Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fancy Fabrics, Accellerade slushies, and cold-weather
Quote | Reply
OK, how about a real cold-weather riding discussion? (Please note: I'm not beating my chest here, I have some suggestions for others, and questions as well):

Saturday a.m. it was 18-degrees and I had a 1500y swim, 40-mile bike, 10-mile run scheduled with a friend at 7am. Did I freeze? No, but our water bottles did. All workouts were aimed at Zone 1/2. Aero position on bike. Plenty of time from swim-to-bike so we can dry off completely.

The key to everything was Onions and Ogres. Layers.

Here's what worked for the ride for me (approx: 18-degree start temp, 25-degree finish temp):
BIKE:
Head: Balaclavalalala, helmet, biking glasses. That's it. I'd considered ski goggles, but that put me too far over the dork-o-meter.
Body: Dri-fit longsleeve shirt (high-tech fabrics don't freeze to my stomach, wife-beaters do), long-sleeve fleece pullover, bike jersey over the fleece (to hold gel, phone, food), then a light windproof shell. Tuck that fleece down low to protect your daddy parts.
Hands: Ski Gloves. Nothing fancy. I don't know the thermablah fabric. I just know they're thick, blue, and can wipe a tremendous amount of snot off my face.
Legs: Bike shorts underneath somewhat thick-spandex-type running pants.
Feet: one-pair socks (regular shin-high coolmax), bike shoes, Performance neoprene booties.

I see why people are afraid of this. For the first ten miles, my head and bridge of my nose were cold as hell, but beyond that, it wasn't a problem. My feet got a tad bit numb at the end, but they were fine (move your toes around every 15 minutes or so to get the blood flowing). The key to my feet were those neoprene booties. It was my first ride in these... all prior rides I'd done in sub-30-degree temp left my feet in horrible shape and warming them up post-ride was extremely painful (I'd wear 3 layers of socks and electrical tape over all the shoe vents). Booties make ALL the difference. Get them from Performance, they're cheap and work like a champ. Fingers got a bit cold, but I could pull my fingers in and make a fist to warm them up. My head was surprisingly warm for most of the ride.

Also on the bike: I used the same Kenda tires that came with my P2k. They've got 1500 miles on them and worn tread on the rear tire. No problems, but I chose fairly clean roads. (I drove it the day before to make sure most of the snow and ice had been cleared... we had to do out-and-backs, but it's safer that way).

My friend wore the same save the fleece and he wore thinner gloves. He somehow generates a lot of heat or something. I call him a monster when he's not around. He also had a problem at the bridge of his nose, but it was short lived.

After the bike, quick change into:
Body: same clothes minus bike jersey--drifit, fleece, shell
Legs: running shorts & stretchy, thin, somewhat loose running pants (Nike makes 'em).
Hands: Thin DriLine glove liners. Hands were hot after 2 miles.
Head: one of those wrap-around-your-head ear warmer things that Dan so successfully modeled for us.
Feet: Same socks, different shoes

Run temp was probably high-20's finishing in the low-30's (snow was melting on the roads).

Result: I was sweating. Get a fleece and shell with a zip-down so you can cool off. Miles 5-10 get awfully warm. Be sure to wear stuff that's easy to take off for a short period of time to cool off.

PROBLEMS WITH THIS: Overall, no real problems except that water freezes. I'd had this problem before, but not so severely. We had slushies by mile 20 and had to stop and scoop slush/ice out of the bottle by mile 30. Water was all but frozen and useless, but Gatorade and Accellerade and their high-tech molecular structure (sugar) can handle the cold a bit better and turn to slush instead of a block of ice. Does anyone have suggestions for this besides the Camelbak? Bottle cozies? Antifreeze? Uranium?

Also, any other suggestions for the bridge of your nose or top of your head? ANyone tried those helmet-cover things that supposedly keep your head warmer? It wasn't a major problem, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried those first few icy miles. After that, I was fine.

-G-g-g-gi-i-illlll
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Fabrics, Accellerade slushies, and cold-weather [Gill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, three words: Compu-Trainer; Treadmill.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Fabrics, Accellerade slushies, and cold-weather [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dood, LOL.

PS: that's two words. Or four if you want to count tread-mill ;-)

Computrainer went back to its original owner on Friday (borrowed it for two... er... six weeks).

This sounds idiotic, but 10 miles on a treadmill is brutal! No way!

-Gill
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Fabrics, Accellerade slushies, and cold-weather [Gill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I must admit, I'm just getting off a cold and I AM a bit of a wimp now, so perhaps I am envious. Just a little.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, i agree, the treadmill sucks, but i use it. I think any serious athlete with common sense would use one in the winter. no offense, don't take that as a dig, but man, i just think thats a fast way to get sick or tear a muscle.
Quote Reply
Re: Fancy Fabrics, Accellerade slushies, and cold-weather [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, one word: move!
Quote Reply
Re: insulated bottles! [Gill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have insulated water bottles that'll keep even the water from freezing.
Quote Reply
Top of head and ice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Pearl Izumi hat that fits under my helmet to keep the top of my head and ears warm. This helps a lot, I can't wear it if is about 40 or above because I will be to hot. I got it from performance for under $20. I don't think that you can do much about the bridge of your nose except wear ski goggles.

I think that the Polar water bottles may stop your water from freezing, but I don't ride on the road much when it is below 30, I stick to the MTB in the real cold b/c the trees sure cut down on the wind chill and the Camelback takes care of the freezing problem.
A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reading this made me realize why I live in California [Bay Area]. it rarely drops below 50 during the day and the water in the ocean and lakes are swimable even in Jan [50-51 degree water at Lake Del Valle this weekend]

18 degrees I'd be in the gym brrr

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest problem with riding at this time of year (other than freezing your face, hands, feet and daddy parts) is the time spent after the ride doing bike maintenance. How long did you have to work on your bike after the ride to ensure all the salt/sand/slush etc. was gone?

As I've mentionend in other posts... I'll run when it's -40 celsius outside and snowing like crazy but I'm a wimp when it comes to getting all suited up and riding. In fact, in about 40 minutes I'm going to pop on a pair of cycling shorts and ride for an hour and a half on my rollers while watching "The Princess Bride" with my 7 year old :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with Tom on this one C-trainer/treadmill. I don't go out in the cold much any more. Too many frostbite and near frostbite episodes from alpine ski racing in my youth. My knees like the treadmill too. I programmed lots of music to run/bike crank up the big fans and have a ball.

One thing I've tried for cold toes when biking is Grabber Mycoal Toe Warmers. I use these just to go outside in the winter so my toes don't turn white. Just peel off the backing and stick them to your socks. Works great!

http://www.grabberwarmers.com

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winter training can be rough. For instance, out here where I live, I ALMOST had to wear a wind shell this weekend, and had to keep arm warmers on all day. Last week I had to ride the trainer because it rained on the weekend (luckily that stopped before Sunday so I could run outside). And don't even get me going about swimming in the cold! It was so cold at the pool last week I had to wear a t-shirt all the way to the pool edge to avoid freezing! Someone really has to do something about these NorCal winters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to apply a thin layer of vaseline or lip balm to my nose, check bones, and forehead. It reduces the risk of frost bite and may keep you a little warmer. I do use a Pearl Izumi helmet cover, which makes a big difference.

You can buy bottle insulators but they won't fit in your cages. You'll need to pocket them. A Camelbak may be more convenient, or just toss a couple Fuel Belt bottles in your pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rip a sheet of saran wrap, you know, the kitchen stuff that wraparound your left over food. Tear a piece about the size of your foot, then wrap it around your toes and feet. Wear a regular pair of cycling sock, the saran wrap will act as a barrier to wind..your feet will sweat. I wear a pair of neoprene toe warmers then I put a pair of neoprene booties on over the toe warmers. My feet haven't been cold in years.

I have a tight fitting fleece skull cap, that I got at a snowboard store, this is snug and my helmet easily fits over it, you'll have to loosen your chin strap just a bit, this works super.

Use those POLAR bottles, keeps stuff warm as well as cold, water won't freeze in them, though it may freeze around the opening.

I wear some of the big thick Pearl Izumi gloves. I also agree with the vaseline and lip balm over all exposed areas of the face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Camelbak. The same technology that keeps your water cold (coolish?) in the summer heat, can also prevent it from freezing in the winter. They even sell little sleves for the main tube to prevent it from freezing, but my solution was to blow air back into the bladder after drinking - emptying the tube of liquid entirely.

Sticking the camelback under a few layers might help too...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply