Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin
Quote | Reply
Turns out that they were taking video the entire duration of the race, including a spot 3.8 miles into the run; racers had to pass it twice. Julie Miller only passed it once.

http://www.nytimes.com/...lete-cut-course.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Turns out that they were taking video the entire duration of the race, including a spot 3.8 miles into the run; racers had to pass it twice. Julie Miller only passed it once.

http://www.nytimes.com/...lete-cut-course.html

I love these video cameras on the race course. Too bad they are needed for cheats

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would have thought FinisherPix might have come forward with this evidence a bit earlier. Will be interesting if Miller now confesses.

And still nothing from the ITU...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much settles that.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, it's another chapter in a sad story. i mean, i don't think there are too many people left who needed more evidence, but there you go.

interesting to me is that FinisherPix presumably (according to the NYT) sat on this information for a very long time. one wonders what the contractual relationships are between athletes, RDs, and FP. can a race director demand that FP hand over their video/photos? can an athlete?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to know what she did for 90+ minutes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
her run form sucks

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they considered these angles but the NYT does leave room for speculation as they don't address these questions.

- Is the video (especially the 10 mins before and after Davis' first pass) continuous?

- Is there a gap in the time stamp at any point?

- Was there a tape or memory card swap out, even if for just a few seconds?

- Was there any downtime or power outage for the camera/storage device?

- Were there any clusters of athletes that went through in which she could have been "hidden"?

Make no mistake. I think she cheated, cut the course, should be banned forever. These are just questions/issues any reasonable defense lawyer would ask/argue to cast doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Exactly

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if there was a Slowtwitch league there would be major injury and death occuring regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [Txseaaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Txseaaggie wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Exactly

As great as all these Julie Miller stories are, the best story would be Julie Miller herself sitting down with this NYT reporter and telling her real story. Why she did what she did, how she did what she did, etc.

Not only would it be fascinating but it would go along way in our community if she ever wants to be a part of it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Txseaaggie wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Exactly

As great as all these Julie Miller stories are, the best story would be Julie Miller herself sitting down with this NYT reporter and telling her real story. Why she did what she did, how she did what she did, etc.

Not only would it be fascinating but it would go along way in our community if she ever wants to be a part of it again.

I'd rather have Lance back.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I'm saying this but... yeah, I'd also rather have Lance back. It's close though.
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [Txseaaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Txseaaggie wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Exactly

She probably did the exact same thing she did when I passed her on the bike on the climb back from Pemberton (like at 150K into the ride for those of you reading who don't know the course). Never saw here on the bike out and back (100-150K range). Literally no one passed me on the bike out and back and on the climb and there were not a ton of riders ahead at the out and back, so for the life of my I am not sure how she got that far ahead on the climb out of Pemberton (yes she "out swam" me, but I would have closed the gap by the top of the Callaghan climb. I remember saying something like, "you are flying, you must be leading your age group". She had the flappy raincoat on and looked completely out of place with the riders of the caliber who were climbing near me coming back from Pemberton. LOL. As I said on another thread, since I was hypothermic and my run was so pathetic, I was keeping tabs of a lot of people passing me. Suzanne blew by me, but I never saw the legendary neon yellow Julie Miller compression socks once on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Would have thought FinisherPix might have come forward with this evidence a bit earlier. Will be interesting if Miller now confesses.

It's probable that FinisherPix never bothered to look at their tape until the NYT article came out. I doubt it's high on their priority list to analyze every video at every race they shoot looking for cheats. The dateline on the original NYT article is 4/8. I'll bet someone in the company said "hey, I'll bet we have video of that" AFTER this story went viral. Then presumably, it would be pretty quick work to review the tape, contact the reporter at NYT, then there would be some lag time to get the addendum story written and published etc. As much as I think it's great that the video evidence is great and is very damning for Miller, it's not really what FinisherPix exists for
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

It's probable that FinisherPix never bothered to look at their tape until the NYT article came out. I doubt it's high on their priority list to analyze every video at every race they shoot looking for cheats. The dateline on the original NYT article is 4/8. I'll bet someone in the company said "hey, I'll bet we have video of that" AFTER this story went viral. Then presumably, it would be pretty quick work to review the tape, contact the reporter at NYT, then there would be some lag time to get the addendum story written and published etc. As much as I think it's great that the video evidence is great and is very damning for Miller, it's not really what FinisherPix exists for

Guess they found their new niche!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:

As much as I think it's great that the video evidence is great and is very damning for Miller, it's not really what FinisherPix exists for

Unfortunately, this whole ordeal has probably changed that. More and more people are now turning to race day photo services to expose cheats. I wonder if FinisherPix will add this "service" to their contracts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I disagree. I think FinisherPix were part of the evidence gathering that lead Ironman and TriBC to DQ her. My speculation.

Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
jsoderman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Guess they found their new niche!!

I would think it would be easy to set up an arrangement between the race organizer and a company such as FinisherPix for the organizer to have access to the video if there is any question on a course cutter. I would imagine that for most races it wouldn't even be necessary, but used on a 'as needed' basis
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Txseaaggie wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Exactly

She probably did the exact same thing she did when I passed her on the bike on the climb back from Pemberton (like at 150K into the ride for those of you reading who don't know the course). Never saw here on the bike out and back (100-150K range). Literally no one passed me on the bike out and back and on the climb and there were not a ton of riders ahead at the out and back, so for the life of my I am not sure how she got that far ahead on the climb out of Pemberton (yes she "out swam" me, but I would have closed the gap by the top of the Callaghan climb. I remember saying something like, "you are flying, you must be leading your age group". She had the flappy raincoat on and looked completely out of place with the riders of the caliber who were climbing near me coming back from Pemberton. LOL. As I said on another thread, since I was hypothermic and my run was so pathetic, I was keeping tabs of a lot of people passing me. Suzanne blew by me, but I never saw the legendary neon yellow Julie Miller compression socks once on the run.

Dev, I think we agree she probably only swam one lap of the swim, and apparently only ran one lap of the run. I think she had all her bike splits when the original results came out though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Went on a date with Kip Litton

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, but surely at some point during this entire saga, someone (WTC? Triathlon Canada?) would have contacted FinisherPix as part of their investigations to see what they had from the race?

I wonder if anyone has asked Lehigh Valley Marathon?!
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Went on a date with Kip Litton

Nice one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't she have passed it four times--twice in each direction? It looks like it's on an out-and-back, and there are two loops.
Quote Reply
Re: FinisherPix puts nail in Julie Miller's coffin [TriNickK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNickK wrote:
jsoderman wrote:

As much as I think it's great that the video evidence is great and is very damning for Miller, it's not really what FinisherPix exists for

Unfortunately, this whole ordeal has probably changed that. More and more people are now turning to race day photo services to expose cheats. I wonder if FinisherPix will add this "service" to their contracts.

Not a bad idea. Would be nice if certain time ranges are searchable on the video feeds online. Maybe pay a small fee and get a chance to search the server.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if it was done by WTC or by FinisherPix but at Texas 70.3 Galveston every turn around had a video camera. They were on tripods to the side in red plastic cases. Looked totally self contained and waterproof. Probably just a go pro with extra batteries.
Quote Reply

Prev Next