Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2
Quote | Reply
Good morning,

I have been road biking for the last few years with few centuries and I am thinking to do the Triathlon.
I am riding (XS) 48cm bike and weight 146lbs. My road bike speed is about 14-16mph.

So I am out to shop for bike. In the range of 2500, I am considering:
2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Felt 16
Used 2015 Felt ia 4.

I tried ia16 and feel that it is quite heavier than P2.

The guys in bike shop told me that with my weight, the additional 1-2 pounds of the bike itself has significant impact on speed.

So my questions are, assuming both fit me well,:
- Is Felt ia4 with better components much heavier than P2 (how much heavier if you know)?
- On flat road, is the "Aero" magic of felt outweigh the extra pounds on the frame (if any)?

Thank you,

Harry
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [Harry2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys in the shop told you wrong. 2 pounds doesn’t matter in triathlon.

Felt gives you better storage options with the new Draft Boxes but the P2 can carry everything you need. Which bike do you like more? Which one fits you better?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jan 7, 18 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I clearly like the iA4. I haven't done the fitting on iA4 yet but I did on iA16. Both are good for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Felt IA16 is faster than a P2. A Felt IA4 is (probably) faster than an IA16 due to the better cockpit and integrated fron brakes. The P2 has a horrible cockpit with crappy cable routing, which is one of the factors that makes it slower, aside from being more of a legacy design approach. Weight is a non-factor, and your shop really did tell you totally wrong on that.

Between those three, strike the P2 off the list, unless you really just love it.

The IA16 can be setup with a lower front end, which could make it a better bike for you than the IA4, so consider that.

Felt recalled the early IA4 rear brake, so make sure you get the updated brake.

Some of the IA16 components are very heavy, which make the bike as a whole heavy (wheels and crankset). You can upgrade those, or just avoid the weight with the IA4.

Given those two at equal prices, I would probably lean toward the IA4, but I would miss the rear cage mounts for the new draft box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBS in my area are lost with regards to Tri. Sounds like it's a problem other places as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is why a local competent fitter / aerodynamicist is so important. Help not only sort the bike but everything that goes with it...

Postion
Clothing
Tires and Tubes
Drivetrain Friction
Storage and Hydration
Wheels and/or Helmet
Helmet and/or Wheels
Aerobars
Frame

Fishbum wrote:
LBS in my area are lost with regards to Tri. Sounds like it's a problem other places as well.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Exxxviii for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The IA16 can be setup with a lower front end...

this is not true

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

this is not true
I thought that the IAxx frames had a lower head tube height than the IAx frames. Is that not the case? If it is the case, then wouldn't you be able to setup an IAxx frame lower in front than an IAx frame? The OP states that they ride an XS frame. Felt lists the Size 48 IAxx head tube length at 63mm and the IAxx head tube length at 67.5mm. The differences vary by frame size, but the IAxx is always shorter than the IAx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So i love my p2. It got me through IM lanza in style and having murdered some superbikes on the way its certainly not slow.

My advice though is buy what you like at and makes you want to ride. Miles mean smiles.....
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really a matter of which bike fits you better. One of these bikes is not "better" than the other. The Felt has a more modern frame design and maybe is a bit more aero, but the P2 is probably the best selling tri bike frame in the world, and there's good reason for that. Go with the bike that fits you best, that you feel the most comfortable on. It's all about the frame and how it fits you and your riding style. Components can always be upgraded as you put the miles on. I'm sure the base components on both of the bikes is high quality to begin with.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jan 8, 18 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

this is not true

I thought that the IAxx frames had a lower head tube height than the IAx frames. Is that not the case? If it is the case, then wouldn't you be able to setup an IAxx frame lower in front than an IAx frame? The OP states that they ride an XS frame. Felt lists the Size 48 IAxx head tube length at 63mm and the IAxx head tube length at 67.5mm. The differences vary by frame size, but the IAxx is always shorter than the IAx.
These are from our own measurements for the IA and IAxx in a 48:
  • IAxx Pad Stack Minimum: 575 mm
  • IA Pad Stack Minimum: 560 mm

It should be noted that you can also mount the armpad directly on the base bar and mount the extensions underneath, so it's *possible* to get lower than the numbers I provided.

And for armpad reach (back edge of the pad), we use our min as mounting the armpad clamp flush with and behind the base bar clamp and moving the armpad to the most aftward position.
  • IAxx Pad Reach Minimum: 389 mm
  • IA Pad Reach Minimum: 365 mm

The integrated stem and base bar make all the difference in the world, which is why looking at frame measurements just isn't good enough anymore for tri bikes.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry2018 wrote:
The guys in bike shop told me that with my weight, the additional 1-2 pounds of the bike itself has significant impact on speed.

So my questions are, assuming both fit me well,:
- Is Felt ia4 with better components much heavier than P2 (how much heavier if you know)?
- On flat road, is the "Aero" magic of felt outweigh the extra pounds on the frame (if any)?
As pointed out by others, the guys in your bike shop told you something that is nonsense. Weight has a miniscule impact on speed.

One of our competitors trashes the IA (we carry Felt, they don't) daily to any customer that will listen talking about weight. He's wrong when he says it, and your shop is wrong in saying it as well.

As has been pointed out - you are comparing two awesome options. Assuming they fit well, you can't go wrong.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jan 7, 18 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Felt iA 4 or Cervelo P2 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

this is not true

These are from our own measurements for the IA and IAxx in a 48:
  • IAxx Pad Stack Minimum: 575 mm
  • IA Pad Stack Minimum: 560 mm

It should be noted that you can also mount the armpad directly on the base bar and mount the extensions underneath, so it's *possible* to get lower than the numbers I provided.

And for armpad reach (back edge of the pad), we use our min as mounting the armpad clamp flush with and behind the base bar clamp and moving the armpad to the most aftward position.
  • IAxx Pad Reach Minimum: 389 mm
  • IA Pad Reach Minimum: 365 mm

The integrated stem and base bar make all the difference in the world, which is why looking at frame measurements just isn't good enough anymore for tri bikes.

it should be noted that with a Dagger stem and the undermount hack some of the stack sins can be mitigated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
These are from our own measurements for the IA and IAxx in a 48...
I have not measured them first-hand, but was relaying comments I have seen from jim@ero and desert dude about the two lines. In one post, Jim commented that the IA10 has a longer and lower geometry and an aero bar that is far more adjustable. Are you saying the opposit here? (If you measured it, I trust you. But I just want to clear-up my understanding that the single-digit frames—IA1, IA2, IA4—have a lower minimum Pad Y than the double digit frames—IA10, IA14, IA16.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longer, yes. Lower, no.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, waddiaknow. There are a lot of bad data and advice embedded throughout that main IA10, IA14, IA16 thread.
Quote Reply