Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fallen off the overtraining cliff... Advice??
Quote | Reply
I have been following a 2 week build 1 week "recovery" program for the last 4 months with a decent base to start. I tend to overtrain each year and usually have some sort of overuse injury (I clearly don't learn from my mistakes). I am currently injury free, but experiencing a of motivation, not able to maintain paces, inability to increase intensity for interval workouts, insomnia / disrupted sleep, body aches, irritability and general malaise. I have a 70.3 in 3 weeks and would still like to race. Any advice on how to manage this and still race without horrible results?
Quote Reply
Re: Fallen off the overtraining cliff... Advice?? [neelylynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a couple days totally off, start back in with short workouts in a few days.
If the race is 3 weeks away then you've probably done enough volume at this point to be ok to race. Putting in long workouts now --> making the symptoms worse and hurting your race, so take a bit to recover.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like you are ready. Stay injury free. Looks like you get to have a great taper. Any results compared to most is a super results. Look at why you are doing this. I assume it is for health, social, etc.
and not a "result", which can be impacted by so many things out of your control.

Have fun, kick butt. As I always say, you are guaranteed to set a new PR for your age at the race!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Fallen off the overtraining cliff... Advice?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the support! I tried to make the jump from olympic to 70.3 last year and didn't make it due to a knee injury. Trying again this year and didn't know if what I'm feeling is normal.... I don't seem to remember feeling like this from marathon training, although I probably blocked it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neelylynn wrote:
Thanks for all of the support! I tried to make the jump from olympic to 70.3 last year and didn't make it due to a knee injury. Trying again this year and didn't know if what I'm feeling is normal.... I don't seem to remember feeling like this from marathon training, although I probably blocked it out.

Such a big difference in training from an Olympic to a 70.3, let alone a full!!! Just like going from a 10K to a half marathon, let alone a full.

The question I have been dealing with is at what point is the extra training, and race distance, not worth the risk of injury, let alone the impact on the family.

I know when I was training for IMLT last year, I went from 15 hours a week to close to 22 to 23. The long bikes just about killed me, let alone saddles sore I never knew I could get.
Then when I again realized I just suck on the bike, was not worth getting my butt kicked, and again, risk of injury.

So went back to short course racing, and my normal 15 hours a week of training. Life has been SO much better. I have done very few bike rides outside which the wife told me again last
night she loves. Going to do the IMLT 70.3 with only this amount of training. Have not ridden the bike trainer or race bike more than an hour at a time for months. Will I be as fast as I could be,
nope, but who cares. I am not going to win anything anyways. And to have my life balanced, sleep well, not be grumpy, healthy, etc., sure makes the family much happier.

My first IM I did with 6 hours of week training, so one can have fun and not worry about results and do them. But, ...

Let us know it goes.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Fallen off the overtraining cliff... Advice?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Balance.... Something I need to learn!!!

Will definitely update after the race!
Quote Reply