Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fat Bikes
Quote | Reply
What are the thoughts here - good winter training and fun or a passing fad with time better served on the turbo trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [mex99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way, way cooler than a beach cruiser, but equally as utilitarian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one, rode it a couple times then sold it....save your money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... are extremely heavy & may not be any better in some snow & ice conditions regular MTB s with 2.5 inch studded tires ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably depends a lot on where you live. If your area doesn't have trails and winter for you doesn't include consistent snow then a fatty won't be as valuable. I'm in fat bike ground zero in Anchorage. For 10 years I used a Computrainer for nearly half the year unless there was little to no snow.

Since picking up a fat bike 3 years ago winter has become a lot more fun. We have a lot of multiuse trails which at times are hard enough for an MTB, but always accessible on the fat bike. Where the fat bike shines is single track winter trails. If you don't have access to winter single track then the fat bike may not provide a lot.

On the workout side of things the fat bike can provide very solid training efforts. They roll slow (I'm not tubeless or on lightweight rims). Depending on snow conditions, even a flat fat bike ride can feel like a time trial or ftp type workout. I'm sure it is subjective, but riding a fat bike on single track vs riding the trainer adds in bike handling and body English efforts that help your cycling. The Computrainer still gets plenty of use. The fat bike just breaks up the monotony.

Like any sport related purchase, the cost can build quickly. Bike ok. Now cycling boots, poagies, led lighting, clothing, studded tires, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the trainer 3-4x a week during winter but try to get out for 2-3 fat bike rides as well, I'd take the fat bike any day/night over the trainer! It's the most fun I've ever had on two wheels, we have a large group of riders though and we plan pretty good excursions during the winter, up to 50 miles loops on hiking trails/snowmobile trails etc and even a few night rides. I also ride my fat bike year round and am faster on that on many of the trails here than on either of my full-suspension bikes which are now up for sale.

There is no way a normal mountain bike with studs can keep up with a fat bike, fatties have a huge ground contact patch and at 2-3 pis hey are super grippy. They are also not heavy, mine fully decked out is sub 30 pounds and that's with a suspension fork and dropper post. A friend has one weighing 22 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one, love it. It has gotten me out on the bike in the winter and it is just a fun blast to ride. People say you don't' need one and that a normal mountain bike can do the same thing , i'm here to tell you that is not really true, yes some conditions it can happen but fat bikes do much better in the substantial snow then a regular studded mountain bike.
I am doing a 200K fat bike race in Dec and a couple other races throughout the winter that should be a blast and this is off season training i would have never have done without a fat bike.
A lot of people just hate change and something different (happened when 29ers came out too) and will hate on it for no other reason. The bike is just fun!!! If you like to have fun then go for a fat bike ride.
I have won reg mountain bike races on mine as well but no, it is not faster then a reg mtb overall during the mountain bike season. also another note, it is not a magic machine that can burrow through feet of snow, fat-bikes need some what packed conditions in deeper snow. If you live in an area where you get a lot of snow I would highly recommend one. See if there are other fat bike riders in your area get out of the house and go have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and really like it. It's different than any other bike...duh. Point being don't expect the same, but it still gets me outside and on the bike. Mostly I can bundle up, work harder, go slower, get a good workout, stay warm, and have fun. For me, cycling is my number one passion, well worth every cent!
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [ironmanjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanjp wrote:
I ride the trainer 3-4x a week during winter but try to get out for 2-3 fat bike rides as well, I'd take the fat bike any day/night over the trainer! It's the most fun I've ever had on two wheels, we have a large group of riders though and we plan pretty good excursions during the winter, up to 50 miles loops on hiking trails/snowmobile trails etc and even a few night rides. I also ride my fat bike year round and am faster on that on many of the trails here than on either of my full-suspension bikes which are now up for sale.

There is no way a normal mountain bike with studs can keep up with a fat bike, fatties have a huge ground contact patch and at 2-3 pis hey are super grippy. They are also not heavy, mine fully decked out is sub 30 pounds and that's with a suspension fork and dropper post. A friend has one weighing 22 pounds.

Living in the middle of the mountains....fat bikes are way slower. So slow that they won't let you line up at the snow races with a reg MTB. Fun maybe, but faster no way. Then again it is a good reason to buy another bike :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the terrain. Many of the trails I ride are rocky, rooty, wet and loose and the increased traction and grip on the fat bike is a definite advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments - I'm in upstate NY, bottom of the Adirondacks so can count on 4 months of snow on the ground. I did a ride on my 29er MTB this morning in 2 inches of snow and it was fun, as the snow builds there will be lots of opportunity to ride - there are trials and I know enough people who ride them.

The fun factor is important and anything that gets me off the trainer is good - I actually think I've become a bit lazy on the trainer and suffered a bit on the bike at IM distance this year so maybe this will make a difference.

Not too worried about the money - where should i spend $2k and what should I look for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took one out for a ride last winter at a Nordic center. It was a blast. Demo one if you can. I'm not sure it's a perfect replacement for trainer workouts but it'll be a fun way to supplement training.

I missed out on a recent order on Bikes Direct to get a 17" Boris X7 but will be pulling the trigger as soon as there are more in stock.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Summit- I am headed to Anchorage next week for a day or so (read I have approx 1 afternoon of playtime) and don't want to run again this time. Thinking MTB rental or maybe fatbike depending on weather conditions April11. What do you suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most years you would be good to go for fatbike riding in early April on the lower hillside of our Chugach Mountains front range, but we've had a terrible snow year. The last few weeks have allowed road biking here! I just got back from Hawaii today so I haven't checked out he trails recently, but I've seen conditions reports that most snow is gone and the trails with sun exposure are soft.

You should probably plan for the mtb if trails allow or consider a road bike and riding some of the paved greenbelt trails in town - coastal trail is a scenic option. Or Indian to Bird Point south of Anchorage. Some of these may still have ice where shaded. I'll ask around and post back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Trek Farley 6 this past winter and it has really helped me get good workouts and more miles outside. I just can't seem to enjoy riding the trainer much inside but now I want to ride every chance I get outside. You do however have to justify the costs because they can get expensive with all the extras you end up purchasing if you're not used to riding in 30 degree weather.

2011 Fuji D6 3.0
2012 Specialized Allez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In past winters, I've found I don't have the motivation to spend long enough cycling indoors.

I bought a fatbike this winter, it's been the best thing ever. There is a fantastic network of multi-use, groomed XC ski and snowshoe trails right out my doorstep. Riding on open, hilly XC ski trails feels like road biking (high cadence, but overall much slower speed), and the snowshoe trails are surprisingly fun as well.

I've logged more hours in the saddle in the winter than ever before: an hour or 2 looping trails on the fatbike is hard, sweaty work but just feels like fun, not torture.

If you have the right kind of snow-covered and packed trails, I'd say it's amazing winter training. Just be prepared to work crazy-hard to cover pitifully small distances.
Last edited by: Mell: Apr 7, 15 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:
In past winters, I've found I don't have the motivation to spend long enough cycling indoors.

I bought a fatbike this winter, it's been the best thing ever. There is a fantastic network of multi-use, groomed XC ski and snowshoe trails right out my doorstep. Riding on open, hilly XC ski trails feels like road biking (high cadence, but overall much slower speed), and the snowshoe trails are surprisingly fun as well.

I've logged more hours in the saddle in the winter than ever before: an hour or 2 looping trails on the fatbike is hard, sweaty work but just feels like fun, not torture.

If you have the right kind of snow-covered and packed trails, I'd say it's amazing winter training. Just be prepared to work crazy-hard to cover pitifully small distances.

Fat bikes are a blast, but careful with the groomed XC ski trail use-- you might get a ski pole jammed through your spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one for about three months then sold it. Personally I found it more hype than fun. I already have a 29er which was just fine on the roads during the winter. A fat bike still needs groomed trails. It's certainly not going to blaze a trail. Some people love it, just wasn't something I cared about. I also don't really have an interest in riding in 5 degree weather. Sold it for more than I paid for it so that's nice.

Quote | Reply
They roll a lot better than most people realize. I have had mine for 6 weeks now and been riding it on the local trails of Marin much more than my 29er FS race bike.
Have passed plenty of MTB's and even Gravel Bikes. Downhill, cornering on fast fire roads or supper steep single track is a blast. Last week I caught up to 3 Epic S-works and an OPEN, dropped all of them on a long climb; best feeling ever, should have seen their faces. I only regret not getting the front suspension from the get go.
Just added the Bluto and its a game changer for year round trail riding.
In a County where most people's bikes cost more than there 2nd Homes, my "Cheap" Fatboy has gotten me more attention than any high end bike would ever get around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Fat bikes are a blast, but careful with the groomed XC ski trail use-- you might get a ski pole jammed through your spokes.

Definitely! We are lucky here, certain XC ski trails are mixed use during the day and in the evenings it's fully open to fatbikes. The XC skiers have been friendly and I've been doing my best to be polite & friendly to keep the good relations going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. Any suggestions on who to contact for rental of either road or MTB? I'm game for either and want to try and make arrangements before I get there so I know which gear to bring- road or MTB? I googled a few shops but a local's suggestion of in town shops beats google!

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are also not heavy, mine fully decked out is sub 30 pounds and that's with a suspension fork and dropper post. A friend has one weighing 22 pounds.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/...at-bike-18-7-pounds/

Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They roll a lot better than most people realize. I have had mine for 6 weeks now and been riding it on the local trails of Marin much more than my 29er FS race bike.

I've never ridden one, but the complaint is usually about rolling resistance, and that is something fixable. I think they might make a decent general use off road bike, if they are fitted with good tires, and also tubeless or latex tubed. The fat tires should have low rolling resistance off-road. It would also be good to reduce the rim/tire/tube weight for handling, but they will always be heavy compared to good MTB options.

Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I've never ridden one, but the complaint is usually about rolling resistance, and that is something fixable. I think they might make a decent general use off road bike, if they are fitted with good tires, and also tubeless or latex tubed. The fat tires should have low rolling resistance off-road. It would also be good to reduce the rim/tire/tube weight for handling, but they will always be heavy compared to good MTB options.

I agree, although I think to turn a Fatbike into an allround MTB the most important addition has to be Front suspension.
Interesting discussion on the MTBR Fatbike forum right now. Guys are having a hard time going back to their 29ers after riding Fatbikes for a while
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bikes [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think to turn a Fatbike into an allround MTB the most important addition has to be Front suspension.

I'm anti suspension, which is one reason a Fatbike looks interesting to me. Should be a lot nicer than my unsuspended MTB with 2.4" tires.

Quote Reply

Prev Next