Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Faris announces retirement....
Quote | Reply
Saw that Faris announced his retirement today. A long and cool career.....thanks for the fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Faris announces retirement.... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the chance to discuss his great career, contributions, retirement and other challenges in life with Faris in Woodlands post race at the event hotel lobby. He seems very much at peace with his next steps. That Kona win in 2005 was beyond epic. We need more Faris types in the sport complete with the Bavaria flag and associated post race celebration!

although I always felt if we took all the intelligence on ST and cleaned up his fit and set up, what could be achieved!!! How many minutes could Jackmott save from this set up:

But you have to admit, this really is beyond badass....

Quote Reply
Re: Faris announces retirement.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sic transit gloria Speedos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has always been my favorite pro. I even went as Faris for Halloween a few years ago (got some looks walking around downtown in a speedo, half shirt, and racing flats). I wish him well in retirement and look forward to what he does next.

Quote | Reply
[edited for lack of humor]
Last edited by: dsmallwood: May 22, 15 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he comes out with a book detailing his career. As long has he has been in the mix he should has some great narrative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the pool of Ironman Triathletes just got a little uglier.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the chance to meet him few month after his 2005 win and shared a swim session with him (OK, I brought him to the pool and managed to get him a lane for himself, I was 2 times slower in the next lane ;) . He is one of those natural person, no BS, says and do what he thinks. Wish him best for his future career. Maybe the last Speedo Kona winner ever?

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Faris announces retirement.... [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the same hotel as him in 2012 for the 70.3 WC in Vegas. Chatted briefly - seemed very nice. I was actually surprised by how small he was to be able to have such strong bike times. He'll definitely be missed - at least there are a few other pros who rock the speedo look, but I haven't seen anyone else put a bottle back there!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Faris announces retirement.... [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j-hud wrote:
He has always been my favorite pro.......

x2.

I thought it was cool a few years ago when he finished fifth (I think) at Kona. It may have been the year Pete Jacobs won. In his post race interview, he said basically, "The best guy won today. Am I disappointed? Yes. But that is all I had today. I tried, but I couldn't give any more."

Don't know why, but I just thought it was pretty cool.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Saw that Faris announced his retirement today. A long and cool career.....thanks for the fun.

Sat with Faris at dinner at the awards banquet in Kona at 2013 and had a good chat. I remember asking him about his trajectory and he said he felt like he peaked after the 2005 win. Still very young and I wish him his best on his next endeavor.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Faris announces retirement.... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, still very young to start a new life/career 2.0 and enjoy time with his 1 year old!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

I think I might have to bump this thread every day for a year. People on ST would care more about the P5 being retired than the most consistent male Kona top 10 finisher of all time (with 10 or more finishes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I think I might have to bump this thread every day for a year. People on ST would care more about the P5 being retired than the most consistent male Kona top 10 finisher of all time (with 10 or more finishes).

I met him during IM Frankfurt in 2012, when I was Iron-sherpa'ing for my mum and he was fulfilling some sponsor duties. So friendly, humble and approachable. In a t-shirt, he looks more like a music student than a badass triathlete. Walked away with a beer in my belly and a set of his own Team Abu Dhabi jersey & bib, to date my most cherished kit.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMmoo in a speedo and mankini inspired by him, even rocked the water bottle in the speedo on the bike. The man is a legend.
My favorite quote of his, when he was asked about a bad race he had, he basically said that even though it wasn't what he hoped for, he finished and got the t-shirt, so that was cool. I try to always remember that when I'm having a bad race.

I wish him the best in his future, and has he said on the TRS live show, he married a rich wife, so he's going to have a good retirement!
Quote Reply