Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt IA legal at Worlds?
Quote | Reply
About to purchase a Felt IA frame, but want to know if it will be legal at this year's ITU Sprint World Champs in Chicago. I assume it won't be for 2016 as they will be going to draft legal. Any insight is much appreciated :)

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the bike UCI legal?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jellyfish1 wrote:
I don't believe so.

I saw them at Edmonton not allow folks to race on bikes that were not UCI legal.

I had a friend who could not race his beam bike.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Is the bike UCI legal?

no

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 23, 15 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Felt IA should be fine. Might want to read Section 5.2.b.ii: http://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/itusport_competition-rules_december20141.pdf

Beam-bikes are definitely out.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If in doubt and you're shopping in this price range, consider the UCI legal Speed Concept (just spec the UCI package). Even without the ultra-deep basebar and fork it's still one of the fastest bikes made.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt's rep SuperDave has mentioned many times that the IA is not UCI legal.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
I think the Felt IA should be fine. Might want to read Section 5.2.b.ii: http://www.triathlon.org/...es_december20141.pdf

Beam-bikes are definitely out.

Good link, but this wording is crazy vague:

"The frame of the bike shall be of a traditional pattern, i.e., built around a closed frame of straight or tapered tubular elements..."

If I was a beam bike manufacturer, I would argue that a beam bike is a closed frame. I mean, what in the heck is an open frame? And "traditional"?! If you look at the birth of the safety bicycle in the 1890s, it would be really really hard to define any frame design as traditional.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Felt's rep SuperDave has mentioned many times that the IA is not UCI legal.

I'm aware of that, but don't see that as being a requirement for UCI-draft illegal.

Maybe I'm wrong and got away with riding my non-UCI Speed Concept in Edmonton?

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just emailed the age group teams email for Canada asking if it would be allowed. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

From the way it reads the bike should be allowed. If not would that mean SC, P5, IA, shiv, etc won't be allowed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were used at worlds last year.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [smoore89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoore89 wrote:
I just emailed the age group teams email for Canada asking if it would be allowed. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

From the way it reads the bike should be allowed. If not would that mean SC, P5, IA, shiv, etc won't be allowed?

Like anything, some probably got their bikes in when they may not have been legal. The beams were easy to no allow.
Is it worth the risk?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a word, yes...and so did I (2014 du worlds, Ottawa), inasmuch as my bike was equipped with the non-UCI versions of the 2014 SC handlebar and fork...and so did the drivers of all the Shivs, P5-6s, and other non-UCI bikes/equipment I saw there. Here's why (from earlier in the same 2014 rulebook you quoted from):

5.2. Equipment:
a.) In general, UCI rules, as of January 1st of the current year, will apply during competition and also during familiarization sessions and official training:
(i) UCI road race rules for draft-legal triathlon and duathlon races;
(ii) UCI time trial rules for draft-illegal triathlon and duathlon races;
(iii) UCI MTB rules for winter triathlon, cross triathlon and cross duathlon races.

It can be argued that "in general" leaves some wiggle room, but that wiggle room just adds to the uncertainty. I don't know that they've ever enforced all the fun stuff that comes with 5.2.a.ii like 3:1 aspect ratios and 80mm frame tube depth and the rest, but past performance is no guarantee of future (in)action. Case in point: look at how officials treated beam bikes @Edmonton AG tri worlds vs the same bikes under pros @Challenge Dubai. Chalk it up to the AGers not having produced their bikes to the officials ahead of time if you want (how far ahead? at every ITU-officiated race they ever do or do they get a hall pass after the first approval?), but it still looks like different treatment for the same issue at different races. Make you feel better about 5.2.a.ii and the future?

Carl Matson

ETA: fixed my race location
Last edited by: Carl: Apr 4, 15 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
In a word, yes...and so did I (2014 du worlds, also Edmonton), inasmuch as my bike was equipped with the non-UCI versions of the 2014 SC handlebar and fork...and so did the drivers of all the Shivs, P5-6s, and other non-UCI bikes/equipment I saw there. Here's why (from earlier in the same 2014 rulebook you quoted from):

5.2. Equipment:
a.) In general, UCI rules, as of January 1st of the current year, will apply during competition and also during familiarization sessions and official training:
(i) UCI road race rules for draft-legal triathlon and duathlon races;
(ii) UCI time trial rules for draft-illegal triathlon and duathlon races;
(iii) UCI MTB rules for winter triathlon, cross triathlon and cross duathlon races.

It can be argued that "in general" leaves some wiggle room, but that wiggle room just adds to the uncertainty. I don't know that they've ever enforced all the fun stuff that comes with 5.2.a.ii like 3:1 aspect ratios and 80mm frame tube depth and the rest, but past performance is no guarantee of future (in)action. Case in point: look at how officials treated beam bikes @Edmonton AG tri worlds vs the same bikes under pros @Challenge Dubai. Chalk it up to the AGers not having produced their bikes to the officials ahead of time if you want (how far ahead? at every ITU-officiated race they ever do or do they get a hall pass after the first approval?), but it still looks like different treatment for the same issue at different races. Make you feel better about 5.2.a.ii and the future?

I thought I had heard some of those super bikes were not allowed to race in Edmonton, but did not see first hand. I did see first hand the beam bikes not allowed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an email back from the Age Group team email (for Canada) and they said that TT style bikes will be allowed. I emailed back confirming that this is still ok for the non UCI bikes (IA, P5, etc.)...This was the follow up to the email. Looks like the IA will be a non issue.

Hi Steve,

As mentioned, because you are racing in a draft ILLEGAL race, your TT bike
does not have to be UCI legal.

The only illegal bikes for any category is the Diamon & Falco.

Last edited by: smoore89: Mar 23, 15 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked a couple of months ago. The answer is YES. I asked Lauren Rios of team USA and she asked their ITU official.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Hi Mark,

Please see below for information from our ITU official. Sounds like your bike is fine to use.

Regarding bikes NOT allowed at 2015 Chicago:

BEAM BIKES...Diamond bikes now, are NOT allowed

Have never heard anything negative about the Shiv or Cervelo P6

But only the BEAM bike is out

Thank you!

Lauren Rios
Team USA and Research Coordinator
p. 719.884.5617 | f. 719.597.2121
5825 Delmonico Drive, Suite 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
usatriathlon.org
SHARING THE WIN
__________________________________________________________________________________

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see the rules with as much uncertainty as others. The ITU specifically refers to a more extensive set of bike and frame rules for drafting. They only mention a frame of traditional design for the non-draft events. In my mind, they are outlining the rules they will enforce from the list of UCI rules. Otherwise, they wouldn't say 'in general' in the preamble to that section. They would simply say, we follow UCI rules for either road race or TT and your bike must meet all specifications.

Waterboi is unfortunately spreading misinformation about things he might have heard from some guy. Beam bikes have no bearing on a bike like an IA or Shiv. Traditional frame is double diamond, clearly those designs fit that and a beam does not.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They mention a lot more than that re: non-draft bikes, but I see where you're going. Here's one place it leads:

Fairings are OK for non-draft ITU races...outright fairings...no need to have a non-aero function associated with them...because they have specific language regarding fairings in the draft-legal section of the bike rules but don't mention fairings at all in the non-draft section.

I'm cool with that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends on if someone protests. I'll be they won't enforce the 3:1 ratio rule or even know of its existence. However if someone protests then they are obligated to enforce it. You should know that ITU added a section to the draft legal rules this year that says the 3:1 ratio rule is in effect. Given this and ITU 5.2.a.ii I wouldn't take a chance.

For what its worth UCI rules also say that you can't have an integrated water bottle (shiv tri) and aero water bottles and that all water bottles have to be inside the main triangle. That means nothing behind the seat or between the aero bars.

There are cases where the ITU rules specifically change the UCI rules, disk covers and rider position for example. Since they don't for the 3:1 rule and I think someone could pretty easily win a protest against you. I woudn't risk it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Rosinbum
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
twitter
instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [leftarmbandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leftarmbandit wrote:
It all depends on if someone protests. I'll be they won't enforce the 3:1 ratio rule or even know of its existence. However if someone protests then they are obligated to enforce it. You should know that ITU added a section to the draft legal rules this year that says the 3:1 ratio rule is in effect. Given this and ITU 5.2.a.ii I wouldn't take a chance.

For what its worth UCI rules also say that you can't have an integrated water bottle (shiv tri) and aero water bottles and that all water bottles have to be inside the main triangle. That means nothing behind the seat or between the aero bars.

There are cases where the ITU rules specifically change the UCI rules, disk covers and rider position for example. Since they don't for the 3:1 rule and I think someone could pretty easily win a protest against you. I woudn't risk it.

Yep, just because the rules in some races have been missed or ignored does not mean they will not be enforced at a race. An example that comes to mind were the time penalties at last years nationals from folks dropping their
swim caps while going to T1. May not have been enforced in the past but .....

I sure would not take the chance. I guess some again think some rules are okay to ignore but others should be enforced.

And unless I have in writting myself from the head ITU official, no way would I take the word from anyone else!!!!

Last edited by: h2ofun: Mar 23, 15 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA legal at Worlds? [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this up again. I have a Cervelo P5-6 and appear to be OK for Chicago Worlds, but just want to be sure. Lauren's e-mail above appears to confirm I will be OK, and I looked at last year's photos and saw several P5-6s. I also saw a few discs and wheel covers, but not nearly as many as I thought I would. Any reason for that? I plan to use a wheel cover as well.

Thoughts?

Quote | Reply
I'm bringing my Wheelcover...hopefully it is allowed!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is absolutely Legal (as is the Cervelo P5-6 and Trek SC among many others that are not UCI legal).

I was one of the very few that showed up in Edmonton ready to race my brand new "beam" bike and was turned away at bike check in. I requested and was rejected approval by their "Technical Delegate" to use the beam bike. The rules were changed in early 2014 to disallow that type of bike. I will never again be ignorant of the ITU rules that may be changed on a yearly basis. Racing the World Champs on a road bike that was purchased several hours earlier really sucks.

I'll be in Chicago racing my 2015 Speed Concept with standard (non UCI legal) fork, handlebars, and rear wheel/brake fairing in place and have no concern whatsoever.
Quote Reply