Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, happy ending!! Nice pictures.

Saturday someone asked him if he missed being out there. He said no pretty quickly.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is just soooo coool! Thanks for updating the final chapter of a great story. When does the book come out!? :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THAT IS BADASS! what did he write on the 404? "never...." can't read the rest

Such an awesome store...Spent the last half hour reading it instead of running. Off to the treadmill now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great ending to a great story! Congrats on your amazing luck! A story for the ages. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a awesome ending to the story! This should be turned into a sticky.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wheel says it all for him: "To Jeff: Never need this ever again"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I made it to stage 2 today... Total deluge on Tunitas Creek. Skipped down to Santa Cruz for the finish. We watched Levi grab gold and went over to the team bus area.

Mission: Julich Signing.

We spotted him at the finish of Stage one, but it was raining too hard to carry the photos or wheel...

Finally found Julich and my brother managed to get a few photos...
"Excuse me, can I borrow a second of your time..."

"well..."

"I have your wheel from last year."

"Oh.... Your that guy!, the red jersey"

Had a nice conversation... Julich appears to be very happy right now to not be in the Peloton with all the rain.

Final tally: One rim with Julich and Riis's signature and two photos of my wheel signed.

Mission Accomplished.

Story Fini.

An awesome story and what a great finish to it w/the circle completed at this year's ToC.

Kudos to you, Bobby, and Zipp. The best story I've read on ST ever (OK, I haven't been on very long - but I believe the bar has been set high). Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by: Dario: Feb 17, 09 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice way to end the story, with a new wheel for you and a couple signatures.
Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome story!! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hank: Great story. Moral of the story. Pay it forward. It was cool how you expected nothing and were happy with what ever it was you recieved. In the end you finished on top with a great story.

I saw a story on-line it was a "rules of the road type thing" guide lines for being a good cyclest. One of the rules was. Always ask stoped riders on the side of the road if they are ok/need anything. The other was if someone is broke down and need's your spare tube you give it to them and NEVER take money for it.

BTW NICE 1080
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Sierra Rd. Holy Sh***t. I think there is a permanent storm cloud following the peloton. It wasn't bad on the climb up, but 10 min before they arrived the heavens and the wind opened up. I have video, but it's all jittery because my arm is shaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So freaking cool!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way cool. Thanks for the update on the story.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hank,

The thing that's been bothering me is wondering how much trouble he had slapping a 9-speed wheel on there? (well, not putting it on, but racing it subsequently). I've done this and a few gears line up and a few don't.

Obviously it got him there OK though.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I failed to ask him pertinent questions in Santa Cruz.... I was a bit of an idiot.

In Reply To:
The thing that's been bothering me is wondering how much trouble he had slapping a 9-speed wheel on there?[/quote]
My guess is that it would work reasonably well for the gears at the edge of the cassette (12, 13, maybe 14) and the derailleur would skip towards the middle. Looking at the following photos, it looks like he is in the 13 or 14. He didn't have any problem catching and pulling with the astana rider. The Astana rider looks like he is slightly higher, 15? Just Guessing.

Quote Reply
Re: Update: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel: 1080 [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When does the book come out!?[/quote] I thought that it has potential for a feature in a cycling website, but they would probably boot me out when they realized I was a triathlete and I would have to get someone else to pen it to add in the drama. My engineering background of reporting just the facts is not the best writing style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story dude, glad it all panned out for you. I cant wait to see a pic of the 404 and signed pic in a frame. Also nice lookin 1080.

FJB: Not to mention the number of people that can't bike or run....
Quote Reply

Prev Next