Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene
Quote | Reply
I was able to complete my first full Ironman this past weekend. I thought I would share my experience for others that may be attempting their first full.

Training
I started out religiously following the training plan on the Ironman website (and even over doing it at times). However, my training really tapered off in the past 2 months leading up to the race. I had done one half marathon 6 months prior to the race but other than that had only run 10 miles at my longest. Going into the race, my calves and knees were sore from a long run 2 weeks before. I ended up using KT tape which seemed to help.

Race
Swim
I felt good on the swim due to completing multiple open water swims prior to race day. The water was perfect temp and super clear. I was able to swim without having to sight by just looking for swimmers underwater. I was able to see swimmers nearby thanks to the clarity. Normally I swim to the far right to avoid battling other swimmers. The first 1/4 of the swim I was on the right all by myself. As I was feeling good, I decided to move inwards for the rest of the swim. I did get kicked a few times but felt pretty good.

Bike
I rented a QR bike for this race. I normally ride a road bike so it was an adjustment to using a tri-specific bike. There were two 65-mile laps. The first lap went well although there were lots of long climbs. The second lap was...hell. One of the worst headwinds I had ever ridden in popped up. So not only were we climbing and climbing, but we were riding at a snail's pace due to the wind. What would have normally taken me 5.5 - 6 hours took me over 7 hours.
On the decent back, I was pushing the pace. I had a speed wobble at one section that scared me to death. I was riding 43 mph at the time when a gust of wind came by and lifted my front tire. Then the handlebar started shaking left and right. I was in the bars but was able to get one hand on the brake to slow down. The next rider I passed had the same thing happen to her in that section. This made me slow down my descents.

Run
Ugh, the run. I had been dreading this and was worried if I would be able to complete. As I came off the bike, I had no energy. My original plan was to run/walk. However, on the first of 3 laps, I found myself walking more than running. Anytime I started to run, I started getting pain in my legs. Rather than risk pulling a muscle and not completing, I decided to power walk as fast as I could. Most of the other participants were running most of the first lap but by the second lap, almost everyone was walking. Those that were running were going slow enough that I could almost keep up with my walk. It was a long miserable walk but it helped that my family had shown up to surprise me. This motivated me to carry on. The finish chute was awesome, especially since I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to finish this event.

After-thoughts
I was sore but not as sore as when I did my first marathon. It's been 4 days and I can mostly walk without pain and the blisters have healed. I am glad I set the goal to finish the full but have no desire to keep going. I look at this as my final challenge in the sport of triathlon. I'm looking forward now to not having to stress about workouts and be able to spend more time with the family.
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [steversk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your finish. I volunteered at the swim start and was at home 8 miles north of Cd'A when the winds kicked up. I remember thinking "oh, those poor folks out on the bike course". I rode the south of town loop training of the half in wind in the low-mid teens and it was no fun then. I can't imagine riding it in sustained 25-30 mph winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your finish...kudos to you for renting a TRI bike that you had never been on before...quite a difference from a a road bike. With the climbing, you may have been better off on your road bike..

Don't be upset if you don't get a lot of replies....there are quite a few people here who only want to see if you are faster/slower than they are in the IM distance.

Who cares....IM to me has always been about personal accomplishment. Don't be so quick to say it was your last....you may realize in a few weeks that if you just changed a few things during your race, you could have finished 30+ minutes faster (whether that be nutrition, actually training with a TRI bike, etc.)

But if not, congrats again.
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Deacon. I'm with you on the personal accomplishment. My goal is always just to push myself and finish. I could care less how I stack against others. I'm more focused on finding my limits and pushing towards hard goals.
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your work volunteering. The volunteers were beyond amazing. It felt like the entire town showed up to cheer everyone on. All of the volunteers were very helpful and happy to be there. I did learn one thing...don't wear a yellow shirt in the morning as part of your morning clothes. I had people asking me all sorts of questions. :)
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deacon Frost wrote:
Congrats on your finish...kudos to you for renting a TRI bike that you had never been on before...quite a difference from a a road bike. With the climbing, you may have been better off on your road bike..

Don't be upset if you don't get a lot of replies....there are quite a few people here who only want to see if you are faster/slower than they are in the IM distance.

Who cares....IM to me has always been about personal accomplishment. Don't be so quick to say it was your last....you may realize in a few weeks that if you just changed a few things during your race, you could have finished 30+ minutes faster (whether that be nutrition, actually training with a TRI bike, etc.)

But if not, congrats again.

Came in here not to see if he was faster than me ;) but to post what I bolded above. Even if you are not the type to be competitive with others, that itch sometimes creeps in there to be competitive with yourself. You never know when you will start to think "maybe it's time to try again"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way to stick it out and finish! I had the same experience; an awesome swim, great first lap and then hit the wind on the second lap that sucked the lifeforce out of the rest of my day. I did the run/walk as well and found heading out for the 2nd run loop was really tough mentally. maybe you will catch another IM bug in the future. the race on Sunday was brutal for everyone

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all congrats on a great accomplishment. Now you can scratch IM from your bucket list which is what most people want to do. Reading thoroughly I just have a few comments of why I think you suffered and some questions actually (in case you want to answer).

1. Following a plan on IM website: I think you should have been a bit more detailed about your plan and look for something more detailed (that's assuming that you used the Ironman 101 training plan on their website which is the only one I can see there, did you use that?).

2. Long run 2 weeks before: That definitely hurt you on the marathon. The last long long run in my limited experience and from reading a lot you should have done was 3 weeks out (I did 14 miles on mine and felt ok on the run, some run walk on the second loop). How hard were your runs and did you train by HR or any other method, or did you just run as far as you planned that day at a race tempo?

3. Bike: Broke one of the cardinal rules in triathlon. Do not try anything new on race day. Kudos for trying that but i'm pretty sure the completely different setup (road vs. tri) hurt you.

4. Run. You did exactly what you needed to do to finish. It's good that you could read the cues and slow down. Congrats on the finish. Isn't it an awesome feeling crossing that finish line?

5. A few last questions, how was your brick work? Did you do any swim runs or bikes, bike run type of workouts? If so how often and at what intensity.? And also, in general, on both the bike and the run training, were you monitoring yourself to train mostly on fat burning zones, rather than medium or high intensity?

On a personal note, I finished my first one this year too (IMLP), Sore for day one and half of day 2. Good day 3. Day 3 I decided I'm going full IM again either next year or the following. But me and my family can definitely relate to how grueling the process is from a training standpoint. Congrats again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job sticking it out. I was hanging out near the aid station on Lakeshore drive watching for a bit. That wind made for a rough ride for everyone. Had the race been 2 days later it would've been 15 degrees cooler with almost no wind. But at least it wasn't the oven that they had in June last year.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give up the long course event and come back to short course racing.

Far to many people think its: Sprint, Olympic, 70.3, 140.6 - done.

Lots of fun to have and goals to reach in short course. Not to mention: swimming, biking and running is healthy and allows you to drink a LOT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I did CdA this year too (my first and last as well). That wind on the second bike lap was brutal. It was as bad as any wind that I trained in. I rode harder and averaged 3mph slower on that stretch the second lap than the first. (And I didn't overbike the first lap either. It was just that windy!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first off. congrats on finishing your first ironman.

buuuuuut..... you are exactly the reason why people think "ironman" distance is hard. you came in under educated, under trained, under prepared, etc.

unless this is your first time on ST, you really have no excuse.

when i did my first ironman i had no experience with the iron distsance, i sought out advice, looked up information, went up and test road/run the course. how i wish i knew about ST!!!

renting a tri bike without ever riding one is dangerous to yourself and everyone around you. i'm surprised not one person you knew mentioned that to you. i'm glad you got through it safely though.

i suggest joining a tri club if you're not part of one. if you are part of one, i suggest you finding another one because someone should have been mentoring you or at least giving you some sort of half decent advice.

lastly, don't be quite so sure you're one and done... ;-) last year i did immd with 15 other first timers, of the 5 that swore they were one and done, 2 have already repeated and the other 3 have plans to repeat lol.

bests,

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your finish!
I also raced my first full IM on Sunday and had a terrible run, I even think I walked with you for awhile on my third lap your second.
The wind on the second bike lap just took too much out of me and most others. I was planning on 5 and half hours but did 6 twenty instead. Getting off the bike was the biggest relief/dread knowing that I had to run next. Without all of the locals of Coeur D'Alene cheering during the run there is no way I could have finished.
I'm excited about PR'ing next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have learned one thing, it is to not swear off racing the week after a race. I always think I am done, but once the soreness wears off, I'll be back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had done one half marathon 6 months prior to the race but other than that had only run 10 miles at my longest

Did you consider doing an Olympic-distance triathlon?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Aug 25, 16 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Or, as in this case......140.6, done. Sad to see our sport reduced to the bucket list.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I see where you got your username. :) It's always fun finding out people are near you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. Dangerously similar to my first IM. Swim went great (swam 6 min faster than expected) ride was hell thanks to the wind, and on the run I got my first and only bout of ITB syndrome so walked the last 30km of the run with a straight leg, after jogging the first 12km.

I too swore I'd never do another one, but after the pain, blisters and toe nails healed, I started training again. The lifestyle, the family that IS ironman, the great people I've met and of course the awesomeness of Slowtwitch got me back into the game fairly quickly. I did tri for 25 year, doing a bunch of IM's, then retired. After 2-1/2 years retired, I've started jogging again (how long can it take to run 5km? just ask me, I know!). I cycle commute most days so my undercarriage has keep the numb spot, and I've even considered walking back into the local pool to see if I can remember how to swim.

I highly suspect that the lure of ironman, or at least halfs, will drag you down into the black whirlpool of carbon purchases that is the world of triathlon. Welcome to the dark side dude. :-)

See you at the start line.........

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steversk - i'll echo B Mcmasters thoughts - stay in the sport, find the fun in your local sprint and olympic races. you've gained a lot of knowledge as to how train, gained a bunch of base that will serve you well going forward, so have some fun with it now!
local races need support and short course is a lot of fun!

congrats, nice work, way to hang in there across a tough day!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Give up the long course event and come back to short course racing.

Lots of fun to have and goals to reach in short course. Not to mention: swimming, biking and running is healthy and allows you to drink a LOT.

This. Unless you are trying to get to Kona I don't get the 140.6 distance after you do it once or twice. I can tell lots of great stories of hamsters still stuck on that wheel.

Love the Olympic stuff with one 70.3 per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steversk wrote:
I was able to complete my first full Ironman this past weekend. I thought I would share my experience for others that may be attempting their first full.

Training
I started out religiously following the training plan on the Ironman website (and even over doing it at times). However, my training really tapered off in the past 2 months leading up to the race. I had done one half marathon 6 months prior to the race but other than that had only run 10 miles at my longest. Going into the race, my calves and knees were sore from a long run 2 weeks before. I ended up using KT tape which seemed to help.

Race
Swim
I felt good on the swim due to completing multiple open water swims prior to race day. The water was perfect temp and super clear. I was able to swim without having to sight by just looking for swimmers underwater. I was able to see swimmers nearby thanks to the clarity. Normally I swim to the far right to avoid battling other swimmers. The first 1/4 of the swim I was on the right all by myself. As I was feeling good, I decided to move inwards for the rest of the swim. I did get kicked a few times but felt pretty good.

Bike
I rented a QR bike for this race. I normally ride a road bike so it was an adjustment to using a tri-specific bike. There were two 65-mile laps. The first lap went well although there were lots of long climbs. The second lap was...hell. One of the worst headwinds I had ever ridden in popped up. So not only were we climbing and climbing, but we were riding at a snail's pace due to the wind. What would have normally taken me 5.5 - 6 hours took me over 7 hours.
On the decent back, I was pushing the pace. I had a speed wobble at one section that scared me to death. I was riding 43 mph at the time when a gust of wind came by and lifted my front tire. Then the handlebar started shaking left and right. I was in the bars but was able to get one hand on the brake to slow down. The next rider I passed had the same thing happen to her in that section. This made me slow down my descents.

Run
Ugh, the run. I had been dreading this and was worried if I would be able to complete. As I came off the bike, I had no energy. My original plan was to run/walk. However, on the first of 3 laps, I found myself walking more than running. Anytime I started to run, I started getting pain in my legs. Rather than risk pulling a muscle and not completing, I decided to power walk as fast as I could. Most of the other participants were running most of the first lap but by the second lap, almost everyone was walking. Those that were running were going slow enough that I could almost keep up with my walk. It was a long miserable walk but it helped that my family had shown up to surprise me. This motivated me to carry on. The finish chute was awesome, especially since I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to finish this event.

After-thoughts
I was sore but not as sore as when I did my first marathon. It's been 4 days and I can mostly walk without pain and the blisters have healed. I am glad I set the goal to finish the full but have no desire to keep going. I look at this as my final challenge in the sport of triathlon. I'm looking forward now to not having to stress about workouts and be able to spend more time with the family.

Congrats on the bucket list checkmark! Next mt everest? See ya
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Congrats on the bucket list checkmark! Next mt everest? See ya

Nah... the queues are too long.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your first Ironman! You were much more prepared than I was when I did my first. Different people have different goals in life, so I can understand if you're sure that you'll never do another again. Nothing wrong with bucket lists either, if it makes you happy.

Having said that, a lot of my friends, after planning never to do an Iron distance or longer race ever again, have returned and done more, harder, and longer events. Kona via legacy, ultra triathlons, PBP, thru-hiking the Appalachian trail, and yes, 7 summit attempts can be done by most people who want to, and have the means to do it. Take some time off and find your passion, whether in triathlon or in another field.

Achieving a landmark in your life is never something to be ashamed of. Good work, and keep living life to the fullest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on finishing your first IM - I was there as well completing my first. I thought it would be my last (at least for a couple of years) however I got bit by the bug again and going after another IM distance this year!
Quote Reply
Re: First (and last) Full Ironman - Couer d'Alene [ashleydz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ashleydz wrote:
Congrats on finishing your first IM - I was there as well completing my first. I thought it would be my last (at least for a couple of years) however I got bit by the bug again and going after another IM distance this year!

Old thread... I was there as well and yes, the wind was miserable. Wind beats me up more than heat or climbing, but the combo of all 3 was tough. Congrats to all for suffering through it. Think of the positive side - you have built in improvement for your next IM assuming it's cooler, less windy and less vert.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply