in 2014

Full Distance Individual 294
Full Distance Teams 156 ( 105 people)
Half Distance Individual 414
Half Distance Teams 56 (55 people)

I will make no comments on what this means but just wanted to see the numbers
Last edited by: northern GP: Aug 24, 14 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [northern GP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big drop in the full distance racers but with so many added in the half I'd dare to guess that they might have increased revenue.

I figure half distance is a good addition as it's less about the brand for that distance. I.E. in my opinion the masses will want to do an ironman branded race as a full distance so that they can say they did an Ironman but for the half maybe it's more about the experience or completing that distance and not as much about being able to say you did an ironman brand 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and I would not be surprised is the full distance disappears in future years and this turns into a solid half event.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [northern GP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No comment on the numbers, but I have some friends down there doing the full, so I have been watching the live feed. It looks like another beautiful summer day in the south Okanagan.

http://www.challenge-penticton.com/live/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see a solid showing in the half IM rounding out the overall participation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
northern GP wrote:
......I would not be surprised is the full distance disappears in future years and this turns into a solid half event.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the numbers are not the typical numbers they got for the full under the WTC I bet they keep the full as the costs of keeping the full if you are running the half is not much more and the extra income of different distances is smart, and the margins on the full is nice because its a much bigger entry fee. Its what HITS and Rev3 do.

Rev3 Cedar Point, the GFT, and Cheasapeakman all had those kinds of numbers for the full and all lasted for a long time.

http://www.johnhirsch.org
http://www.stronglikebulltraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not good numbers. In light for the amount the city is purported to have list on last years race, it may be really bad.

It's a shame really,nuts one if the nicest bike courses around and rather challenging at that.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The city sold the debt to the new RD's. Next year they take over.

Almost 1200 racers, plus loads of other non-racers that came to town.... this race is still popular.

The half course, like all of the other routes around here, is outstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it depends, in overall participation, the numbers are up. Cost have also been reduce greatly as this was a tame down version...a more local flavor race. So in this sence, they might break even or make a small profit. In this sence, it s a huge improvement on last year.

But in term of the iron distance individual race... it s a huge challenge ahead to turn things around and growth back this race. But from what i saw today, things were very smooth, low profile, nothing like a ironman world class race but a solid local event that seems to have run very smoothly.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not race but was in town up until friday afternoon on vacation. I have spent many years going to Penticton (6X IMC and 2X volunteer) and vacation there every year. The vibe was upbeat and low key. Lots of support for the race. I think the numbers will grow in the half and relays (not a fan of) but on a single loop bike and run the full distance will suffer as that would be a lonely race as very spread out.

I am not sure it will ever turn around and return to ironman days but I think some of the people in the town are more than fine with that. As said it is a well run local race. Let's also remember that before Outback events started to go south the Oliver half got a lot of great numbers as did the desert half which were also well run local races.

I will likely race the half next year in Penticton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from the finish line and from what I can tell everyone from half to full ,relay or individual is having a great time. The future looks bright as a new management company takes over ,the key is steady growth and Kevin and Michael are going to listen. This may never get back to WTC numbers but that might be ok does anyone remember running out of water or t- shirts? How about the medals small enough to fit as a key chain or the finisher t- shirts that were all sized in men's sizes. Sometimes a smaller well run event is a better experience.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might dabble in '16. IM Whistler in '13 was nice but with it in July I am not going to IM and skipping my kids events. So hoping its still around for me in '16 or '18. I already have ideas for '17.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
it depends, in overall participation, the numbers are up. Cost have also been reduce greatly as this was a tame down version...a more local flavor race. So in this sence, they might break even or make a small profit. In this sence, it s a huge improvement on last year.

But in term of the iron distance individual race... it s a huge challenge ahead to turn things around and growth back this race. But from what i saw today, things were very smooth, low profile, nothing like a ironman world class race but a solid local event that seems to have run very smoothly.

Great to hear. Would they ever consider running the IM on 2 loops of the new half IM course? Seems like even though the old course was classic, the people in love with the old course are not coming back. Running the IM on the half IM course as they do at the Canadian in Ottawa or Esprit in Montreal might make the full IM seem less lonely? Thought for consideration?
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to suggest not sticking to the classic penticton course is the equivalent of suggesting to play the stanley cup final on grass instead of ice. It s just not a option and not a consideration. The new management really want to bring back the full as the main event.... and changing the classic bike course would be too big of a change... it s perhaps the best course in the world.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It disappoints me to see the demise of the race in terms of numbers. Penticton, quite simply, is one the best ironman distance courses in the world. I can't understand why Challenge don't make it top priority to create a Challenge World Championship, similar to Kona, where age group winners compete aginst each other in an idyllic location. I understand that Kona can never be replicated; of that there is no doubt. But by having a World Championship event over the full distance - especially in its first year - I foresee it would lure some of the best age-groupers out there to look at Challenge races far more seriously, particularly those who have toiled unsuccessfully for years with Kona aspirations. I have heard Macca and Felix from Challenge allude to this, but I don't know if they have acted.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
northern GP wrote:
......I would not be surprised is the full distance disappears in future years and this turns into a solid half event.

x2.

I don't think you need 2500 racers to keep it going. Rev3 does fine with smaller crowds (Cedar Point full is 350ish, plus the half).

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a great time doing special needs bike aid station. Then hit the finish to see some friends finish and enjoy the beer garden. It was a great vibe. Definitely low key but quite social.

Thanks organizing committee, sponsors, athletes, fellow volunteers.

Good night! I'm cooked!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope it stay of course but the half and relays are not good for the full distance event. To many people that would do the full take the easy pass to the half or relay.

If you loss 200 full distance athletes at $600 but gain 400 half at $300 your equal. But you had to manage a long bike course with about 6 aid stations set up for 200 people and alot of road closures plus the extra run portion aid stations.

I had clients do both the half they liked it. the full was by athletes that did whistler last year. They said the course was so bear with spectators and athletes it was depressing.

If you are doing something crazy" ironman distance raing" you need a herd or else you just look crazy.

2 save the full drop the relay and half! Grow your strengths.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a good point.
I was there watching today and having done the race 7 times in Penticton, I felt sad to see such low numbers.
I have done Whistler twice now and I am starting to love that course and venue.
I would love to see a full iron race continue in Penticton, but after seeing the event today I am not sure if it will survive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it today. Great event. Just a beauty of a bike course. Can't think of a single bad thing to say about the course, or the organization.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Doug MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Challenge still organizing it for 2015 or does it go to a different RD?

http://www.johnhirsch.org
http://www.stronglikebulltraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was ever to do a Half distance race again I would head to Penticton and do this race for sure. I could care less if it was branded 70.3 or not. I have done Ironman Canada twice but have volunteered 6 times and the vibe in the city is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [John Hirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a Challenge event. Race moves from non profit "Penticton Race Society" to private enterprise duo of Mike Brown and Kev Cutjar. Mike runs Great White North tri. Kev local coach including Jeff Symonds.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Final Challenge Penticton Numbers 2013 vs 2014 [Yolnguboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yolnguboy wrote:
It disappoints me to see the demise of the race in terms of numbers. Penticton, quite simply, is one the best ironman distance courses in the world. I can't understand why Challenge don't make it top priority to create a Challenge World Championship, similar to Kona, where age group winners compete aginst each other in an idyllic location. I understand that Kona can never be replicated; of that there is no doubt. But by having a World Championship event over the full distance - especially in its first year - I foresee it would lure some of the best age-groupers out there to look at Challenge races far more seriously, particularly those who have toiled unsuccessfully for years with Kona aspirations. I have heard Macca and Felix from Challenge allude to this, but I don't know if they have acted.

Perhaps rather than call it a world championship, Challenge could have a series championship. Roth will always be a crown jewel, but a half and a full series championship would tie the races together and incent people to do multiple races etc. Penticton has some nice dynamics to be a championship as it is late enough in the year to tally up all the other racing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next