Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install
Quote | Reply
My new Felt DA is a fantastic bike and it seems like I am going faster with the same wattage output than my previous bike (with round tubes). That being said, I was extremely disappointed with the braking system. The reason I had kept my old , round tubed bike, with Dura Ace brakes, for so long!
I tried every different way I could to make the rear brake work well. I tried an expensive housing. I tried a shifter housing. I was unable to match the Dura Ace brakes, no matter what I tried.
That's when I made a decision to change the brakes to something I could live with. I bought the new Magura RT8 hydraulic brakes. For anyone who doesn't know, they are the brakes installed OEM on the new Cervelo P5.

I hope these pictures help anyone who might want to upgrade. It was quite a bit of work but the end result was WELL worth the effort. Let's just put it this way. I will be much more confident screaming into the 180's with this setup!

OK here we go:

Front brake was a straight install. So no need to show anything other than the finished product!

The rear brake was a little more tricky. First step was to fabricate a bracket out of flat stock aluminum.

Next step is to modify the underside access hole behind existing rear brake (you should have already removed the original brake). Luckily Felt located this access hole so we didn't have to do anything too structural. All I did was opened up the hole a little. I also opened up an area behind my Di2 battery housing to fish the hydraulic hose through. (I bet your wondering how I used Di2 with my new levers).

Next, I drilled a couple of holes to put rivet nuts into. This holds the bracket in place on the frame.

Insert rivet nuts

The hardest part of this fit was to fish the hydraulic line UNDER the bottom bracket. I used a piece of electric wire.

If you can manage that then just pull your line through.

And install the new brake already mounted on the bracket.

Now the best part of all. Take some NEW Di2 Sprinter/climbing shifters and attach them to your levers and you'll
have the ability to use the new Di2 (who wants to wait for Shimano's new brake levers anyway?)

This setup REALLY WORKS!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

See you when I pass!
Last edited by: ugojordy: Mar 5, 13 2:13
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [ugojordy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is an impressive retrofit. Great job figuring it all out.

But one thing strikes me immediately: that stock aluminum plate that you're using, I've worked with it before (I'm assuming it came as a long strip from the local hardware store). I've used it to make an extension arm on a front derailleur. It works, but it's not that strong. And the forces with a front derailleur are so much lower than the potential max forces on a brake. And I'd be more than a little concerned by the integrity of the plate, especially the two outermost holes. The material around those holes is not sufficient in my view to protect you from all eventualities. I would leave a lot more material around those holes or, better yet, replace that aluminum piece with a slightly thinner (but still beefy) stainless steel plate.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a seriously cool retrofit!

But I do share the above concern wrt the aluminium as well as the rivet nuts.
The plate will break. It is only a matter of time...unless of course it something like a heat treated 7000 series alloy
The rivet nuts Im not sure about as Ive never used them. Im more worried about them pulling out of the carbon than them actually failing.
This may well be a totally bogus concern though as I cant tell the thickness of the carbon nor can I tell exactly how they are held in.

But that is a seriously awesome job and I am very envious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how has this set up held up? Do you think it would be possible to just machine a bigger, single horseshoe-shaped adapter plate the went from the orginal v-brake mounts to the single center bolt?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [Hook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode my DA this morning for 2 hrs. Like new. No problems. Have not touched it since I installed the Magura brakes. They work perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [Hook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hook wrote:
how has this set up held up? Do you think it would be possible to just machine a bigger, single horseshoe-shaped adapter plate the went from the orginal v-brake mounts to the single center bolt?

I think the horseshoe mount you describe would be the only safe way to accomplish mounting a Magura brake. The mount could use the larger reinforced inserts in the frame for the M8 studs that normally mount the linear pull rear brake.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi ugojordy

how did you stick the shifters to the brake levers ?, I am about to do the same conversion and would prefer this than using cable ties!

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [bradshannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trick to this is to use two part plumbers epoxy. You can buy it at Home Depot. It's like play dough that you rub together. Nice thing is that if you ever need to take it off, it will simply pry off. I know, as I have had to replace a shifter. When you put the shifter in place, just tape it on for 10 minutes and it will hod in place. Then clean off excess and touch up with flat black paint!
Done! BTW, all the naysayers were wrong! My system is holding up just fine after multiple Ironmans and 70.3's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [bradshannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW: This retro fit was done almost 2 years ago now, and we have been doing these conversions in our Tri shop on a regular basis since then. The quality of Magura (almost maintenance free) is unprecedented! The stopping power is awesome.
Call if you are having a problem. Happy to help you out.

George Robb
Tri Bike Run
West Palm Beach
Florida
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone in New England that can do this retrofit?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can send it to me, if you like?

George Robb

Tri Bike Run
13975 US HWY 1
Juno Beach FL 33408

Store:561-627-2453

http://www.tribikerun.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ugojordy wrote:

George Robb

Tri Bike Run
13975 US HWY 1
Juno Beach FL 33408

I'm very tempted. On the road will call you next week with questions. Thanks Tim Cronk

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any other hydraulic brake that could fit on the felt da? Or is the best option to make a horseshoe bracket that would attach to the existing rear brake holes?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Is there any other hydraulic brake that could fit on the felt da? Or is the best option to make a horseshoe bracket that would attach to the existing rear brake holes?

Horseshoe bracket is the only option (like the Shiv uses) because the other hydro brake doesn't have a tri-lever option.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
ugojordy wrote:

George Robb

Tri Bike Run
13975 US HWY 1
Juno Beach FL 33408

I'm very tempted. On the road will call you next week with questions. Thanks Tim Cronk

In Reply To:

So, what did you do?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
cobalt wrote:
ugojordy wrote:

George Robb

Tri Bike Run
13975 US HWY 1
Juno Beach FL 33408

In Reply To:

So, what did you do?

The simple fact that these Felt DA rear brake threads keep popping up and getting revived speaks VOLUMES !

As much as I was tempted to go with the Magura Brake install it just seemed too much of a head ache and cost... Probably better off changing bikes... What I did ... First I switched to FLO wheels with aluminum brake tracks (I run a 90 or a Disc in back so never have to adjust for wheel change)... I have my local LBS take apart , clean, assemble, adjust , rear brake twice a year , and then I fiddle with the adjustments till I'm ok with the operation.... I also bought a new aero road bike that did NOT have a similar brake !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
cobalt wrote:
ugojordy wrote:

George Robb

Tri Bike Run
13975 US HWY 1
Juno Beach FL 33408

In Reply To:

So, what did you do?

The simple fact that these Felt DA rear brake threads keep popping up and getting revived speaks VOLUMES !

As much as I was tempted to go with the Magura Brake install it just seemed too much of a head ache and cost... Probably better off changing bikes... What I did ... First I switched to FLO wheels with aluminum brake tracks (I run a 90 or a Disc in back so never have to adjust for wheel change)... I have my local LBS take apart , clean, assemble, adjust , rear brake twice a year , and then I fiddle with the adjustments till I'm ok with the operation.... I also bought a new aero road bike that did NOT have a similar brake !

Those FLO wheels sure seem like a great value for the money.

I sure would not have wanted to cut my bike up like the Felt DA install Magura Brakes.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this thread (years later)

I bought my DA4 second hand (so it was a case of buying as nicer a bike as I could find to fit me well...rather than choosing what I wanted the most) and slowly buying parts to make it better. Last weekend in the hills on a very rainy race was the last straw... the event was not closed road so on blind corners the lack of stronger brakes was terrifying. Research has pointed me to the Maguras...at least for the front. this thread gives me ideas for the rear (which is so bad and goes out of alignment to easy so it has become an 'in emergency only' option).

Please never remove this thread or take down the pictures (there is one missing at the end! :-( ).
I am in the UK, so this will be a DIY job! - a couple o questions:

1) was the front brake a simple swap using the 'front' magura? (I have seen that SHIVs need 2 x rear brakes)
2) Why do you need to cut up the underside of the bike?
I can see that you have put in the rivets - but would using the horshoes bracket people have spoken about remove this need to cut up the bike?
Or is it so the brake caliper bolt doesnt hit the frame?

Many thanks
Paul
Last edited by: paulthewitt: Jun 16, 17 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there

still not done the rear conversion yet (moving house is really messing things up)
However, your pics have disappeared (hosting?).

I really appreciate this threads existence and am hoping you could fix this as I am soon to use it for my own project!!

many thanks if you can

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [paulthewitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be the only person here with a functional rear brake on a Felt DA
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine works. It isn't amazing but it works and haven't needed, knock on wood, another brake to stop faster. Good brake pads work wonders!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine works just fine as well. Center the wheel. Adjust the brake. Go.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at the point that I can lock up the rear wheel on demand. I did work with it a lot and it still requires fine adjustment when I change wheels.

Probably the best change I made was putting Dura Ace brake levers (7900 Bl-tt79) on the bike (thanks to gregk)
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Magura hydraulic brake install [paulthewitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bringing ti back up
about a year since Paul said he was going to give it a shot
I too purchased a second hand 2012 Felt DA that needed some mechanical work.
Replaced Red group set with etap - very easy compared to Di2 (hasn't been off stand yet to say if better on road or not.
While it was up there i decided to give the Magura RT8 tt swap a shot.
So far I have only created my template:
Started with a pice of cardboard and then moved up to 3/4" piece of wood (about 2 hours total in to fitting so far - 5-6 cardboard templates, and then 5-6 wood templates). It isn't flat on the bottom and the post holes have to be drilled at a angle (I eye balled it until i got it to fit nice and then used that one as my drill guide - 1st thing i do to the wood is drill the 2 post holes and then cut out around them...).
I have 3 pieces of Aluminum coming this week (1/4" up to 3/4") and will try to nock out a working model before end of weekend.
Not sure if the 3/4" is where i will end up, the brakes hang kinda low.
Quote Reply

Prev Next