Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Final training advice before IMMD - sore Hammy
Quote | Reply
About a month ago I developed some IT band pain and then a week or 2 later some hamstring pain real high up where it connects with the glutes.
Been seeing a chiro that does the graston technique etc. IT band was only bothering me on the bike but not the run and feel the hammy more on the bike, not so much running.

IT band has improved a lot but this nagging ache/soreness is still in the hamstring area. Had started to feel better but sore right now.

My chiropractor (he is a multi IM finisher and KQ) says to keep active on it. He has said to still be doing stuff including pickups to keep the legs fresh and active, etc. Blood flow is better for healing.

But with only 3 days left before saturday is it better to just lay off?

I ran 10 miles last saturday and biked 45 sunday with a 3 mile run.
Took off monday. Ran 2.5 last night easy, but fairly sore today. Not talking real bad pain but kind of an ache that is just there.

Do I do an easy spin tonight to keep the legs moving? Then take off tomorrow, then swim practice on Friday and maybe ride some of the run course real easy, and an easy jog?
Quote Reply
Re: Final training advice before IMMD - sore Hammy [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the Hamstring. If you do anything keep it light. Do nothing that increases your pain. Want to stay loose but not create an inflammatory response. Look for triggers in your TFL, glut med and glut minimus as these can mimick IT and hamstring issues. Make sure quads are loose as this can also impact the pelvis and create strain on Hammies.
Have a great race. See you at IMMD
Quote Reply
Re: Final training advice before IMMD - sore Hammy [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kitch. I'll definitely try to stretch a lot the next few days. Afraid of losing fitness, but its only a few days and it is what it is at this point I guess. Ready to just get out there.

See you out there. Good luck and have fun. the temp keeps creeping up on us...
Quote Reply
Re: Final training advice before IMMD - sore Hammy [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't going to lose fitness in the last week. You can, however, do too much and be under-rested and possibly injured.

I think your dr.'s advice about blood flow is good. Is there something else that will help? warm baths? cold/ice baths? light massage?

have a fun race.
run well, run happy
george

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Final training advice before IMMD - sore Hammy [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
You aren't going to lose fitness in the last week. You can, however, do too much and be under-rested and possibly injured.

I think your dr.'s advice about blood flow is good. Is there something else that will help? warm baths? cold/ice baths? light massage?

have a fun race.
run well, run happy
george

x2

Warm baths and a heating pad.
Quote Reply