Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fire Near Tahoe
Quote | Reply
Be prepared for some smoky days this week. Hopefully it clears out before the weekend; I was up in Tahoe the weekend of the Lake Tahoe Tri last summer and that event got cancelled because the air quality was so bad. The fire isn't anywhere near the race area, it's just the smoke blows up in the Truckee Valley and Tahoe Basin when there's a fire to the west. And with the vegetation being so dry this year I doubt they can knock it down very quickly; the only hope is that it comes across an area that's already burned.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh...I was already dreading the rain forecast on sat and sun but thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weren't we discussing the same thing in 2013. At least the water temps should't be a surprise this time.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Weren't we discussing the same thing in 2013. At least the water temps should't be a surprise this time.

The water temp last year was not a surprise to anyone. It was the air temps that surprised us all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, is around where I live. Was watching it from Sizzler last night, amazing. Was super bad at my house this morning such that I had to stay inside.

Process is the smoke comes down the mountains at night and I get nailed. Then during the day the west wind comes up and blows it back up the hill.
Repeat daily until the fire is out.

Last year the fire was like 6 weeks long. This summer had been great until this. We still have a fire burning 5 miles from my house.

Maybe we will get Epic 2 on Sunday. I am ready to race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm coming up to volunteer (bike handler in T2 for the 70.3) so I hope everything is fine on Sunday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
I'm coming up to volunteer (bike handler in T2 for the 70.3) so I hope everything is fine on Sunday!

thanks for being a volunteer. I will (should be???) in the IM, but appreciate all that volunteer.

Fires in late summer in the high Sierra? Surprised? Not me.

Fingers (and toes) crossed for good conditions this weekend.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you get the rain forecast? both google and weather channel tell me sunny.
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [tvmendoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I checked weather.com yesterday, it was showers Sat and showers/thunder storms for Sun night. But I guess it's changed since. Besides the fire/smoke particles, the weather looks great right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
When I checked weather.com yesterday, it was showers Sat and showers/thunder storms for Sun night. But I guess it's changed since. Besides the fire/smoke particles, the weather looks great right now.

The weather forecast is moving all over the place. Looks like chance of some rain the next few days, but then the weekend should be clear. Hopefully this will slow the fire down so we have clear skies.
Going to be another epic race day, bring it on.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you live up there and some of us won't be up there for another couple of days, how's the smoke, air quality?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last couple days in Reno have been clear in the AM, followed by wind-transported smokepocalypse starting about 4pm. I swam outdoors at 6pm last night and it was not enjoyable.

Not sure about Truckee/Tahoe; I think there are a couple members who live there and hopefully they chime in.

With mild weather and light winds, hopefully they'll get a lid on this fire. Barring that, pray for winds without any southerly component on race day :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Yes. Last year the Rim fire was brutal - biggest fire in California history I think. This year seems to be many smaller fires (but still significant). Thoughts and prayers to everyone impacted including the residents of Weed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Be prepared for some smoky days this week. Hopefully it clears out before the weekend; I was up in Tahoe the weekend of the Lake Tahoe Tri last summer and that event got cancelled because the air quality was so bad. The fire isn't anywhere near the race area, it's just the smoke blows up in the Truckee Valley and Tahoe Basin when there's a fire to the west. And with the vegetation being so dry this year I doubt they can knock it down very quickly; the only hope is that it comes across an area that's already burned.http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4108/[/quote[/url]]

Last year I did the Expedition Man 140.6 at Lake Tahoe on the same weekend as the Lake Tahoe Tri. EM went ahead with their race but they made people sign waiver forms. Interestingly enough the part that the smoke affected the most was the swim. I think the particulate matter on the surface of the water and in the air affected me big time. I came out of the swim and spent five minutes sneezing and coughing like my lungs were going to come out of my chest. Luckily things got better once I got going on the bike but I have never experienced a reaction like that.

The real crappy thing is that we missed out on all of the awesome scenery of the area because it was all covered in smoke. Hope the same is not the case for IMLT this year. If it does I officially deem that race cursed.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmm Sizzler!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Truckee and the air quality has been very poor the past few days. Yesterday started out clear then by early/mid afternoon the whole area was in a pretty thick haze. I've even seen a little bit of ash in the air (Donner Lake Area).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
auto208562 wrote:
Since you live up there and some of us won't be up there for another couple of days, how's the smoke, air quality?

It just moves around. Ran in it this morning since it comes down the hill, then the wind comes up and back up the hill.

Looks like they only have 5% containment, so just hope this raining coming in the next few days helps them out.

Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
mmmm Sizzler!!!

My favorite place to eat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just reached out to my Airbnb host in Tahoe City and she said "The smoke is pretty bad from 2:30pm on, but air quality is good in the morning. I have been curious if they will still go ahead with the race..." We wont really know for another few days. I can't imagine this fire being contained anytime soon with how dry it is in CA. Looks like IMLT just put out a msg on FB that they are aware monitoring the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [armanijohnny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
armanijohnny wrote:
I just reached out to my Airbnb host in Tahoe City and she said "The smoke is pretty bad from 2:30pm on, but air quality is good in the morning. I have been curious if they will still go ahead with the race..." We wont really know for another few days. I can't imagine this fire being contained anytime soon with how dry it is in CA. Looks like IMLT just put out a msg on FB that they are aware monitoring the situation.

No way will it be cancelled. Look at what happened last year. On Sat it is raining and snowing on the race course. When we went to bed Sat Night, we had no idea if when we got
up there would be a race. Since the heavy smoke does not come in until later, as you said, they race will go on as scheduled. Just hope folks with Asthma are ready for possible smoke issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The King Fire is the fire producing the smoke in Tahoe.
Last edited by: camtdc: Sep 17, 14 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:

The King Fire is the fire producing the smoke in Tahoe.

The dog bar fire is 5 miles from my house. Had a friends whose Dad lost his house in that fire.

My lake is totally full of thick smoke this morning. Need the afternoon west winds to blow it up the hill.

Here is a great map that shows the smoke. Click on fires.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the smoke stays as bad as it is now through the weekend, I am going to guess that they run the 70.3 and shorten the full to 70.3. Just a guess, but that way they get to put on the race, while minimizing long-term athlete exposure to horrible air conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
If the smoke stays as bad as it is now through the weekend, I am going to guess that they run the 70.3 and shorten the full to 70.3. Just a guess, but that way they get to put on the race, while minimizing long-term athlete exposure to horrible air conditions.

I had thought of that as a possibility.

Quote Reply
Re: Fire Near Tahoe [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:

Are you in Tahoe or in Truckee/Donner Lake? I looked at these webcams earlier and it looks like Donner Lake is far more smokey than Tahoe and the news today shows the smoke plume blowing directly north (of course that can change) thus not making it as bad as it could be. This confirms why the Sugar Bowl webcam looks much worse than the Squaw Web cams. Again, I realize the winds can change. Let's hope for rain.

http://www.tahoetopia.com/webcams
Last edited by: camtdc: Sep 17, 14 12:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next