Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt vs cervelo
Quote | Reply
Good afternoon guys. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so don't crucify me.

I'm trying to decide between a :
2017 felt ai10 OR
a 2017 cervelo p3.
Both are great bikes and I've been trying to look online for things to help make this decision easier but I haven't found anything solid. I'm looking for unbiased opinions and maybe pros and cons on either bike. I'm trying to buy it by the end of next week. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by: mr_sure: Jun 1, 17 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [mr_sure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one do you like the most based off looks?

The IA Calpac sucks from what most people on here say. I was not impressed by it when I looked at it at my local shop. That's the only flaw of the IA. The P3 is a great bike too.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 24, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be tough to get a completely unbiased opinion. I have a 2016 P3. I preferred the black and white vs the teal highlights. It is a solid and very stiff bike. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. Choose the one that makes you want to ride the most, that will be the bike for you.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2017 P3 is so. ugly. Definitely get the Felt. I'd be embarrassed to have to walk by the black/white/teal monstrosity in my garage.

One exception... and that is if teal is one of your favorite colors. Then maybe consider the P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slam Dunk: Felt IA10.

Unless you find a deal, the Cervelo P3 is a lot more expensive (with Di2) than the IA10. And, the P3 is probably slower than the Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt IA drag chart

There is no known drag data on the IA 10,14, and 16.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
There is no known drag data on the IA 10,14, and 16.
I agree. However, in the abesnece of perfect data, I would bet on the IAxx ahead of the P2/P3. Especially given the similarities between the IAx and IAxx frames and the shorter head tube of the IAxx. And, in other disparate charts like this, the P3 seems to resemble the Shiv, and the Shiv is not a strong competitor to the P5 in other charts like the one above.

But to me, with the imperfect data, the P3's price premium is its deal killer more than any other attribute. Even if the two were the same price, I would still have to lean toward the IA10 as the bike probably faster than a P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did this chart come from? The one I posted is from Felt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Where did this chart come from?
It is Cannondale's. It is no longer on their site, but Aerogeeks preserved it forever...
http://aerogeeks.com/...-uitegra-di2-review/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the old P3 or the new P3?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article is not clear. However, they did the study in 2014 or 2015, so presumably it is the current P3 which was introduced in 2013.

Edit: Within the article where it references the other bikes in the comparison, the hotlinks are to the current gen P3.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 24, 17 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about the P2? Aerodynamically it's the same as the P3, and you can get Ultegra Di2 for the price of mechanical.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my IA10 a couple of weeks ago so yes I'm a bit biased. But on the other hand I did research this for a long time while I couldn't motivate the purchase.

As someone wrote before the IA10 is cheaper than P3 with di2.
P3 comes with carbon base bar while IS10 is aluminium.
IA10 looks like a super bike. Pretty much all cables are hidden. Except the obvious front brake.
P3 is probably an equally fast bike but it doesn't look as fast.

Just compare the IA FRD with the IA10 then compare P5 or P5x with the P4 and you have a lot more simplifications on the Cervelo

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man if that was the case I like the way the felt looks better. I'd have to look into that felt calpac. Thanks for the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced a 70.3 this weekend. My bike ejected all of my liquid calories on the rough roads. I had backup calories in my Felt IA16's calpac that I happened to stuff there the morning of. I ate those backup calories. The calpac performed with excellence. I PRd in the race, despite being down hundreds of calories and a total flameout late in the run. Thank you calpac, for your glorious and exemplary service.

I honestly do not get the calpac vitriol. It is a mediocre design. But, it really does not matter in the grand universe of things that could have been designed in this world. And it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Have you thought about the P2? Aerodynamically it's the same as the P3, and you can get Ultegra Di2 for the price of mechanical.

No im getting a good deal on both it's just deciding the p3 is still more but for a big purchase like this I'd rather take the hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very little in difference between the two in performance. I've had two P2s, loved them, very quick bikes, was thinking of getting a P3 or P5, but the P series are all starting to look a bit dated now. the design has barely changed in 7, 8 years. Aesthetically I prefer the Felt or a BMC TM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in love with the IA. However I went with Cervelo. Have owned a 2007 P3, 2013 P3, 2014 P3 and now a 2014 P5. I will never look elsewhere. Cervelo is the way to go for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
print out pictures of the bikes and take a good look each each separately asking yourself "Does this bike make me want to ride it?"
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
print out pictures of the bikes and take a good look each each separately asking yourself "Does this bike make me want to ride it?"

I got to try out the felt but in a size smaller because that's what the shop had set up. It was awesome.
I'm going to try out the cervelo this week and try to make a decision. Thanks for all the help guys . I'll see if I can post some pics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The calpac can open up unintentionally sometimes and be a bit annoying, but it's not a huge deal. I keep my flat kit in there so I just wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and I never have to think about it unless I get a flat.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look at the 2017 P2? Frame is essentially the same as the P3 and you can customize it from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the main pros and cons as I see them:

• IA10 is typically cheaper
  • I think the Cervelo is a bit lighter?
  • The IA10's Bayonet 3 cockpit has excellent adjustability
  • The P3 takes a standard stem, the IA doesn't if the steerer is cut (it used to come pre-cut but I heard recently that this is changing?) - pros and cons to both
  • The Calpac on the IA10 is not a good design. It works, but not as well as it should (aftermarket improved version has been rumoured for a while - it may or may not materialise). It would be relatively simple to replace the Calpac with a flat plate and fit a standard bento if you wanted.

I bought an IA14 which is pretty much identical to the IA10 but with a mechanical groupset. I considered a Cervelo P2 or P3 but the Felt was much better value IMO. I find the Calpac annoying but I'm easily annoyed by poor design. It's as much the principle as the practicality that bothers me, and it's not enough to make me regret the purchase. It might be a non-issue for you, I'm picky. All in all I've been happy with the Felt. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the Cervelo too but I prefer the appearance of the Felt and cost was the decider.

If I could get a good deal on a P2 I'd probably go for that over a P3. The P2 is a nice bike and I'm not sure the P3 is worth the additional money.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 1, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Felt vs cervelo [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
The calpac can open up unintentionally sometimes and be a bit annoying, but it's not a huge deal. I keep my flat kit in there so I just wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and I never have to think about it unless I get a flat.

x2. 100%. I don't carry nutrition in there, only the flat kit. I taped it, haven't thought about it since.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next