Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First IM 140.6
Quote | Reply
What factors should someone consider in the 140.6 that is less of a factor in the 70.3 or shorter distances races?

I have done three 70.3's and several other distances but this is my first go at the 140.6. Seems like a major difference between the 140.6 and 70.3 is that you can over-bike the 70.3 and still hold on for a reasonable run but over-biking the 140.6 would crush all hope of solid run . . . Just trying to pick ST's brain as I gear up for IM TX (yes, I know IM TX was a topic of controversy last year but it's close to home for me).
Quote Reply
Re: First IM 140.6 [TheMallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is twice as long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutrition & Pacing will make or break your day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one major difference is being able to race with your head as much as your body. A lot of what I mean in controlling your pace in spite of the race-atmosphere and not making it a miserable day by over-biking. Yes, it's twice the distance, but things like nutrition play a larger role in going that extra distance. It's not about the volume because (in my opinion) if you can do a 1/2 you can do a full. But you need more restraint and an increased need to take in a lot of fuel.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM 140.6 [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do you depend on the run course for nutrition? In the 70.3 I'd take two gels and rely on the course for liquids only.

Would you describe the run twice as hard (since it's double the distance haha)? Seems like (from what I've read) folks walk a bigger percentage of 140.6 compared to 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM 140.6 [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Nutrition & Pacing will make or break your day

That's pretty much it. Know how to pace (power / HR / whatever). Be patient, it's a long day. Have your nutrition 100% dialed in from long weekends.

Oh, and then there's the weather. But not much you can do about that other than adjust your nutrition (and possibly pace / expectations) as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what everyone said but I also want to add mental toughness. I cant speak for everyone as we are all different but at that distance, it feels like it will break you or at least try to. It hurts and you have to think if you can push through the pain. You might have experienced it at your other race but for me, I think the IM is a different beast and hurts the most.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I practice eating during training to get myself comfortable eating while racing. On the bike I'd try to take in 300 calories an hour if I can. Some of that could be gels and Gatorade. (I refuel from the aid stations.) on the bike I also ate a couple bonk breakers just to have a little something solid in my stomach as it's a long day. Grab a banana or slice of watermelon too. It's right there... so practice taking hand ups in training too. On the run I went with gels but took in some water and coke at each aid station. The cola believe it or not was a great way to get in the calories later in the day when taking another gel will gag you.

As far as the run being twice as had... not really. For many the run will be plodding along at a slower pace than what you could do at a 1/2. What I did was run a tolerable pace and walk each aid station to get in my fluids. The brief walk each mile is something to look forward to later in the race when the body starts to be pushed beyond normal limits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Additionally to the nutrition comment, make sure your equipment, especially the bike, is in perfect condition. If something is isn't working perfectly, most probably it will break mid race, bringing you either to a DNF, or giving you unnecessary headaches during the race. It's not something you need at that point in time.
Quote Reply