Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Century Ride - Advice please
Quote | Reply
I signed up for my first Century ride this weekend and haven't ridden this distance before. Historically my longest rides have been 3h (at around 20mph), though over the past couple of years I have rarely ridden for longer than 1h30m. I have a power meter and HRM, know my FTP etc. What advice would you give about power output level, nutrition etc? Thanks.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride - Advice please [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Manage your hydration and nutrition. At least half a banana at each rest stop.
2. Ride about 10% slower than you normally would.
3. Have fun! If you can ride 20 miles, you can ride 100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride at about 65% FTP. Eat a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go as fast as you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
I signed up for my first Century ride this weekend and haven't ridden this distance before. Historically my longest rides have been 3h (at around 20mph), though over the past couple of years I have rarely ridden for longer than 1h30m. I have a power meter and HRM, know my FTP etc. What advice would you give about power output level, nutrition etc? Thanks.

Other than you haven't done long rides, you give us no info. How many hours do you ride and at what intensity per week? How accurate is your ftp and when did you last check it? What weather conditions?

Hydrate and nutrition are key!

If you feel good 50-60 miles in, don't start hammering it.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride - Advice please [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Don't skimp on the chamois cream...
2. Don't get sucked into riding with people substantially faster than you. Ride within yourself.
3. Hydrate.
4. Don't eat too much. It's only a hundred miles...

Can't think of anything else now. It's been 24 years since I did my first century. Good times!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay out of the wind and find some decent riders to work with. Presumably you've ridden with others before and are comfortable drafting? If not, just watch what others are doing and ride smoothly and in a straight line. Be aware there may be someone sitting on your wheel so try and signal if you have to brake. Eat/drink ~250 Cals/hr.

If you can ride solo for 3 hrs @20mph you should be under 5 hrs for the century with a group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Push hard at the start and lear where your braking point is!!!! That will be most fun and painful!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring your tri bike and ride aero in the middle of a pack. They'll love how you are showing off your tri bike handling skills.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride - Advice please [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. I was surprised how hard I was able to in my first century ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:

Just ride. Go fast sometimes. Go slow sometimes. Learn what riding 100 feels like.

Enjoy yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other fun side stories, I have ridden two centuries with two friends who had never done one before. The first one commented at about mile 60 that "this is the farthest I have ever ridden before." We were the first two to finish that ride.

The second one, at about mile 80, my other friend said "this tells me everything I need to know about never wanting to do an Ironman."
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride - Advice please [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Stay out of the wind and find some decent riders to work with. Presumably you've ridden with others before and are comfortable drafting? If not, just watch what others are doing and ride smoothly and in a straight line. Be aware there may be someone sitting on your wheel so try and signal if you have to brake. Eat/drink ~250 Cals/hr.

If you can ride solo for 3 hrs @20mph you should be under 5 hrs for the century with a group.

x2

Find a group as early as possible and save your energy.

Take your own fuel nutrition.

Give your bike a good check over a few weeks beforehand ie brakes, tyres, chain.

Carry a few tubes and flat kit

Enjoy yourself, you'll be fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they have pickle juice at the rest stops, definitely have some. At least twice!
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride - Advice please [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand this. We have many, many customizable (or over-the-counter) nutrition options that would provide the same value of pickle juice, plus other nutritional value that the juice wouldn't provide and don't don't taste like...welll.. pickle juice...it's 2017 not 1980. Surely OP can find better options.
Quote Reply