may be a stretch. Aim for 19 but be happy with 17.5 :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerobars will help and a heart rate monitor will probably be very beneficial to you. Especially with this short of a time frame. Later down the road, if you get real serious, you can try a powermeter. If you are focusing on this race and it is your last one of the year then I would focus on the distances offered in the race. You are not spending much time on the bike....
-get a long ride in each week(atleast 2-3 hrs at a somewhat challenging pace) and

-1 speed ride each week(legs are really burning for atleast 20 mins with a 10-15 minute warm up and cool down) and

-a medium ride(everythings in between the other 2 rides)

The week of the race....cut everything in half...distance and intensity.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clip on aero bars is the easy answer and probably the most you can do in 4 weeks.

If a newer runner were to ask you how to improve in 4 weeks you'd probably explain that there is little one could do in such a short time to see significant improvement. The best advice would be to look for improvement in form and pacing. Then look for a plan to get you where you want to be further down the road.

My first tri I averaged 19.1 on the bike and recently averaged 21.8 at the se distance. I got there by training consistently and with purpose.
Quote Reply