Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc
Quote | Reply
Broke left fibula (mid-shaft) yesterday skiing. Snowboarder cut me off, sent me off a steep cat track, left leg buckled and I believe what I suffered is a "boot top fracture". Managed to ski down although I knew it was broken (clicking of the bone was the dead giveaway). Instacare x-ray shows it, non-displaced, looks more like a crack...crappy image though. ER doc stuck me in a splint, advised to go see ortho ASAP and get a boot. ER doc claims this is an "easy one" of the possible lower leg fractures and I should be looking at boot for 4-5 weeks and then return slowly to activity. Okay, I've heard this before...so what's the real recovery time? I care mostly about being able to ride a bike again soon. Running can wait. Any chance I can swim now?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friend just had this one. 4-5 weeks in a boot, then return to training. Annoying ofc but hardly detrimental, even though it is so easy to feel that the season is over already.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This really is a pretty "good" fracture to have. The fibula is mostly a non weightbearing bone and assuming no syndesmotic injury, should heal in about 6 weeks. Definitely should not require surgery if you follow directions ;-)

Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
This really is a pretty "good" fracture to have. The fibula is mostly a non weightbearing bone and assuming no syndesmotic injury, should heal in about 6 weeks. Definitely should not require surgery if you follow directions ;-)

Bingo, ask the PT about when you can swim (probably before the boot comes off, though they may advise to pull only and not push off the wall) and bike (probably not until the boot is off unless you're only doing really low intensity stuff). Thankfully a non-weight bearing bone so your recovery will be mostly focused on gaining the muscular endurance back and not rehabbing the bone itself. Just do what the docs and physical therapists tell you to do and TAKE IT EASY. The easiest and surest way to double your recovery time is to try and over train instead of healing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:

My experience was 7 years ago with a clean "ski boot break" in XC skate skis, so around 1.5 inches above the ankle. I was able to start riding super easy on my doc's recommendations 1 week later (like probably spinning at 40 RPM at 80watts in fat running shoes...which dramatically brought down all the swelling in a span of 2-3 spins), but after 3 weeks was riding probably at IM pace in normal bike shoes. I was able to get to walking partially weight bearing at 3.5 weeks and was actually jogging really slowly at 5 weeks. 13 weeks after the fracture I ran within 1 min of my half marathon PB. I started swimming around the 4 week point but before that I started walking partially weight bearing in the pool shallow end which I recall being quite helpful. I was in one of those "air casts".

Also my achilles and all the soft tissue around the ankle was black and blue and I think all of that is what took the longest to heal, and any time something is niggling in that ankle it is all the soft stuff that is problematic. I probably could have taken more time to get back into the normal swing of things, but hindsight is 20/20
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 7, 16 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your injury, bummer. It is good that the fracture is non-displaced, so that you should not need any surgical intervention. Along with rest and limiting weight-bearing activities, there are some nutritional interventions to help with bone healing. Calcium and Vitamin D are important, aim for 1200mg-1500mg of Calcium (calcium citrate) a day, and 5000-10k IU of Vitamin D. You also need Magnesium and Phosphorous for calcium absorption and laying down of the mineralized bone. Bone is also largely collagen so you want to get Vitamin C and Zinc for good collagen formation. You can get all these nutrients through a combination of food and supplements. Calcium is not only in dairy, but also in broccoli and leafy greens. Be weary of cutting back on calories because your body needs energy to heal, especially early on. I added green superfood smoothies to my diet as well when healing from a fracture.

I will echo what others have said about healing, definitely take some time to rest. I would say you could probably get back in the pool, pulling only and no pushing off in the next 2-3 weeks, with the blessing of the ortho.

Speedy recovery!

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1
Powered by
Accelerate3 Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So! Next question(s).
Do you take Vitamin D? If not, you probably should.
There is some evidence that those who eat more fruits and veg and less starch have denser bones and those that eat more starch have weaker ones. So, if you haven't already, ramp up the fruits and veggies and get rid of the starch.
In a study of gymnasts, some years ago, those who ate less fat had more injuries. Does this mean we should be eating more, or at least enough, fat?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
So! Next question(s).
Do you take Vitamin D? If not, you probably should.
There is some evidence that those who eat more fruits and veg and less starch have denser bones and those that eat more starch have weaker ones. So, if you haven't already, ramp up the fruits and veggies and get rid of the starch.
In a study of gymnasts, some years ago, those who ate less fat had more injuries. Does this mean we should be eating more, or at least enough, fat?

so, yeh, take all that stuff and it"ll be technically healed in 6 weeks but still hurt like a motherfu---- when you contract the muscles around the "healing" bone. My wife can still definitely locate the fx location after a year.

Or you can just be a good boy, don't get all type A about it, and will be in about the same place in 42 days.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a compound fracture of the fibula and fibula years ago.
They said the fibula is a non load bearing bone, so they didn't reset it.
It make a weird noise now, but that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a fibula stress fracture. 6 weeks to heal. I swam a LOT while it was healing. If kicking hurts at first, you can always pull with a buoy or a band. As someone else said, you might do one foot pushoffs from the wall.

get 3 x 500 mg calcium a day!

best of luck with healing, and sorry to hear it happened.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rroof wrote:

My experience was 7 years ago with a clean "ski boot break" in XC skate skis, so around 1.5 inches above the ankle. I was able to start riding super easy on my doc's recommendations 1 week later (like probably spinning at 40 RPM at 80watts in fat running shoes...which dramatically brought down all the swelling in a span of 2-3 spins), but after 3 weeks was riding probably at IM pace in normal bike shoes. I was able to get to walking partially weight bearing at 3.5 weeks and was actually jogging really slowly at 5 weeks. 13 weeks after the fracture I ran within 1 min of my half marathon PB. I started swimming around the 4 week point but before that I started walking partially weight bearing in the pool shallow end which I recall being quite helpful. I was in one of those "air casts".

Also my achilles and all the soft tissue around the ankle was black and blue and I think all of that is what took the longest to heal, and any time something is niggling in that ankle it is all the soft stuff that is problematic. I probably could have taken more time to get back into the normal swing of things, but hindsight is 20/20

I'd take this recovery and run with it...this would be ideal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
rroof wrote:

I'd take this recovery and run with it...this would be ideal!

I THINK mine was a more complicated one than yours because of the proximity to the ankle and the achilles areas. In any case, take your time. A break from running is not the end of the world. You can stay plenty fit with swim and bike and not endanger long term function. I am certain that I raced that entire summer compensating and it was only when I got on skis the following winter when I realized there was something messed up in my tarsel tunnel controlling my big toe/medial arch that I could get away with in running, but not on skis and I don't think I ever got back to the point of riding a flat stable ski with that leg. Running it really did not seem to affect things as much.
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. I'm only doing Road and Cross racing these days. I run here and there for fitness. So I won't miss the running part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
assuming no syndesmotic injury

Dr. Roof - hard for me to tell on self-test...doing the squeeze test with both hands up/down the Tib/Fib elicits pain but the Fib is broken as seen on the film. I'd expect pain with the fx. So how is syndesmotic injury ruled out?

BTW - You're the man! Can't believe I'm back again with yet another broken bone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was thinking the same!

A syndesmotic injury is often missed since a stress (twisting the ankle) x-ray is often needed, or it is noted during surgery or with arthroscopy (neither of which you need of course). Some sport med surgeons getting a bit more aggressive in diagnosing these. The old "squeeze" test isn't very reliable ;-)

Quote | Reply
I had a compound fracture fib and tib on October 10. I was swimming about Nov 15th and riding before thanksgiving.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Fibula Fracture - Need some advice, experiences, etc [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I had a compound fracture fib and tib on October 10. I was swimming about Nov 15th and riding before thanksgiving.

Surgery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So just got back from the doc. He was almost "do whatever" about the whole thing. Not a serious place to have a break. Further imaging analysis shows Tib/Fib in correct and normal alignment at the ankle and no sign of other ankle deformaties. You're lucky, etc he said. I asked for a boot...he said I can try it but the cuff will hit me right where the break is which means it really won't help and might make it more painful. I took a boot just in case. Asked about riding a bike...sure, whenever you're ready. Just don't go outside for a while in case you have to put a foot down quick or heaven forbid have another accident. Swim? Yes, but maybe don't push off the wall. BTW - you could probably ski in 6 weeks if you want. Just let pain be the guide. You'll probably be walking on it without anything in a week or so. Tib/Fib break totally different story...you lucked out and just broke the Fib which doesn't really do anything. Come back in 5 weeks and we will verify that it is stable and healing. Boot is a love/hate...the stability is good and I feel more confident in walking but the cuff in fact does hit about where the break is.

That's the update. I guess I am the luckiest unlucky guy???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had stress fractures in mine. For me it was six weeks without running in each case. I could bike,swim and walk no issues but trying to run was instant agony.
I could push off of the wall in the pool with no pain but you should be really careful until you know.

Since it is winter, I would wait until I was out of the boot to start cycling. I would have a harder time giving up outside cycling in the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it's been 7 days since breaking my fibula. Been hobbling around no crutches for past two days. Very, very sore at night while sleeping...almost keeping me awake. I swam (mostly pull buoy but some kick) yesterday and it was pretty good. Ventured downstairs to the trainer this morning. Managed to get regular bike shoes on and clipped in. Spun between 40-100 watts at about 75 RPM for 40 mins. It was sore...the whole time...really sore. Was not the type of "oh crap, I better stop" sore or pain. I could have probably gone a full hour or more but I cut it off. If my memory is correct from prior broken bones, sore is normal and good as some stress keeps the healing process engaged and productive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are on a good track. Good luck with the recovery. I too had a fib break and while actively recovering placing gradual and incremental stress increases to the leg I supplemented this with an aggressive site related soft tissue self -massage (hot tub water jets). Unbeknownst to me at the time but felt less than 4 hours later was that I had managed to break loose the trauma related blood clot up into my lungs. Bam! a simple break turns into a pulmonary embolism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
So it's been 7 days since breaking my fibula. Been hobbling around no crutches for past two days. Very, very sore at night while sleeping...almost keeping me awake. I swam (mostly pull buoy but some kick) yesterday and it was pretty good. Ventured downstairs to the trainer this morning. Managed to get regular bike shoes on and clipped in. Spun between 40-100 watts at about 75 RPM for 40 mins. It was sore...the whole time...really sore. Was not the type of "oh crap, I better stop" sore or pain. I could have probably gone a full hour or more but I cut it off. If my memory is correct from prior broken bones, sore is normal and good as some stress keeps the healing process engaged and productive.

This was exactly my experience on the first few rides....but as I mentioned the "black and blue" body parts dramatically transformed from those rides closer to a normal leg/foot size and color.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All right...so, I've done several trainer rides of 40-50 mins and IF right around 40-50% of FTP (~150 watts avg). I could go longer and possibly even harder but I'm trying to keep it reeled in. I find that lower cadence (80s) is more comfortable. The fx site and surrounding tissue is "uncomfortable" for the entire time. Same thing with swimming...have been gradually losing the pull bouy and kicking a little more - albeit very, very easy. Worst pain is in the morning straight out of bed...it feels sharp and pronounced and it makes me second guess whether this thing is healing. The ortho was real relaxed about the whole thing basically saying "yeah, the fib doesn't bear weight so do what you want or can". About the only restriction he put on me was don't run or ski for 6 weeks.

Does your experience sound similar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
All right...so, I've done several trainer rides of 40-50 mins and IF right around 40-50% of FTP (~150 watts avg). I could go longer and possibly even harder but I'm trying to keep it reeled in. I find that lower cadence (80s) is more comfortable. The fx site and surrounding tissue is "uncomfortable" for the entire time. Same thing with swimming...have been gradually losing the pull bouy and kicking a little more - albeit very, very easy. Worst pain is in the morning straight out of bed...it feels sharp and pronounced and it makes me second guess whether this thing is healing. The ortho was real relaxed about the whole thing basically saying "yeah, the fib doesn't bear weight so do what you want or can". About the only restriction he put on me was don't run or ski for 6 weeks.

Does your experience sound similar?

Looking back that sounds about right and what my doc was saying too. Yours also looks less "complicated" given that it is not close to the ankle/achilles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke mine mid shaft a few years ago. The break healed quickly. I took the boot off after 3 weeks and work a heavy supportive elastic brace due to impatience. i started riding then. As someone else already stated, it was the soft tissue damage that took longer to resolve. My lower calf felt weak and jiggled like a bowl of jello when I started running again. I developed peroneal tendinitis as well. It all resolved, but I was surprised at how long it took to rebuild the strength. PT might have helped with that and helped me to avoid the tendinitis issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next