Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese?
Quote | Reply
There have been a number of posts concerning these bikes individually, but not the up front comparison I guess I need. Hopefully you can help me out somewhat.

I am about to get a new TT bike for this season, and now I am down to three contenders.

1. Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1. Ultegra 6800 build. I can get this not locally, but almost, at approx 4000 $ (in Sweden that is, bikes are more expensive here). Oval carbon/alu 45 mm clinchers.
2. Felt DA4 2013. Ultegra 6700. This one will cost med probably 500 $ less than the Fuji. Felt TTR wheels.
3. Chinese. Build it up myself with Ultegra or Force 22. Most likely cheaper than both the above alternatives.

Wheels are not that important when considering these actually, as I will use my FFWD disc with Reynolds Strike front wheel. I have been on a Felt B2 for the last three years, but the seatpost clamp cracked. A great bike, but I did not really get any support from Felt when it cracked, which kind of makes me doubt if I need another Felt.

The Fuji seems quite interesting, but not as race proven as the DA4.

The Chinese build would be around the same frame as the Stevens Super Trofeo/ Fondriest/Olmo Kronos. I guess it is not that race proven either, but it could be an interesting bike.

Which one should I go for? I think I can get a pretty good fit on all of them, even if the Chinese frame might be close to small.
I appreciate all input I can get....
Last edited by: PedSwe: Mar 22, 14 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [PedSwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, if you are concerned about "support" i'm sure you'll get no support for the Chinese bike, correct? if it's an open mold & you're buying it from the bay or a similar source, there isn't really a warranty, right?

i'm interested as to why you didn't get the support you want from Felt, because it seems that they are well represented in this forum.

anyway, i don't have the white papers for the DA or the Norcom, but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with either.
you have already said you "think" you can get a similar fit on both, which is what ultimately matters. so, at that point it comes down to which bike you actually like better.

p.s. - i wonder if you inquired at local shops about last year's stock you might be able to find a higher-end frame possibly with Di2 for a price similar to what you are quoting above; it's that time of year for shops to be clearing out last years stock...

Quote | Reply
If I go the Chinese direction, support is not the key issue. I guess cost is :-) However, they claim they offer two years warranty on their product, but I have no idea if that equals what we usually know as two years warranty.

The Felt issue was that my frame was more than 2 years old and could not be replaced under warranty.

I wish I could go to the local shop and get a deal. The problem is that northern Sweden is not actually full of bike shops, and practically none of them stock TT bikes. The Fuji is actually "just" 400 km away, while I would get the Felt from a good German shop I have been dealing with throughout the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i see. well, if cost factors in i would buy the Felt. (but i think i would go that direction even if cost wasn't an option)
you'll save yourself about $500 & get a really solid bike.
you already have wheels, so that isn't an issue.

i just couldn't bring myself to buy Chinese ( i know, i know - most carbon bikes from the big companies are made in China).
i'm just wary of where it's coming from, the quality of the carbon & the craftsmanship.

Quote | Reply
how did you not get support from Felt? original owner?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I did get an offer to buy a 2013 frame with 10% discount on retail price... I am the original owner of the frame. Not sure if the shop I bought it from was an authorized Felt dealer though (and the shop was closed before my frame went broken).
I agree that Felt, judging to what I have seen here on ST, seem to honor warranties (my frame was three years old, and the warranty extended for two years).
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [KING_COOPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KING_COOPA wrote:
i'm interested as to why you didn't get the support you want from Felt, because it seems that they are well represented in this forum.

+1. Felt generally has a pretty good reputation for customer service. I'd be shocked you if you couldn't get another seat post.... as an aside, if you're otherwise happy with your bike, you might consider getting a seat/seatpost combo from Dash Cycles :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was under the impression the warranty was lifetime to original owner. have been plenty wrong before
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with the earlier B2's is when the seat post clamp crack, the whole frame is unusable. That is because the clamp itself is non-removable and non-fixable. Just a broken clamp or post wouldn't have made me run for a new frame/bike :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the DA4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you get it to fit without any wackiness. .. The Fuji is the faster of the bikes listed (in aiming your open mold is the fm098).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Felt DA. I've never been impressed by Fuji's designs.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Assuming you get it to fit without any wackiness. .. The Fuji is the faster of the bikes listed (in aiming your open mold is the fm098).

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DA4. Best value outta the ones you picked.

The Norcom is eh.

Nick@Tririg isn't impressed by the Norcom but loves the Felt TT stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'd like to see any data you have on that...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the DA4 and tack on a TriRig Omega in the front...
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I'd like to see any data you have on that...

I dont have it, nor have I even seen it. But I'm basing this off of comments from two of the most respected minds I know when it comes to aero on bikes - and they both have said that there are only a small handful of bikes faster than the Norcom if its in the right configuration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm skeptical because the Norcom just doesn't look anything special to me. And Fuji's previous frame was pretty bad. Did these people have WT data to back it up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet the Norcom frame isn't anything revolutionary and has an ugly aerobar. I don't believe that at all.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 22, 14 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not WT data but I have the Norcom in my frame tubing measurements list
It's much closer to the UCI limits than the D6 was (that frame is much further down the list which is sorted by DT aspect ratio) so I would expect it to be much faster.
I don't have a feeling for how it would compare to the DA, though it's noteworthy that the IA testing showed the DA to not measure up all that well against superbike standards.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that the Norcom would beat the D6... but that isn't saying much.

The headtube is fat and not very deep, the seat tube and post are not very deep, and I don't like the seatstay-seattube junction. It isn't as bad as the D6 which was horrible, but it looks like the airflow is directed outward and then has nothing to do but get dumped behind it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reliable sources (AC) say that the NS is faster than the old P3.

But why even consider the NS (or almost any other bike on the market) when you can get the NP2?

But to answer the OP, I'd pick the DA over the options listed.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Mar 23, 14 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't surprise me too much... but I'll bet the new P3 is better.

What's an NP2?

I've become more skeptical of data regarding frames. I was in the market for a newer frame last fall because I'm riding 10 year old tech. After reading all the data I could find and figuring there was .01-.02 CdA to be saved... I looked at my bike. Even .01 CdA is 100cm^2 of blunt surface sticking out in the wind. That's a lot... and I'm not seeing it. Maybe 50... but that would only be vs the best frames out there. The ones I could afford all miss "perfection" in various ways also, and I couldn't convince myself that I'd even notice a difference.

When you consider maybe ~10% improvement in cycling *equipment* aerodynamics since the 80s... and that is frame, wheels, helmet?, clothes... everything... my 2005 TTT is probably good enough...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo NP2, supposedly as fast as the NP3 with a slightly different fork crown:

I'm especially skeptical of the companies who keep pushing the idea that higher yaw is where you spend most of your time at.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA4, Fuji Norcom 2.1 or Chinese? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does look nice! It's a shame they didn't use the stepped toptube-headtube... then it would almost be perfect with Omegas.
Quote Reply

Prev Next