Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP testing & illness
Quote | Reply
I have a question about FTP testing. The past week (less than a week) or so, I've had a slight cold going on. Nothing too bad. I seem to be at the tail end of it. Last week was a rest week for me, still riding of course, but total time on the bike pretty much halved than my normal. Saturday I was feeling fresh (or so I thought), so I tried to do an FTP test. I try to do 1 test every 4 weeks - during the easy week. I have done them on the first day back to a normal riding schedule though (Mondays are my off days). Saturdays test resulted in me quitting the 20 minute test 10 minutes into it, and just doing an easy zone 2 spin for the rest of the hour, instead of needlessly stressing myself any more than I have to. Heart rate during Saturdays test just kept drifting up, even halfway through was drifting up towards unsustainable, and my RPE & power seemed to be getting harder and harder to maintain, even reducing my effort for a minute didn't help. Once I slowed down to zone 2, it took the rest of the time of the test (10 minutes) to get down to lower zone 2 heart rate. Pretty unusual for me. :-( I hate being sick. So, my question is, I'm feeling better each day, I'm wondering if doing another FTP test tomorrow would be a good idea, or just skip it entirely and wait till next months test to re-evaluate fitness/training zones? This is for cycling specific training, if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing & illness [kevmk81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevmk81 wrote:
I have a question about FTP testing. The past week (less than a week) or so, I've had a slight cold going on. Nothing too bad. I seem to be at the tail end of it. Last week was a rest week for me, still riding of course, but total time on the bike pretty much halved than my normal. Saturday I was feeling fresh (or so I thought), so I tried to do an FTP test. I try to do 1 test every 4 weeks - during the easy week. I have done them on the first day back to a normal riding schedule though (Mondays are my off days). Saturdays test resulted in me quitting the 20 minute test 10 minutes into it, and just doing an easy zone 2 spin for the rest of the hour, instead of needlessly stressing myself any more than I have to. Heart rate during Saturdays test just kept drifting up, even halfway through was drifting up towards unsustainable, and my RPE & power seemed to be getting harder and harder to maintain, even reducing my effort for a minute didn't help. Once I slowed down to zone 2, it took the rest of the time of the test (10 minutes) to get down to lower zone 2 heart rate. Pretty unusual for me. :-( I hate being sick. So, my question is, I'm feeling better each day, I'm wondering if doing another FTP test tomorrow would be a good idea, or just skip it entirely and wait till next months test to re-evaluate fitness/training zones? This is for cycling specific training, if that matters.

Seems to me your unconscious brain / central governor / reptilian brain succeeded in making sure you didn't do yourself damage by not allowing you to complete the test.

No need to turn a minor bug or virus into something serious by doing all out tests before you are completely recovered.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing & illness [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I'll bag the test and wait till next month to re-test.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP testing & illness [kevmk81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say really listen to your body. I've learned to play it safe. I'd rather take a few days off or doing minimal working out to get fully recovered from a cold/illness than try to force my way through it only to end up even more sick and having to take more time off.

It sucks, but missing a FTP test to get better and well rested would be my choice.
Quote Reply