Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fancy Garmin Watch users
Quote | Reply
Have you stopped using a bike computer?
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. The bike computer's bigger screen is way easier to see on a ride, and it is easier to operate. And, most bike computers do mapping for when you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used a bike computer since getting the Forerunner 305 in about 2009 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no- any serious cyclist will still use a bike computer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't used a computer forever. I just use my watch now, most of them do everything you need and more. I use the Garmin vivoactive for short rides, pool swims, and running. I use a 910xt for long rides, open water, and racing. Eventually I'll either get something like the fenix or latest 900 series that will replace both. But these will more than do for now.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
no- any serious cyclist will still use a bike computer

Always knew I wasn't a serious cyclist! But then I'm more of a triathlete. which is why I've only used Garmin watches since the 305 too. Now on the 935, but missing the 920.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the garmin F3 for everything. It records and auto-uploads, super easy to use. But I still have a garmin on my stem to look at while riding. It keeps my eyes closer to the road than looking at my wrist

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I use the 510 in conjunction with the 935. 935 broadcasts HR to 510. 510 is easier to view my power and HR at a glance. I'd ditch the 935 before I'd ditch the 510 (on the bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
920 with its square form factor makes a pretty decent bike computer, though being limited to four data fields at a time is a tad annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:

Nope, the watch is just a pain to read on the wrist when riding and I got no space to mount it.
Plus I hate bulky watches.

So I got a sleek running watch and a sleek bike computer...both talk ANT to an external HR monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike computers are for riding a bikes. The watch is for swimming and running.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really! Maybe you need to tell Garmin that. Some of us don't have the money to spare for multiple devices. A Garmin watch mounted on a quick release on the stem has been more than enough for my needs for a number of years. The forerunner series of Multisport watches - 305, 310XT, 910XT, 920XT and now the 935 are suitable for swimming, cycling and running - plus a plethora of other sports too.

Of course it's entirely up to you whether or not you decide to have a separate bike computer. But that's not to say the watch is only for swimming and running.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even for Tris... my 820 is on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 810 just quit. Thinking of quitting garmin, it's so frustrating

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
DBF wrote:

Nope, the watch is just a pain to read on the wrist when riding and I got no space to mount it.
^^^^^This^^^^^

Love my Vivoactive HR and I chart rides with it but I like to look down at my cycling computer for speed and distance info.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Sep 16, 17 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Garmin quick release kit I use my 310XT as a bike computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a skinny wrist and the Vivoactive HR stuck out past my wrist creating a hotspot on my wrist. Now pretty satisfied with the Garmin Forerunner 235.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just the garmin. Thinking about getting and Elemnt or 1030 though.

Really, I just don't know why an app maker hasn't copied what the Elemnt or 1030 does as an app since we all have phones anyway. I don't mount my phone on a bike, but I would mount an iPhone 3, 4, 5, 5s, 6, 6s, or 7 that I have sitting in a desk drawer. Sure not as small or aero but then it would be running an app that costs dollars instead of hundreds of dollars.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just conjecture, but I don't think most people have old iPhones laying around. Anytime I've upgraded my phone I've sold the old one. And no Ant+, and if you're going to start buying ANT+ dongles and waterproof cases...

To the OP - I started out with just the watch (Fenix 2 then the 920XT). While I like the 920XT, I did end up getting the BOLT to make viewing easier, and eliminate the need the move the watch around. Its one more thing to think about in the mind-fog of a race, and per advice I got here on ST - I gave up wearing it on the swim - I wasn't looking at it anyway. And the quick connect made a big watch even bigger.

Now I swim with nothing - use the bolt on the bike - and the 920 on the run. At the end of the day its what ever you like; different strokes for different folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people probably don't. I know a lot of people in Silicon Valley that do though.I have every iPhone I've ever bought. The money you get from selling one is less than a nice dinner and the data I've pulled from an old one when I needed it was with keeping them. You can also buy an old iPhone pretty cheap. Or just use the one you have, except the newest ones are going to be the price of a laptop.

Why ANT+ when my power meter, cadence, etc is all Bluetooth smart.

Really, I just want something that displays only power while I ride. Maybe maps and directions when I am on a route that' new or in a new place when traveling. My fenix5 isn't great for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had started out with 'computers' using a 910XT back a few years ago. When I started training with power meters several years later, I soon realized I wanted a dedicated cycling computer. The larger screen, with more data fields, just makes it so much more bearable. I'm using a 935 now, but still use my Edge 520 for any ride outside of commutes (which I time mainly for fun).

The last perk, that is actually kinda big for me, is using the Edge to control my smart trainer (Ant+ FE-C). When using the traininpeaks connect IQ app (which my coach uses to build workouts), it just works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
920 with its square form factor makes a pretty decent bike computer, though being limited to four data fields at a time is a tad annoying.

Download "OneField" and you can get 5 fields on 1 screen. I have HR, Speed, RPM, Time and Distance on 1 screen

Ryne "TheMohawk" Hoover
Founder and CEO of The Mohawk Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity
Raising funds for breast cancer and ALS research through endurance sports
Sponsored by: Rudy Project, INFINIT Nutrition, Brooks Running, MyBikeShop.com, TriTats, TriDot, T-Blocks, Wicked Audio, Zealios and Zone3. WE NOW SELL AIR RELAX! MESSAGE ME FOR YOUR BEST PRICE!
RyneHoover@TheMohawkFoundation.org
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [TheMohawk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheMohawk wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Download "OneField" and you can get 5 fields on 1 screen. I have HR, Speed, RPM, Time and Distance on 1 screen

Thanks! Looks like this is "One Field" (https://apps.garmin.com/...-9a8a-8bb32bd391a3#0)? If so, odd that it doesn't seem to include power fields. My preferred five fields would be time, distance, speed, heart rate, and power (either 3 or 10-second average).
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Garmin Watch users [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
TheMohawk wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Download "OneField" and you can get 5 fields on 1 screen. I have HR, Speed, RPM, Time and Di-stance on 1 screen

Thanks! Looks like this is "One Field" (https://apps.garmin.com/...-9a8a-8bb32bd391a3#0)? If so, odd that it doesn't seem to include power fields. My preferred five fields would be time, distance, speed, heart rate, and power (either 3 or 10-second average).

https://apps.garmin.com/...19-a97d-1079b931dc3d
That's the one I use, works for bike and run

Ryne "TheMohawk" Hoover
Founder and CEO of The Mohawk Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity
Raising funds for breast cancer and ALS research through endurance sports
Sponsored by: Rudy Project, INFINIT Nutrition, Brooks Running, MyBikeShop.com, TriTats, TriDot, T-Blocks, Wicked Audio, Zealios and Zone3. WE NOW SELL AIR RELAX! MESSAGE ME FOR YOUR BEST PRICE!
RyneHoover@TheMohawkFoundation.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next