Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials
Quote | Reply
I'm not a triathlete, but a road racer specializing in time trials. My racing team is looking at buying skinsuits as part of a team order. Our main sponsor is Castelli. We may or not not be able to buy their Speedsuit with our team logo. But we're looking at other options too. I hear Champion Systems has a nice skinsuit. But I'm having a hard time finding aero comparisons for different skinsuits. Without spending and arm and a leg for a custom skinsuit (and one that can't be printed with our team design), who makes the fastest and most aero skinsuit?

Thanks.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the UK time trialing forums, it looks like the Castelli BP 3.0 suit is one of the best, Nopinz is popular, that said without testing, and proper suit fitting you'll never know for sure. If you do a team order, can I get in on the order :)?

wacomme wrote:
I'm not a triathlete, but a road racer specializing in time trials. My racing team is looking at buying skinsuits as part of a team order. Our main sponsor is Castelli. We may or not not be able to buy their Speedsuit with our team logo. But we're looking at other options too. I hear Champion Systems has a nice skinsuit. But I'm having a hard time finding aero comparisons for different skinsuits. Without spending and arm and a leg for a custom skinsuit (and one that can't be printed with our team design), who makes the fastest and most aero skinsuit?

Thanks.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note on Champion Systems - Be sure to scrutinize the sizing and fit of each model skinsuit. The lower-mid-priced suits may not fit as snugly/aero as desired. This is especially important with 'team' orders, as some will want to save $$$, and then be disappointed with the sub-par fit of their choice. We dealt with this issue, alteration improved and fine-tuned the fit, but was time-consuming and a bit of hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Check out the UK time trialing forums, it looks like the Castelli BP 3.0 suit is one of the best, Nopinz is popular, that said without testing, and proper suit fitting you'll never know for sure. If you do a team order, can I get in on the order :)?

Perhaps, but it would be with our COS Racing team graphics.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Note on Champion Systems - Be sure to scrutinize the sizing and fit of each model skinsuit. The lower-mid-priced suits may not fit as snugly/aero as desired. This is especially important with 'team' orders, as some will want to save $$$, and then be disappointed with the sub-par fit of their choice. We dealt with this issue, alteration improved and fine-tuned the fit, but was time-consuming and a bit of hassle.

If we go Champion Systems, the suit would be the CU Carbon Rear Zip suit. And for Castelli, the only suit we'd want would be their Speedsuit (3 or newer).

Is there any data on which suit is faster, or other suits to choose from? This assumes a good "fit" can be made with a given suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having spent a lot of time in the velodrome and windtunnel testing numerous suit on numerous people, I've yet to see the suit to end the debate which is the fastest.

I'll give you an example. We spent a few hours testing clothing in the tunnel yesterday. We were shocked on a few pieces that did really well or really not so well when by all accounts we thought the results would be 180 degree from what we saw. We also saw huge differences between 2 almost identical pieces. It's amazing what some small tweaks in construction/design can make.

Go with the best fit around the shoulders, that's the best advice I can give you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Having spent a lot of time in the velodrome and windtunnel testing numerous suit on numerous people, I've yet to see the suit to end the debate which is the fastest.

I'll give you an example. We spent a few hours testing clothing in the tunnel yesterday. We were shocked on a few pieces that did really well or really not so well when by all accounts we thought the results would be 180 degree from what we saw. We also saw huge differences between 2 almost identical pieces. It's amazing what some small tweaks in construction/design can make.

Go with the best fit around the shoulders, that's the best advice I can give you.

Interesting. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I can tell, Castelli BP3 and Bioracer seem to be the two that are most consistently best right now. (There may be others too -- I don't know the champion systems suit very well.) Bioracer has several versions of their suit, at different price points. A lot of the pros are wearing Bioracer suits right now. The Nopinz suit is an off the shelf Bioracer suit with a Nopinz number window sewn on. The main difference between these suits and prior suits (e.g. BP2) is the rough fabric on the upper arms and back, which trips the airflow so it becomes turbulent at that point, which keeps it attached longer. It doesn't help for everyone, but helps for a lot of people and can sometimes make a pretty big difference.
Last edited by: lanierb: Oct 6, 15 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a suit from Mt. Borah. It's got the textured fabric / etc. Since it's a team suit we were able to use a sizing kit. This was pretty important IMO. The fit of this suit is fantastic. It seems tight where it needs to be and gives you a bit of breathing room where needed.

I also use the PI Octane for Tri and the Borah skin suit seems to be a better fitting suit for TT....which it probably should be. That said the PI could be faster as I have not done any formal testing. I can say with confidence the speed difference is small.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Castelli lets you use the BP3, you might as well go with that. There isn't anything consistently better.

It does appear from what I've read that it is very individual though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The secret is to order your time trial skinsuit in a size smaller that you think you can fit into. You want the thing to be tight so it doesn't wrinkle up when you wear it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
If Castelli lets you use the BP3, you might as well go with that. There isn't anything consistently better.

It does appear from what I've read that it is very individual though.

We'll check to see if our team design can fit on the BP3.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
From what I can tell, Castelli BP3 and Bioracer seem to be the two that are most consistently best right now. (There may be others too -- I don't know the champion systems suit very well.) Bioracer has several versions of their suit, at different price points. A lot of the pros are wearing Bioracer suits right now. The Nopinz suit is an off the shelf Bioracer suit with a Nopinz number window sewn on. The main difference between these suits and prior suits (e.g. BP2) is the rough fabric on the upper arms and back, which trips the airflow so it becomes turbulent at that point, which keeps it attached longer. It doesn't help for everyone, but helps for a lot of people and can sometimes make a pretty big difference.

Yes. I've been reading a about the Nopinz Bioracer skinsuit. Even though they're across the pond, this might be an option if they can be ordered with our team design.

Current options:

1) Castelli Bodypaint 3 Speedsuit
2) Champion Systems - the carbon one with back zip
3) Nopinz - the Bioracer version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
We'll check to see if our team design can fit on the BP3.

Officially, Castelli doesn't do the BP3 as part of its custom team offerings.

Unofficially, yes. It's kinda an off-the-menu item.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Oct 6, 15 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cycling team is also Castelli sponsored. Unfortunately we don't/can't(?) get the BP logo'd, just a generic "speedsuit". Myself and a few others who really drive into the marginal gains just wear the BP 3.0 anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
My cycling team is also Castelli sponsored. Unfortunately we don't/can't(?) get the BP logo'd, just a generic "speedsuit". Myself and a few others who really drive into the marginal gains just wear the BP 3.0 anyways.

I was afraid this might be the case.

I own a BP3 suit, but now that I belong to a new team, we, as a team, are trying to find a sufficiently aero skinsuit; since most of my races are TT's, it would be nice to wear a team kit at races. So, maybe Champion Systems or Nopinz.

I've heard the generic Castelli speedsuit (the one that can be logo'd) is terrible.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From memory I believe it was about 5-10w (n=1) jumping from generic Castelli speedsuit to BP 3.0.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Bioracer will make you suits. It's a bit expensive but not totally ridiculous. There's a 5 suit minimum and $150 design fee, then depending on the suit I think it's something like $200-300 per suit. They have a US distributor at http://www.belgiumbike.com. (I'm not affiliated but I looked into this last summer.)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
I'm pretty sure Bioracer will make you suits. It's a bit expensive but not totally ridiculous. There's a 5 suit minimum and $150 design fee, then depending on the suit I think it's something like $200-300 per suit. They have a US distributor at http://www.belgiumbike.com. (I'm not affiliated but I looked into this last summer.)

Thanks I made an inquiry.

Which Bioracer suit is Belgium Bike offering? OR does Bioracer make only one skinsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
Which Bioracer suit is Belgium Bike offering? OR does Bioracer make only one skinsuit?
Pretty sure they offer all of them, including custom options. That's why the price can vary a lot. Bioracer has a few "off the shelf" models, and lots of custom options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Yes. I've been reading a about the Nopinz Bioracer skinsuit. Even though they're across the pond, this might be an option if they can be ordered with our team design.

Current options:

1) Castelli Bodypaint 3 Speedsuit
2) Champion Systems - the carbon one with back zip
3) Nopinz - the Bioracer version.

Pearl Izumi and Champion are the only companies that I know of that do custom sublimation on decent speedsuits. I think Pearl charges 500$ for each and I am unaware of any data showing how good they are. A couple of years ago the custom speedsuits were about 200$. The buyout of pearl by Shimano ruined a good company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lanier hit it on the head. BP3 or Bioracer are you best bets if you can't test. Even the off-the-shelf Bioracer stuff is very good.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Skinsuits for Time Trials [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Lanier hit it on the head. BP3 or Bioracer are you best bets if you can't test. Even the off-the-shelf Bioracer stuff is very good.

How does Champion System Carbon compare?
Quote Reply

Prev Next