Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt B-series sizing (is probably fine)
Quote | Reply
After taking a break in 2012 and selling my S22 I'm now considering getting a nice bike for 2015. I like the look, price, and specs of the new B-series. But after reading the old article http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._B12_2013__3186.html which indicates that the lowest you can get the armrests above the stack/reach-point is 9cm I'm getting a bit concerned if the B-series would ever work for me?

For reference (let's ignore the seat is too high-comments, we did those in 2011) here's me on a size 54 S22 (513/414 stack/reach) with approx 10cm from head-tube to arm rests.

Felt suggests size 56 or 58 for me (181cm), but that's a stack of 554 (at size 56), and arm rests at 634 compared to my old S22 at 613. I could go to 54, but I would still be higher, and you always want to go lower I guess (or at least have the possibility).

If I would have to change the entire aerobar that seriously hurts the price performance of these bikes... Am I missing something?

Edit: based on this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5265726#5265726 I believe Dan didn't know about the configuration options of the aerobar and that the b-series is just fine for me.
Last edited by: earnstrom: Sep 25, 14 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B-series sizing (too tall?) [earnstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you got a 54 B14 (535/405) you can just run the same setup and take away 2cm of spacers and add 1 cm of reach (stem length) and the fit is the same, roughly. Don't worry about sizing (51/54/56) worry about stack/reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B-series sizing (too tall?) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I can. Dan's article says that the min height of the basebar above the head tube is 3cm, and that the min height of armrests above base bar is 6cm, so the size 54 will have its arm rests at 625 or higher.
Last edited by: earnstrom: Sep 2, 14 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I understand your issue. Stem/length angle factors into armpad stack.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B-series sizing (too tall?) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, it could work to get a stem that is more than -17 deg (the supplied stem in 2013, in 2015 it looks higher) to get lower, but then the bike starts to look silly IMO, so it might be better getting another bike.
I tried searching for pictures of people riding their new B-series bikes, but didn't find many. Pictures like this: doesn't help...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your picture shows about 2-3cm of spacers and a 2cm headset cap. Your old fit would have a more optimal setup on the new higher stack bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt B-series sizing (too tall?) [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you missed the numbers. The old bike was maybe a size too small, or could have been 2cm higher, but to get the arm rests at the same height with the b-series I would have to get a 52 with a crazy long stem, or a larger frame with a stem going below the top tube (if Dan was correct with his numbers). The bike just seems to tall for anyone trying to get upper body close to horizontal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from an old (2006) S22 56cm to a 2013 B12 56cm. Thing to remember is that the new frame is taller, by a lot. Being short-ish leg and long-ish torso type I liked the low and long, had plenty of TT clearance but had to spacer it as unlike you I cannot ride that low due to neck issues. With the 2013+ frame I'm at the TT without cleats and use a 20mm top cap, so the drop issue doesn't bother me. FWIW I'm at 178cm, could have gone with a 54 but was too good of a price on the 56.

I think you can get a ~1cm lower if one of the Cobb 5mm top caps can be used. (BTW, the 2015 B12 has the same -17* stem spec'd.)

I think this sentence from the article says it all: "The DA gives triathletes who want to ride low in front that choice, but for those who don’t (a huge number) the new B series is made for them."

Perhaps a better route is to look for a nice used DA, e.g.: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=Felt%20DA;#5225736

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply