Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Ironman- Training?
Quote | Reply
Making the jump from 70.3 distance to the 140.6. I have a young family so training time is hard to come by. How long before race should I start training? Any good training plans out there? Thanks in advance for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman- Training? [Tribags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Making the jump from 70.3 distance to the 140.6. I have a young family so training time is hard to come by.

I'm trying to consolidate these 2 sentences (well, your whole post really) into something that resembles "WHY?" Or, why not focus all of your IM energy into your family? 140.6 ain't going nowhere so you don't need to be in a rush to get there.

To answer your questions, you should start training 9+ months out. There are lot of training plans out there but 'good' is sorta subjective. Here's and example of a free plan. Volume is key. The jump from 70.3 to 140.6 is rather significant in terms of training and execution.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 months of focus and 2 months of "training to train" for me.

I have a 5 year old and a 1.5 year old.

Tips:
- Monday to Friday i do 2 hours of training from 5:30-7:30am.
- I run at lunch time up to an hour.
(Absolute max 15 hours mon-fri during peak period)

- Saturday off and dedicated to family.
- Sunday my wife and I agreed that I can do whatever I need to do until noon. So if I head out on my bike at 6am sunrise in June I can get a 5-6 hour ride in
-sleep at 9pm

This pattern has been very successful for me

You could ask my wife how much I train and she wouldn't know if it was 5 hours or 20 hours a week. To me that's a success as family is not disrupted

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Properly training for 70.3 and 140.6 should take about the same amount of time.

When should you start?
You never should have stopped.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early mornings are key in my Ironman training world. I've got three kids under 11 and they are all into sports and other stuff. When the training really picks up it can get crazy but I seem to have things nailed down and I try to minimize the impact. Don't forget all the time filling bottles, prepping "decent" food and, oh yeah, rolling the calves! Trainer workouts are key too because you can do them whenever and there is hardly no prep. Wake up and jump on the bike. Go for it!
Quote Reply