Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt B14 Aero Help
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly new to triathlon and looking to kick it up a notch this season. I bought this as my first triathlon bike in the late fall of 2015 and this past season I decided to focus on running and finished my first 50 miler.

2017 will be all triathlon and I put some money into my intro 2015 B14.

New carbon cockpit
Stages crankarm power meter
New seat
Flo disk and 60 front wheels

I know this isn't the stiffest frame or most aero... Anything else you would recommend outside of getting a new frame?

I was thinking about a Tririg Omega X front brake. Any used ones floating around?

Any recommendations would be great.

Mission Kona Podcast
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2568182
Kona 2024 Qualifier
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [PayneM85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pretty much nailed the list. I would buy a power meter today, since it will immediately make your training more effective.

After that, brakes next, then wheels. After brakes and wheels, cockpit. The Bayonet 3 is pretty good.

Only do the seat if your old one is a problem for you. If it is, buy that before the PM.

Also, the FSA Omega is a total piece of crap. It has a lot of lateral flex. I would replace that too. You can shave a 1/2 pound of weight, gain stiffness, and get some minor aero gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I needed to be more clear.

I've already upgraded to a profile design SVET carbon base and carbon extensions. And upgraded to the FSA 386 carbon crank and stages power meter. I changed the seat as well to an ISM PS 1.1. lastly I got a set of race wheels disk and 60 flos all carbon.

How bad is the frame? Would it make a big difference to switch to something like the IA 10, Shiv?

Mission Kona Podcast
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2568182
Kona 2024 Qualifier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are already pretty awesome. The IA and Shiv are better, but most of the drag is coming from all the other junk attached to the frame, compared to just the frame. Doing a frame transplant is a lot of cost and effort for the gain. But, if I had the resources, I would do it. I am an IA16 captain and love it. I have done most of the same upgrades as you. Cockpit and crank are next for me. I am still on 105, while you have Ultegra. But the drivetrain is on my list as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I've got a felt b14 too and been doing some upgrades - adding ultegra crank (w/ praxis) and was going to put ultegra brakes on it. LBS says they can't get an ultegra or a 105 to work on the rear mounted brake. Said they can't think of comparable options that would work and that I need to stick w/ the stock brake for the rear. Really? Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRmd wrote:
So I've got a felt b14 too and been doing some upgrades - adding ultegra crank (w/ praxis) and was going to put ultegra brakes on it. LBS says they can't get an ultegra or a 105 to work on the rear mounted brake. Said they can't think of comparable options that would work and that I need to stick w/ the stock brake for the rear. Really? Any thoughts?
I think I read in another thread that the Felt B14 uses a TRP rear brake which is compatible with nothing. I think it is the TRP 922. It is a direct mount, but incompatible with the Shimano direct mount standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
SBRmd wrote:

I think I read in another thread that the Felt B14 uses a TRP rear brake which is compatible with nothing. I think it is the TRP 922. It is a direct mount, but incompatible with the Shimano direct mount standard.

I had no issues getting the Omega X mounted to my B14.

I have pretty much upgraded most components over the past 2 years, in this order
  • HED 60/90
  • Di2 DA
  • DA 9000 crank
  • Alpha X

as noted, Frame is pretty aero at least versus the cost of replacing. now if you had $4-5K sitting around you surely could find better. but money is definitely better spent on low hanging fruit, professional fitting, helmet, tri suit, hydration systems. done right, those can save way more time.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, I'm fine with the frame. Have flo 60/90, now ultegra crank and was going to add ultegra brakes and was surprised to hear that shimano brakes wouldn't work for the rear. What'd u pay for omega?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I bought a pair when they were running one of their specials. You will see them listed on ST from time to time. I bought the front to be more aero. Rear is hidden but loved the ability to use hex key to adjust for different size tires. So much easier to switch out for training wheels or use on trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I've got a hard time paying the cost of my crankset for one brake. Too bad ultegra or 105 won't work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PayneM85 wrote:
Sorry I needed to be more clear.

I've already upgraded to a profile design SVET carbon base and carbon extensions. And upgraded to the FSA 386 carbon crank and stages power meter. I changed the seat as well to an ISM PS 1.1. lastly I got a set of race wheels disk and 60 flos all carbon.

How bad is the frame? Would it make a big difference to switch to something like the IA 10, Shiv?
It really depends on what you call "a big difference". In reality, nothing you've done is going to make a dramatic difference. You may gain a few minutes on the bike leg of an IM. I don't think the current B frames are bad at all. You might gain a bit from the deeper tubed frames on a windy day, but again, very small gains!
What you've got will not be the difference between a good performance or a bad one. If you're a pro or going for the AG podium, the small gains may matter to you, after that it's mostly absurd to worry about them (but I've done it too!)

Ensuring your position is good (and sustainable) and that your clothes/helmet are aerodynamically optimised will make a much bigger difference than any bike upgrades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Felt B14 uses the TRP T925 brake. IMHO, that is a crappy choice because of the side pull and noodle. If the TRP mounting standard is the same for all of their direct mount-style brakes, you could look at some of their other products. For example, the geometry of the TRP T930 looks very similar to the Shimano direct mounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
Rear is hidden but loved the ability to use hex key to adjust for different size tires. So much easier to switch out for training wheels or use on trainer.

Did you find a hex key shallow enough to get in behind the chainring to adjust the brake? Can't seem to and would appreciate a link to any site selling these. Ok, I can just about get in there with the tools I have, but it's a struggle and I hate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't let marketing get the best of you. That bike with just the new wheels will do anything you need it to do, no need to drop huge cash on another frame.
Do the proper training and make sure you have a decent position on the bike and youre good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to swap out the rear brake, you need a Dura Ace 7800. The only Shimano model to fit. This is a few generations back so will have to find on eBay. I have a B12 and swapped out the crap TRP brake for the DA. Makes a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
steve25 wrote:
Rear is hidden but loved the ability to use hex key to adjust for different size tires. So much easier to switch out for training wheels or use on trainer.

Did you find a hex key shallow enough to get in behind the chainring to adjust the brake? Can't seem to and would appreciate a link to any site selling these. Ok, I can just about get in there with the tools I have, but it's a struggle and I hate it.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain. I have the longer Park Tools hex and able to do it. Its been a few months, since it's been on the trainer since Nov. But I don't remember it being that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
If you want to swap out the rear brake, you need a Dura Ace 7800. The only Shimano model to fit. This is a few generations back so will have to find on eBay. I have a B12 and swapped out the crap TRP brake for the DA. Makes a big difference.

what year B12?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
acco wrote:
steve25 wrote:

Yes, it's a bit of a pain. I have the longer Park Tools hex and able to do it. Its been a few months, since it's been on the trainer since Nov. But I don't remember it being that bad.

Took a while to find them, but shallow hex keys do exist. Will buy at some point, should make adjusting the rear Omega more enjoyable.
http://products.wera.de/...50_pkls_9_sm_sb.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about switching over to Conti 700 x 25s on my B14. Wondering if there is enough adjustment to allow for those tires. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [Kevin Curtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it’s the same frame like the b10 then yes, I run these but had to adjust the alignment screws in the dropouts a bit.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw this thread, you can install an ultegra rear brake on this bike, I just did it on mine:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...4_P6480893/#p6480893
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ve done the big stuff. I’m a big fan of making the best out of what you have. The Flet is the fastest, but frames don’t make a huge difference in themselves. Assuming the frame and front end fit you well, then your position and setup are going to get the biggest aero gains.

The best bit is that aero can be done inexpensively - your time and effort. Read the ‘platypus’ thread and enter the madness of self aero testing. Unfortunately, the Stages is going to limit your ability to get good results being less than perfect at recording the power going in. See if you can borrow a Powertap wheel for that.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B14 Aero Help [Kevin Curtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, should be fine. I run the Conti 25s on mine with no clearance issue. I am using Omega breaks and needed the direct mount adapter with more clearance. It comes with 2.
Quote Reply