Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes)
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

I am looking to purchase a bike carrier to help make getting to the trail more efficient.

Current scenario: 2 Adult Bikes + 2 Kid Bikes + Burley Pull Behind ... Near future will be 5 bikes rather than the Burley.

I'm not in the market for a truck or different vehicle so am looking for a way to transport 5 bikes. I know this would likely require getting a hitch installed which would be just fine.

For those of you who have dealt with this as well...What model of bike carrier would you recommend and why?

Thanks again!

Just a Dad trying to promote that active lifestyle!
Quote Reply
Re: Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes) [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to what is out there: https://www.etrailer.com/...acks-pt-5_Bikes.aspx

Anyone have input on brand and quality?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the one's that are listed in that etrailers link require a 2" hitch. You don't mention what type of vehicle you have, but it's possible that the hitch that works for you car is only 1 1/4" (like the one for my GTI). You might be looking at a truck mounted one for 2 or 3 bikes (i love our saris bones RS) and then a roof rack for the others.
Quote Reply
Re: Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can also recommend a mix of a hitch mounted rack for 2-4 bikes and then roof mounted racks for 2-3 bikes.
By the time you get to 5 bikes hanging off the back of your vehicle you just have a lot of length and weight hanging out there at the back. It is pretty easy to load the bikes up top (and I have a suburban and can still easily get my kids mountain bikes up there).

You'll have seen all the recommendations for racks in other threads (if not run a search)
fwiw I have a Kuat hitch rack and then two Yakima roof-top racks - if I need more space I'll have to get a trailer!
Quote Reply
Re: Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes) [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, more then likely this will require a hitch plus a roof rack.
For the hitch, check out the Swagman Semi 4.0, it's a 2 bike rack that has an additional 2 attachment.
I have the 2 bike version, and it's great, very easy to use with bikes of various wheel bases etc.. and comes with a locking hitch pin and bike locks.
http://www.swagman.net/...uct/semi-4-0-2-bike/

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can totally do this with just a roof rack. You just need long enough crossbars; alternate forward and backward facing if need be. And a two-seater Burley fits in the trunk of my car just fine with the tongue and wheels popped off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do 5 bikes on my Chrysler minivan years ago with a Yakima rack and longer crossbars. Totally doable though if you are shorter like me a 3 step ladder will greatly ease setting up the middle bikes. I used the regular mounts for the three middle bikes and the fork mounts for the two outer bikes with the wheel mount next to them. Remember to watch your head getting in and out if the bars extend past the width of the doors. Also, remember to unload before driving into the garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes) [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was leaning towards keeping them all on the back (wife's preference so she can take the kids to the trail on days I'm working an unable)... should I lean towards having some sort of platform rack ... picturing something like the Thule T2: https://www.thule.com/...ike-rack?q=9VYd7gK4v

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd seriously consider a 6 x10 trailer if you can store it somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your vehicle has a roof rack already, you can buy a couple racks from nashbar that hook to your factory rack for about $100 each, then throw the rest on the hitch rack.

If you have a minivan you can put 1 inside and 4 on the hitch rack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up usa. 3 bike hitch rack + 2 roof trays. It will be eye wateringly expensive, but it will last forever and everything else is junk by comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
If I was leaning towards keeping them all on the back (wife's preference so she can take the kids to the trail on days I'm working an unable)... should I lean towards having some sort of platform rack ... picturing something like the Thule T2: https://www.thule.com/...ike-rack?q=9VYd7gK4v

Thoughts?

Doesn't look like you'll get 5 bikes with a T2. Have to go with hanging to get to 5. If you don't want to go roof rack and hitch, I think your best bet is a trailer.
Quote Reply
Re: Family Bike Carrier - Help :) (5 bikes) [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nailed it.

In my case, 1up USA on the back and RockyMounts on top.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: May 21, 17 18:11
Quote Reply