Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16)
Quote | Reply
I did a Di2 upgrade to my Felt IA16 last weekend, and this has the project details. I am posting, because Di2 takes a lot of research and planning, and there was very little quality information posted about different approaches, essential components, wire lengths, etc. (The Shimano installation guides have everything you need, but they are also word vomit, so almost as bad as nothing.) I picked Di2 over eTap because the big Blip Box is difficult to hide and shows lots of wires no matter what you do. I achieved a much more hidden installation with Di2 than eTap, and I still have my Junction A fully accessible.

First, Shimano’s product managers should be scolded for making so much confusion from something that is relatively straight forward. The CAN bus has been around for decades. My last two cars were built around the CAN bus. I used to have a serial-to-CAN bus interface so I could monitor traffic on the bus. I understand it pretty well, and yet Shimano found a way to make it seem complicated.

Junction A and Junction B are bad names; they are stupid names. Junction B should have simply been called something like “Splitter Block,” “Wire Junction,” or “Wire Joiner.” That is all it is. It just splices E-Tube wires in parallel. It has no internal brains. Junction A should have been called something like the “Charging Port” or “Status Port.” That is what it is. That it also happens to have additional ports is immaterial. And the EW-JC130 should never have been called a Junction B. It should have been called a splitter.

This is key, because you can have as many Junction B ports in a bike as you want. They are just parallel wire splitters. However, a Junction A (not a junction) is a special interface that you must have exactly one.

I used the bar-end EW-RS910 Junction A in the end of my extension. That took some Dremel work on both the module and the inside of my extension to get it to fit. I got a good friction fit, so it requires no other tape to secure, and neither will it come out on its own. I also drilled a couple wire exit holes on my extensions near the back end of spacers so that I have a totally hidden wire path. The net result is that I have only one Di2 wire visible on the cockpit going from the stem into the frame.

Following are some summary bullets along with pictures of the Shimano topology I used along with a diagram of my specific design.
  • The total package is complicated. It is 19 parts on the bike, each of which must be individually selected (except for the shifters, which you buy in pairs).
  • I chose Ultegra RD & FD, because DA commanded a $350 price premium for just 66g in weight savings. I could find no other written benefit or advantage of DA.
  • I chose Dura Ace brake shifters because there were very close in price, and because they say “Dura Ace,” which I do like.
  • Even choosing the correct battery charger is confusing, due to different types of batteries and generations.
  • I also used the method of measuring the wire lengths and then adding 10%. This gives you too much wire for the long runs and not enough for the short runs. Instead, I would probably modify that to add 20% for runs under 400mm and 10% above 400mm.
  • You can put buttons nearly anywhere you want and individually program their functions. I may add another button on my extensions to change Garmin screens.
  • I chose the single-button shifters for both my extensions and brakes. This commits me to Synchro-only. I think I prefer that, because it is a lean installation. But, you could mount a mix or two-buttons both places and use the convenient Junction A to easily shift between modes.
  • Be alert to correctly attach the RD to the frame with Shimano’s new direct mount adapter. That adapter piece is supposed to be horizontal and there is a tab that should nestle into the B-screw stop on the RD hanger.
  • Routing cables can range from easy to PITA, depending on your frame. It is very easy on an IA16. I pushed the RD cable in from the RD end, and it came out at my fingertips at the BB. And, I just dropped the other cable in at the calpac area and it showed up at the BB area with everything else.
  • Routing cables through the Alpha X was pretty easy as well. I recommend removing the brake cable housings first to make more space for the Di2 cables. Then, reinstall the brake cable housings after you have the Di2 cables in.
  • I choose the EW-JC130-SM splitter for my brake cables, because that let me use a 4-port Junction B instead of the 6-port Junction B.
  • Don’t forget to get all of the frame grommets you will need.
  • My Profile Design T1+ Carbon extensions had a ridge where the tube got thicker about 15mm in. This interfered with the EW-RS910, so I had to Dremel that smooth a few more mm in to allow room for the length of the EW-RS910.
  • The FD has a little plastic cover that routes the cable behind it to keep it from hitting the wheel. (This is not shown in my FD pictures.) Don’t forget this little piece.

My parts list:
  • Rear Derailleur RD-R8050
  • Front Derailleur FD-R8050
  • Brake Shifters ST-R8060
  • Bar Shifters SW-R9160
  • Bar-end Junction A EW-RS910
  • Junction B 4-port 2x SM-JC41
  • Wireless Unit EW-WU111
  • Battery BT-DN110
  • Battery Charger SM-BCR2
  • Cable Brakes-B1 EW-JC130-SM
  • Cable Extension-A 400mm
  • Cable Extension-B1 500mm
  • Cable A-B1 200mm
  • Cable B1-WU101 150mm
  • Cable WU101-B2 800mm
  • Cable B2-Battery 250mm
  • Cable B2-FD 300mm
  • Cable B2-RD 650mm

The forum only allows a few pictures per post, so I will follow with a few more posts with additional pictures. These are Shimano's topology that I used as reference, my specific design, and all the stuff I had to buy. Last is the finished cockpit with just the single cable going from the cockpit to frame.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 27, 18 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA16 Di2 Upgrade Write-Up [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been waiting for the email 🤪
Quote Reply
Pictures of the EW-RS910 Modifications [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a pair of pictures of my modified extension and EW-RS910. Then, the back view of the cockpit with the EW-RS910 installed and the clean front view. The only imperfection is the front brake cable, which is not easily remedied on the IA16.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 25, 18 12:20
Quote Reply
Basebar Cable Routing & Kit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last is a picture of the interim cable routing in the basebar. Plus pictures of the installed derailleurs.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 25, 18 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA16 Di2 Upgrade Write-Up [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got around to sorting everything out. On a related topic, yesterday I did a 50 mile ride on my newly upgraded road bike with eTap. Electronic shifting is so awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I finally got around to sorting everything out. On a related topic, yesterday I did a 50 mile ride on my newly upgraded road bike with eTap. Electronic shifting is so awesome!

đź‘Ś
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electrician by trade,

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the excellent write up.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing, saving this down for when I upgrade to Di2 later this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you buy the new calpac cover ? I have the same bike and hate the original cover . Bike looks awesome , hope hear back thanks again !
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA16 Di2 Upgrade Write-Up [norcal4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the new Calpac from my bike shop where I bought my bike. Felt has a program where they are selling the new calpac for 1/2 price to original (I think) owners. Just give your shop a call. Or, you can order it online from Felt’s website for full price if you don’t feel like waiting or messing wiTh the admin.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
First, Shimano’s product managers should be scolded for making so much confusion from something that is relatively straight forward.
  • The total package is complicated. It is 19 parts on the bike, each of which must be individually selected (except for the shifters, which you buy in pairs)

Blame Japan. And also, the lack of an online widget that tells you what you need to build a complete kit. But mostly, Japan.

Related - I don't remember the names of their mechanic tools because it's too complicated, and I've taken about a million S-TEC online classes. I have to look up the stupid tool names for almost every quiz.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PoorLBSEmployee wrote:
And also, the lack of an online widget that tells you what you need to build a complete kit.
THIS. I was trading emails with one of the bike shops, and I told him that the first bike shop to put up a Di2 solution designer will greatly increase their sales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice writeup. But with Alpha X, the eTap install is WAY less complicated and the blip box can be hidden behind the stem with practically 0 wires showing... and about 1 hour worth of install work. But of course, an eTap minigroup rarely goes for less than $1100, factoring in clicks that you will need to make this tidy and a spare battery that you may want just in case.....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put eTap on my road bike the same weekend. And I agree that its installation is awesomely easy.

I considered eTap for my tri bike too, but I could not figure out a way to hide the Blip box. I was not willing to put the Blip Box inside the frame under the Calpac as some have done. So, the best case I could come up with was attaching the Blip to either the top of the stem cover or under the bridge. This would require two wires exiting from the stem cap and the other two coming in from the extensions-- four semi-loose wires in view and in the wind.

The other thing I did not like about an eTap TT installation was the button configuration at the brake levers. It looks a little less polished to have the blips and clamps behind the brake levers, especially on my bike, because I do not use handlebar tape. I could hide the blips under tape if I used it, but it is still sub-optimized compared to the Shimano approach with buttons integrated in the brake levers.

If SRAM ever decides to create TT brake levers that have integrated wireless and shift buttons (like their road brake levers), then I may remove the Di2 and install eTap on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great posts, and timely. I am in process of buying the remaining parts I need to upgrade my IA16. Going with 1x11 with XTR rear but otherwise same setup.

Dennis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If SRAM ever decides to create TT brake levers that have integrated wireless and shift buttons (like their road brake levers), then I may remove the Di2 and install eTap on my tri bike.

Seriously. I can barely believe they even released it as is! I think it speaks volumes about the TT market relative to the road market unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I want TT brake levers with integrated shifters. Cabling them would be a pain in the ass (unlike the road version). The blipbox is actually very convenient for doing microadjustments on the RD (because you can unplug it and get very close to the RD) and it gives you yet another way to shift.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I don't know if I want TT brake levers with integrated shifters. Cabling them would be a pain in the ass (unlike the road version). The blipbox is actually very convenient for doing microadjustments on the RD (because you can unplug it and get very close to the RD) and it gives you yet another way to shift.
I get that, and I considered buying a BlipBox to go along with my road bike for the convenience and coolness factor. But, after doing miroadjustments during the initial setup and then while riding, I decided it would have been a total waste of money. eTap is so easy and cool that benefit is overstated. Regarding microadjustments on the road, that would be very difficult on a well-hidden Blip Box. It would be a blind guess at best. Whereas, doing microadjustments from a combo brake-shifter would be super easy and cool. (It is super easy and cool on a road bike, superior to any Di2 microadjustment scenario.)

Cabling integrated brake levers would not be that different from cabling the current setup. You have to do basically the same runs, but the difference would be one long wire versus two separate wires. And once it is done, you never have to touch it. Definitely a crapton easier than cabling a Di2 TT setup... Want to truly experience a PITA, cable Di2 on a tri bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you were you able to use the EW-JC130-SM Y splitter with the DA brake levers?, it did not work with my Ultegra's
Last edited by: Art M.: Mar 4, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

First, Shimano’s product managers should be scolded for making so much confusion from something that is relatively straight forward. The CAN bus has been around for decades. My last two cars were built around the CAN bus. I used to have a serial-to-CAN bus interface so I could monitor traffic on the bus. I understand it pretty well, and yet Shimano found a way to make it seem complicated.

That's because it isn't CAN bus :) The first gen 4 wire dura-ace stuff was CAN protocol. The two wire stuff has some sort of phase shift encoding I think (I hooked it up to an oscilloscope once, and quickly decided it was beyond worthwhile effort to decode). Of course that doesn't detract from the valid general complaint of complexity!!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [ianm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianm wrote:
That's because it isn't CAN bus :) The first gen 4 wire dura-ace stuff was CAN protocol. The two wire stuff has some sort of phase shift encoding I think (I hooked it up to an oscilloscope once, and quickly decided it was beyond worthwhile effort to decode).
You have it backwards. The new DI2 is absolutely CAN bus. The old stuff was point-to-point direct wire-- each of the four wires carried a shift up or down to each derailleur, hence the four wires. CAN bus is a two-wire serial bus. One wire is ground and the other is +5V power & signal. Each device is a CAN interface that sends a network package to the battery control unit which interprets the command and determines the appropriate action based on the shift program selected. Then, the battery decides to send subsequent commands to each derailleur as determined by the button command and programming.

There are a crapton of CAN Bus interfaces in the world. Here's one that was designed for BMWs, but it will work on any CAN Bus. You can sniff the network packages across on a PC with this. And, you can even send commands. The really cool thing is that you can even send commands. http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I know one wire caries power and signal. I've also bought DI2 devices, taken them to bits for the purpose of seeing if there were easy to reverse engineer.
I've also designed CAN bus motor control systems in the past, both the electronics and the firmware, so I'm pretty reasonably au fait with what a CAN bus signal looks like.It ain't CAN!
The original 4 wire was power, ground and the two differential CAN wires - CAN works by the differential voltage between two wire defining the bit value. If you ain't got two differential signals you aint got CAN.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [ianm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correcting myself, i've now found a single wire CAN standard :) The signal still doesn't resemble the Shimano one though, as it isn't modulated :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we're does DA 9071 di2 fall? Can or no can.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Detailed Upgrade Write-Up (Felt IA16) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAN. Shimano switched to the current CANBus architecture with Ultegra 6770 Di2, and it has been the same since. All of the parts since then are kind of interchangeable. For example, if you don’t want to go synchro, you could use the 2-button shifters from either 9070 or 6800.
Quote Reply

Prev Next