Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First IM Advice
Quote | Reply
So I just signed up for IMMT, my first attempt at the full distance after doing Timberman last year. What do you wish someone had told you before training for your first Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [boszoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do alot of biking on alot of hills. Train like you hope to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we're talking about our first, I'll say merely clocking in/out of the training time may get you to finish, but finishing in 16.5 h (me at IMLP) is bleeping painful. Better to work harder in some training sessions and knock a few hours off your race time (IMMT).

Also, find something you're comfortable wearing all day. Don't waste 20 min in transitions changing outfits, chewing the fat, whatever it is people do.

Oh, and just because there is such a thing as special needs does not mean you should plan to use special needs. I think of this for stuff you can't go on without, that if you lost it on course, well thank goodness you have a back-up in your SN bag. Don't stop for a comfy lunch just b/c you packed a SN bag. It may make some people feel psychologically good, but it's an unnecessary time suck (IMO).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that hard, or it's as hard as you want it to be (depending on your mental approach to racing).

In other words: barring disaster, you'll finish at some point, or, if you're gunning for a particular time make sure it's realistic and you're prepared to hurt to get it.

There's others on the forum that could contribute more/better advice on training, but my only takeaway is look at the course profile and train to it (Flat? Train at being aero for hours; Hilly? Hit the hills)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't just practice running off the bike a lot, practice running at a sensible pace off the bike (ie SLOWER than you feel like you need/want to). After having the ground zoom by under your gaze for many hours at a relatively high rate of speed, when you start running, tendency is to feel like you are running horribly slow, when in fact you are not. So you press, and end up running too fast. Even figuring that out at the first mile marker, if you are using your watch, can be too late. Use watch and landmarks or GPS or whatever to make your t-runs realistic. Goal is to get comfortable, not to win the t-run. Just because you can come off an 80-100 mile ride and kill yourself to run a couple of miles at X:00 doesn't mean you should. Run slow, get into rhythm, and practice exactly what you'd ideally do in the race (which is not only not start too fast, but begin eating/drinking as soon as you can) - even though you're only going for 20-40 minutes, pretend you are going to be going for hours. Drink at each mile if that's the plan in the race (take a bottle to facilitate that). Have that first gel and maybe the second one. Bonus benefit, your recovery will be better than if you battled through the t-run with no intake just because you could get away with it and collapsed on the couch.
Last edited by: skip: Nov 25, 15 16:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that you don't have a biking background .... if you think that you've bike enough, you're wrong. Bike more :) That's what I wished I bought into when training for my first IM.

Quote | Reply
if you dont own a quality trainer you probably should invest in one ...only way I could get the biking in and i got it half way through my training
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained for my first Ironman by focusing way to much on long bike rides and long runs. It taught me to be slow. What I wished I had done more, was include more shorter,high intensity work, especially on the bike ie hill repeats, sprints and alot of interval work. I followed the Fink Be Iron Fit plan for my first IM Florida, his plan did not include nearly enough interval or speed work, It never really took me out of my comfort zone.
I would also emphasize practicing your race day nutrition over and over again, I over hydrated and over gel'd on the bike and started my run bloated and very nauseated.
I am signed up for IMMT as well in 2016 and I will be living on the hills all throughout training this time around.

The most important piece of information that I can give, is to enjoy every minute of it. It will be over before you know it. Enjoy the Journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a lot of swimming biking and running leading up to the race lmfao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be consistent.

Make excuses to train, don't make excuses to not train.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same, Timberman first 1/2IM followed a yr latter by first full IMMT. I was not ready for the hills at IMMT, if i had a "do-over" would have gone up and biked the course 6 months prior and would have trained on more hills 100%, IMMT was first time i had ever climbed over 6k ft in a single ride. But as some other people said all about what your goals are and your training consistency.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

It's actually not too much more complicated than this.

I would focus on figuring out how to achieve a lot of training sessions in a given week, even if duration is short for each in the beginning, before you start building for the race. Big challenge with IM training for folks who have time pressures (job, family) is getting the training in without your entire life getting out of whack. Think it's safe to say, it WILL most likely lead to a life imbalance...but you have to be able to figure out how to minimize the effect on work, family, etc. To me, that's what allows you to keep on track with training.

So... if you have to do super early sessions...start training your body, schedule, etc... to do just that. Or midday/lunch, post-work... whatever works best for you. Build that structure (even if short sessions right now)... you'll be able to add on duration/distance/load when the time calls for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun and for get the rest....
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

It's actually not too much more complicated than this.

I would focus on figuring out how to achieve a lot of training sessions in a given week, even if duration is short for each in the beginning, before you start building for the race. Big challenge with IM training for folks who have time pressures (job, family) is getting the training in without your entire life getting out of whack. Think it's safe to say, it WILL most likely lead to a life imbalance...but you have to be able to figure out how to minimize the effect on work, family, etc. To me, that's what allows you to keep on track with training.

So... if you have to do super early sessions...start training your body, schedule, etc... to do just that. Or midday/lunch, post-work... whatever works best for you. Build that structure (even if short sessions right now)... you'll be able to add on duration/distance/load when the time calls for it.

Totally agree with both of this. I did my first IM in September, Tahoe. Didn't follow any training plan, just got out everyday and did something with a long bike/run brick on the weekend. I was up at 4 am and did a workout before work, and did something else, usually a run, during my lunch break. My wife also did Tahoe so there was two of us balancing family life...two kids, 8 and 6, both in sports. But, we were able to get it done without sacrificing too much family time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of Zone 1 running. Get your run efficiency as good as possible, even if it means running slower then you think you should. Also helps keep injuries at bay.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [Bwenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for all the advice, it's all very helpful, particularly focusing on hills and Z1 effforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not set a finish time goal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and somewhere within driving distance for your first
Quote Reply
Re: First IM Advice [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why's that?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat three pies to counteract any condescending remarks about your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish someone had told me how much triathlon cost.
I was one of those idiots who Ironman was the first triathlon I ever registered for.
Previously I just ran.

I needed to buy a bike, cycling shoes, helmet, cycling clothes, flat repair kits and tools, cycling clothes, triathlon kit, wetsuit, goggles, training swim suit, nutrition, bottles, floor pump, race belt, multitool, pedals... I can't even remember the rest it was so long ago.

I think I spent 25% of my total salary that year on triathlon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good advice already.

Learn pacing which is important on your long rides and runs.

Run more often rather than focusing in on your long runs.

Figure out what makes you tick and why you want to do an IM, and keep those things in mind when training and when training is challenging to get in.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first this Oct at Maryland and had a great time and a great race. It was the only triathlon I have done in which I executed everything like I planned. It is also the only long distance race I have done that wasn't a painful disaster (one mary two HIM).

IMO Consistency trumps all in preparing for a full distance IM. I think it is more what I did over the proceeding year than the specific training plan I followed. Start early and find a way to fit 3 swim 3 bike 3 run workouts in your schedule and stick to it. Focus on extending the distance in the last 12 weeks going into the race especially on the bike. I was able to get two long rides in a week one Tues am and one Sat which worked out really well.

My previous long distance races all ended badly due to nutrition. Get it right or you will have a miserable day. Don;t over think it and try to use course nutrition. I used infinite, bonk breaker bar and banana on the bike, Gels and Base salt on the run. Make sure you take in all the calories you planned on the bike, I had to force the last bottle of Infinite down and glad I did.

I am big on setting goals but you have to realistic. I set very modest time goals for the race based on my training and what I was certain I could execute. I paced the race exactly like I planned and never struggled or hurt the entire day. In the end I probably left some time out there but I had a great day and finished the race running progressively faster the last three miles and a sprint to the finish. Now that I completed one i will know better how to suffer, for the next one I will race for a number and it will probably be a painful disaster lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on what your background is and what your goals are, you are there to either Compete or to Complete. This being your first, my guess is that it is to Complete (the distance). If that is the case...
  • as another poster said, get used to a higher # of workouts (workout frequency)
  • build mileage steadily, not rapidly (body needs to adapt to training load)
  • train a mixture of speed/intensity and mileage, not only for the physio benefits, but the mental benefits
  • make easy days EASY, and hard days HARD (there should be a big disparity in speeds/efforts for these workouts)
More important that the three items above...
  • this is recreation and supposed to be fun...have fun with it (the training journey). Incorporate friends and family as much as you can.
  • sufficient rest (get plenty of sleep and take a day off here or there, and take several days off in a row every couple of months)
Good luck with the journey ahead!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not poop the morning of the race. Just let it come out naturally in the water. great energy rush, plus you can look out on the water after the race and say "i shit in you".

You're welcome
Quote Reply

Prev Next