Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt AR1 vs. Venge vs. Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (please help me decide)
Quote | Reply
The time has come to send my 10 year old road bike (Stevens Aspin) to retirement and I am looking for a bit of input for my next road bike.
I have been strongly considering an aero road bike. This is because I also do a few draft legal races a year (so far only sprint but will try at least 1 olympic next year) and I really like the aero look.
I have been looking at the Cervelo S3, BMC TMR02, Scott Foil, Merida Reacto but as I am 194 cm tall I am a bit limited by sizes (biggest size for most bikes if that isn't already too small) and the top tube length of all these bikes come close to that of my Aspin and I'm currently using a 140 mm stem (which looks great btw). That's why my choice came down to 3 bikes:

Felt AR1, Specialized Venge and Canyon Aerod CF SLX.

As far as I know the AR1 and the Venge seem to be great bikes and have now been around for a bit but my favorite would be the Aeroad since it looks simply amazing and has Canyon's own new H11 Aerocockpit which they claim saves 5.5 W vs a traditional cockpit. The downside of the Canyon is the lack of reviews (except some first impressions on short test rides) and the availability. The frameset will predictably be available in late May/early June. This is why I would probably go for the complete bike (Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2) which could be available in a few weeks and would cover my need for race wheels.

One last thing which has to be said is the fact that I want to ride a road bike for IM Nice next year (first full IM) because I feel so much safer on a bike with drop bars while going downhill and I assume the descents in Nice a far more technical to what I am used to.

I don't expect too much input on the Canyon as the new Aeroad is all new and I doubt there are too many Canyon riders on Slowtwitch but I'm living 2 hours away from their showroom in Koblenz so why not consider them...

So is there anything useful I should know about the Venge and the AR1, especially when considering to use them with clip-ons?

Are there any reasons why not to buy one of the above?

Did I miss out on any models which I should absolutely be considering?

Are the Reynolds Strike SLG which come on the Canyon any good? (I am currently training and racing on FLO 30's and would love to have some fancy race wheels)

I'd be very thankful for any good advice.
Last edited by: luxtri89: Oct 31, 14 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR1 vs. Venge vs. Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (please help me decide) [luxtri89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would get the Canyon!!! Especially since you can pick it up and it would be easy to deal with any warranty problems.

I looked at the 8.0 one as well but since my Ultimate AL is still going strong and with no road racing I will just keep dreaming about it...But I don't think there is a better bike out there especially for the price (if you want Di2 and racewheels at least).

Did they really changed that much from the Aeroad to the SLX? I know a few people who are very happy with the original Aeroad so I would guess the SLX will be good as well. I know some people think the Aeroad is not stiff enough but then again I feel like stiffness is just a marketing tool anyway (amazing how they manufactures can increase the stiffness 25% for each new model)

not sure how the clip-one will work with the integrated bars.

also I would really reconsider not doing the IM on an timetrialbike...
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR1 vs. Venge vs. Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (please help me decide) [luxtri89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Canyon is absolutely crushing value, compared to everything else, and the 8.0 Di2 model even more so.
That alone is a good reason to choose it. Ultegra Di2 is as good as it gets, and the Reynolds carbon clinchers might be resold on ebay.de for 1000 euros easily to choose another wheelset if you wanted.

Not so sure about Canyon aero claims (the new Cervelo S5 bar is claimed to have a 4.4W savings, hard to imagine Canyon was able to produce something even better by 20% percent). Regarding the built bikes, I guess the Cervelo would be more aero, as would be the Felt (especially, if you put a road aero bar on it).

I was in the market for an aero bike (just the S5 in place of Venge). I would have chosen Cervelo if they gave me a better preorder discount, but eventually went for the Felt, as I was able to source a magnificent deal on an almost unused AR FRD frameset (and the geometry is almost 1:1 identical to Cannondale I'm riding now).

Things which I did not like about Canyon or did not have information about:
* unknown quantity in the aero department - even other manufacturers do not seem to include it in their wind tunnel tests
* the H11 aerobar comes together with the stem... no options to change if you are in need of tweaking your geometry - moreover, the new Aeroad SLX is quite a long and low bike - definitely different from the bike you've been riding before

But the value factor can't be ignored, especially looking at the package you get.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Last edited by: mrlobber: Oct 31, 14 5:22
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR1 vs. Venge vs. Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (please help me decide) [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to last years Aeroad CF, there have been a lot of changes I think.
The SLX is more of a road bike version of Canyon's Speedmax CF TT/Tri Bike.
It became stiffer, lighter and faster which may be true but I'd rather not believe all their numbers.

As for the integrated bars, I'd probably have to change the bars if I wish to put clip-ons on the bike. Not the biggest problem only some extra cost and a little bit of work but I wouldn't swap bars every few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly LOVE my AR5... would love an AR1 for sure.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll make some comments on this one for the OG

1. If you can test ride the Canyon do it! I hear it's a good bike but being in Canada there is no presence for them so I can't shed any light. Like the other user said though, being that close for warranty and service issues is nice and the bike is a huge value.

2. I own a Felt AR so I can comment on this one fully. This bike has been the nicest riding road bike I've owned. There are claims that it's "too stiff" and "a bit heavy" but honestly how many people can tell the difference between 100g of weight on a bike? If you're one of them so be it avoid this bike but overall it is a world class machine and Felt is a great brand to deal with.

3. Reynolds SLG wheelset is nice! I know they are not as prevalent in the peloton but I've got 2 sets of Reynolds (Assault + Strike) and they've both been a dream to ride on. Sure Mavic, Enve, Zipp may have a couple of models that are marginally better but unless you're world class you're not going to notice the difference.

If it were up to me I'm a bit of a Felt fan boy so I'd take that route but there is nothing wrong with any of those bikes in truth. Pick the one that fits best and makes your heart flutter. Falling in love for the next ten years should be the ultimate goal!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR1 vs. Venge vs. Canyon Aeroad CF SLX (please help me decide) [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do really like Felt and do also own one.
My DA4 (2013) is a really nice bike and the only thing I dislike about it is the rear brake and the armrest pads could be a little bit more comfy.
And being a happy Felt customer doesn't make the decision easier.
The Aeroad was love at first sight when I saw Katusha use it in this years Tour and Purito using it all the time made me think that it couldn't be too bad.
The Sepcialized actually only got my attention because I started reconsidering all the options and now all thre bikes make me feel like I could be missing out on something when not choosing them.
Last edited by: luxtri89: Oct 31, 14 8:07
Quote Reply