Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finding the right front wheel (given I own a Tri Spoke)
Quote | Reply
I got my act together this last year and finally saved and scrounged enough money to put together a bike that is *significantly* faster than my old ride (P2SL with stock bar/components -> New P2 w/TriRig bars). One thing I noticed this year is that with my front end being carbon/much lighter, I feel far more affected by winds.

I've used an old-school DuPont TriSpoke for years, and it has served me well w/o exception, but on multiple occasions this year I've been completely blown around. A new front wheel purchase is right at the top of my purchase list, and I'm wondering what the best option for me might be, given that I own a serviceable TriSpoke. I'm a big dude (6'7", ~205-210lbs), but the TriSpoke just seems unbearable in windy/uncovered races.

Should I get a different deep front that handles better? A mid-range depth option? I was looking at the Flo 60 or 90 as options because of affordability, and could make gameday decision b/w new wheel or TriSpoke, but if there's an expensive swiss army knife of a wheel (ie one "ultimate" solution) that's expensive, I could sell the TriSpoke and be a little spendier. Obviously aero is an absolute priority.
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the right front wheel (given I own a Tri Spoke) [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 is usually a safe choice. The Flo 60 might not be *the* fastest but I certainly wouldn't sweat whatever it gives up to, say, a Firestrike 404.

Considering that you can use your tri spoke for low wind days (low yaw), I'd suggest looking for something for high-wind days so 60 at the deepest IMO and going with something like a 30 might not be the end of the world either.

This reminds me... I wish I could find aero data on the Jet 4+ :/
Quote Reply
Re: Finding the right front wheel (given I own a Tri Spoke) [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Jet 6 and 9 and can't tell a difference between the two on really windy days. Both are fine. I had a trispoke too but it was a mess to handle when winds were in excess of 15mph so I sold it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Flo90/808/Jet9 might feel better

a Flo60/404/Jet6 will definitely feel better.

If you can, try some out first, everyone is different.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply