Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Crit Thoughts from weekend
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I said I would tell you all my thoughts and impressions, so here they are.

First, thanks heaps for everyones advice on how to approach my first bike race. Can't tell you how many times I went back to that thread and made sure I tried to understand all of the different perspectives and process all the info.

I had the time of my life. There were about 25 guys in the race, and we raced for 45mins + three laps. I only had two objectives for the day: to turn up and start, and then to finish unscathed. Proud to say that I successfully completed both.

Did my fair share of work on the front, did not get yelled at and actually was complemented after the race on the way I handled the bike. It turns out that the course was really tight (not that I knew that, having nothing to compare it to!!), with one REALLY tight turn of less that 90 deg. I found that I had to be much more assertive with where I wanted to ride, and it was almost like there was a totally different etiquette to what you would expect on a weekend bunch training ride. There was a lot more talking than what I was expecting - people telling each other how they felt, indicating where they were going to ride etc. I have never concentrated so hard on the bike in my life!!

Anyway, at the end, my legs were burning as much as they have ever been, and my mouth so wide open that you could have parked a bus in there. But it was that bizarre pain that borders on pleasure - totally different to the pain you feel when you run across the line in a tri, but still kind of similar.

Anyhow, I could gab on for hours about how the race panned out, but that would be boring. All I really wanted to say was thank you for the kind advice and support - without that, there was no chance I would have even contemplated it.

Oh yeah. I came 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit Thoughts from weekend [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job, glad you had fun. Once I started to bike race my bike times dropped to what they were when I raced full time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, kudos to you OTG. Did you do this on a tri-geometry bike or road-race geometry one?

I've done several more races than you and I still can't finish with the breakaway pack at the end.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit Thoughts from weekend [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced on a road bike - my beautiful Colnago baby.

Was kinda funny really. My buddy was racing for the first time, and got a rush of blood to the head and broke away with about 5 laps to go. I just sat on the front of the bunch watching him pull away and wondering why no one was chasing. Eventually some other guy asked me if I wanted to chase him down, and I was feeling OK so we gave a litte surge. No one came with us so I was thinking that maybe my buddy could win and maybe I could come third.

He ran out of gas, so did the guy who I was chasing with (by his own admission during the chase he was not really helping me that much) and then I got pipped at the line by about a half a bike from some guy who came out of nowhere!!

Bugger!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...and I was feeling OK so we gave a litte surge...
You chased down your own friend? Dang, I'm glad you and I aren't "friends." :)
Quote Reply
Re: First Crit Thoughts from weekend [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faux pas? That would explain why he took that swing at me afterwards...
Quote Reply