Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: February Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
monty wrote:
Monty, did you and Jason decide on the final events for this month????? //

Let's not bite off too much to kick this thing off, dont want to scare anyone out of the pond.. In my mind it would be fine to begin with a 50 fly, 50 back, and either a 100 or 200IM depending on if you do short or long course. We can put those in the line up for this month, but you can attack your times from now on, and we can add a few more next month and thereafter.

What do you think Jason? Do we need a distance meet to go along side??

On another note I just saw a spring pentathlon coming up in less than 2 weeks, I'm actually considering it. Haven't swam a meet in 4 years!!!

Sounds good to me. I don't really wanna do a virtual distance meet at this point, the sprints are fun and easier to slot in to public lane swims. Plus, like Dev said way back, we all are doing distance stuff in tri-season, for those of us who are doing / returning to tris. I still have painful memories over the 1500 I did in the fall. I think that over the next few months to basically expand that lineup to a sprint pentathlon (50's of all strokes plus a 100IM (or 2IM if LCM). Doesn't all have to be done in one session / virtual meet, just do it over the "season".

So for this month are these the final events to post?

50 Fly
50 back
50 breast
50 free
200 IM
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what Monty suggested. 50 fly 50 back 100 IM (200 IM if swimming lcm). Add the other events in later months

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3200 SCY, still working that 1:14.80/100 1650 goal pace

Warm Up
200 pull, 200 kick
8x25 drill

Main Set
16 x 150 on 2:15, target <1:51.40
(I missed # 14, took an extra interval's worth of rest before # 15)

Cool Down
200 EZ choice

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 21, 18 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think what Monty suggested. 50 fly 50 back 100 IM (200 IM if swimming lcm). Add the other events in later months

OK I will do the 50 fly, 50 back and 200IM tomorrow and report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in.
Tomorrow maybe the 50s with the IM on monday... will see what group is like.
daved
Might bring gopro and video it.
Why not just put it out there?? haha
warning it wont be pretty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to hop on this thread because I'm pretty happy with a workout I did yesterday (scy):

Warmup:
200 swim w/ fins
200 kick w/ fins
200 pull w/ buoy
4x100 descend on 2:00

Main set:
4x1k on 14:00 (12:18, 12:35, 12:34, 12:43)

Coodown:
200 choice

Definitely the most tired I've ever been in a pool. Didn't feel as good as 3x1k I did a couple of weeks ago but I made the intervals which was the goal.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 22, 18 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an impressive workout! well done!

daved
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well-done.

3.5 mi run and 800ish yards in a hotel pool. Outdoor hotel pool :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Im in.
Tomorrow maybe the 50s with the IM on monday... will see what group is like.
daved
Might bring gopro and video it.
Why not just put it out there?? haha
warning it wont be pretty

I am coming into 4 days off so today as part of a 90 min 4400m workout, I did 7x200 IMand one times 400IM. Rest of workout was free or fin work.

I hit a PBin the second 200IM with a 3:40....I was so close to 3:39, but it think my higher cadence strategy on the breast backfired as it winded me with less glide and I went 3 seconds slower than earlier in the week on the breast leg.

In any case I took my 200IM from 3:52 to 3:40 in a month and it was mainly on back and breast with maybe a second to two faster on the free leg from being less cooked after the back and breast.

I will post a 50 fly and 50 back time hopefully on the 28th, but just came out of a cortisone injection in my disc, so nothing hard for several days.
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to figure out what to do today, then I remembered the set of 150's you did Gary in prep for your 1650. I was thinking I would do a pull one in the next week or two, so I pinched most of your set, just a bit slower of course;

2x150s@2;20(2;07/2;06) 150 IM kick(2;56)

12x150p@2;15( 1;56to 1;57's) 150IM kick(2;58)

8x50's fly@1;00/back@1;30/breast@1;00/back@1;30 twice through (fly-36/35. breast--45/43- backs-45/43/44/42)

200 dolphin kick
3x50s@1;00(37/37/35
3000SCY

so looks like I maybe will be able to hold 1;20's or just under for 1650, have to be a good day...
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short Course Yards:

5 x 200 @ 2:45
5 x 200 @ 2:40 (2:24-:26)
1 x {600 snorkel
{400 snorkel and paddles
{400 snorkel as 25 kick, 75 swim
{100 snorkel
6 x 200 @ 2:40 paddles
4 x 75 @ :03 rest, 25 kick, 50 swim
4 x 50 @ :45 (:33-:34)
4 x 50 @ :03 rest, 25 kick, 25 back
100 free easy

5500yards
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still at a conference. 9 mi run w/ 2 mi @ 8:00, then 2 x 1 mi @ 7:53
550 ish yards in the hotel pool

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in withdrawl....2 days without swimming after getting a cortisone shot in my disc. Doc says that I can swim today (48 hours later), but I don't trust myself to overdo it once I get going as I know I will start "testing" to see if the injection is working and really it does not start really having an effect until 3-7 days later, so better resist and virtually swim through all you people on this thread....so please post some feats of strength. I'll get back in the pool tomorrow after 72 hours have expired!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got news for you Dev, there is a thing in swimming called a taper. Having 3 days off is just going to mean that you will probably crush your old times you did when tired. And when you do those times they become the jumping off point now for future gains. It is a good thing to occasionally taper, go fast, feel what it is like to go fast, and reprogram your brain on how it feels so that you can now try and emulate it in workouts going forward. Especially in the strokes where you have a lot of low hanging fruit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I got news for you Dev, there is a thing in swimming called a taper. Having 3 days off is just going to mean that you will probably crush your old times you did when tired. And when you do those times they become the jumping off point now for future gains. It is a good thing to occasionally taper, go fast, feel what it is like to go fast, and reprogram your brain on how it feels so that you can now try and emulate it in workouts going forward. Especially in the strokes where you have a lot of low hanging fruit...

Hey, that almost feels like cheating!!!! Is this permitted on ST. I thought the rules around here is that we must be permanently overtrained! I guess technically after my 72 hour taper I would also be banned by USADA given that I'll have cortisone in my disc!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, wait until you shave your whole body Dev, you will jump in the water and probably drown because you cannot feel it!!!

Shave, taper, off the blocks, tech suits(although this one might be stretching it) are all legit. Just no drafting(yes no drafting in swimming too!!) and no toys, unless you just want to do a toy swim for shits and giggles..

I went today feeling shitty from yesterdays run and didn't expect much. But it grew on me as I eased into this workout:

4x500--swim@7;30(7;06)IM kick@10;00(9;28)pull@7;00(6;25)IM kick@10;00(9;19, new pr for the comeback)
5x100 breast@2;00 descend(1;36/35/33/32/30) another best set lately
200 dolphin kick(4;15)
6x25 fly hard/free easy @;30(15+'s for fly). 50 kick
2900SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my first day back in the pool and made it a long swim and refrainied from timing anything, just getting in tune with how my body feels after the cortisone injection. My core and lower back have always been very tight after this in previous shots, so did not want to do anything hard. Or maybe things felt easy cause I was tapered and my glycogen stores were topped up, but I was in the pool for 2 hours and had 3x400IM in there, 5x200IM. Some 50/50 fly free, a pile of kick work and a 200 Butterfly (I am trying to figure this one out, breathing every second stroke I can pull harder, but less oxygen, breathing every stroke, I have to use my core and legs more).

Kick work on my back was hard. For the first 2 weeks after the shot, I get calf cramps easily, so it was no surprise that I had a couple of killer cramps that left me on the verge of drowning when kicking on my back. In any case, good to be back in the pool.

Also good proof of glycogen stores being totally topped up after 72 hours of no exercise and mainly lying around or sitting. For 2 hours of swimming, I did not need any nutrition or anything to drink. Body was well replenished. Normally at the end of a 2 hour swim with no food or drink (the only reason why there is none is because an 80 min swim turned into a 120 min swim just cause I had time), I am dying to quickly get to calories and liquids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been in Mexico for the past 3 days. No lap pool here, but a big two-level terraced curved pool (infinity edge between the two with a ~ 3 foot drop). I've been doing my morning swims in the lower level, along the curved wall. Guestimating, based on stroke count, about a 40 meter length (pretty much double the stroke count I'd do for 25 yards). Did some sets of 80's and 120's, but didn't have any sort of watch to pace so I just swam to a perceived effort and counted breaths for a rest interval. Did one short open water swim in the Pacific in "red flag" conditions. Survived, but swallowed a fair bit of salt water, LOL!

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stole Mike Collins birthday set for this morning; 3000 yards
w/u: 300s/100k/100bk
4x75@1:15 (60%)
3x50@:50
6x25(1 breath)@:40
4x75@1:15 (70%)
3x50br@1:00
6x25br@:40
[remaining w/fins]
4x75@1:15 (80%)
3x50bk@1:00
6x25bk@:40
4x75@1:15 (90%)
3x50fl@1:00
6x25fl@:40
100 cool
It went great, a lot of fun, in fact.
Yesterday morning was spent in the cold ocean (51-53 degrees), and I was surprisingly comfortable. I bought a Huub demo wetsuit, Archimides 4:4, and hated it until I got the collar right. Not as warm as a DeSoto T1, but I'm starting to enjoy it. We got in 2236 yards. There were a few that did around 5000, with no wetsuit!
Saturday was the final WTRS (Winter Trail Race Series) run - a marathon on the rugged singletrack San Juan Trail. It wasn't quite a marathon at 25.2 miles. Plus, I missed a turn (not marked good enough for delirious minds at 19 miles), which turned out to be a shortcut by almost a mile, but some extra climbing missed, as well. When I realized I made the wrong turn, I was too far entrenched to turn back. Frustrated, I slowed down and did far more walking than I should have. I think the proper route and continued running, I would have been at least 10 minutes faster even though a mile longer. I got in 24.14 miles and 3593 feet of climbing in 5:28. A friend, who did it right got 25.03 and 3910 feet. I could have done a small loop to make it up, as I was feeling fairly good except for a hip flexor giving me fits, but I said screw it, I'm done. Turns out 8 of the 30 people running it made the same mistake. The GF did, too. She was about 10 minutes ahead of me, but being the honest person she is, she did an out-and-back to make up the mileage. We both got first in our divisions and we were in the elite club of 8 that did all 5 races - 12k, 18k, 21k, 30k & marathon.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will post times on the virtual meet thread and I did video it w gopro... not sure if it turned out well

Back to fishthread:
Main set this am:
8x 100 (scy) on 1:20
50 ez on 1min
two rounds

I held 108s-109s on 100s and chose to do the 50s in the middle, and end, as the virtual meet.
So 50 fly 30.15
50 back 34.26

dave
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also posted up some times on the swim meet thread, but this was my swim today, best in a long time;

4x(5x100's) swim@1;40(1;23 to 1;17) IM kick@2;00(1;53 to 1;46) pull@1;30(1;12/12/11/10/09) IM kick@2;00(1;56 to 1;48)

4x50@1;00/100 easy@2;30 fly (32) breast(39) back (39) free(31) 200 dolphin kick

6x25's@;30 fly/free(fly's 15+/16/15+) 50 kick

3000SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first swim since Friday

2.3 mi run
575 yd swim just to get in
3.5 mi run w/ 2 mi @ 8:34 pace

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
today's excuse for short workout: gave blood yesterday
4.2 mi run 37 and change
625 yd swim, primary goal to do some breaststroke and make my hips move in the lateral plane

100 swim
50 kick
150 swim
50 kick
275 swim

Month total is a whopping 13,950 yards. whoops.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 28, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
today's excuse for short workout: gave blood yesterday

The last time I gave blood, I went out on a bike ride the following day. On a hill climb, the horizon started tilting. I had to sit curbside for awhile, then limp back home.

Morning swim:
5x100 continuous as 100s/100k
800 IM kwf
200 pull
20x50@1:00 as 25 stroke/25 free IM order
300 pull
200 k/s cool

3000 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a great week of swimming for you!

I bet you get to swim outside too...?
ugh

daved
Quote Reply

Prev Next