Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP formula
Quote | Reply
Let's say you wanted to calculate your FTP but you had an effort that was somewhere between 20 minutes and 1 hour. Is there a formula, or multiplier that would bring someone to an estimation of what their FTP was?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP formula [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some say so.

http://www.flammerouge.je/...stant/functhresh.htm

"Crack out a full on 20 minute ride (a 10 mile TT), grab your normalised power figure, and you've got 105% of your functional threshold. It's not as accurate as a full hour test, but it's less stressful, easier to fit in to a busy schedule, and as close as we need to be for the level of racing and training we undertake."

But read http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...ven-deadly-sins.html

Shorter Time Trials
5b) by conducting a time trial effort of sufficient duration (say at least 20-min), with FTP typically falling into a range of percentages for TTs of this duration e.g.:
- FTP = 95% +/- 3% of 20-minute maximal average power
- FTP = 96% +/- 3% of 16km (10-mile) TT avg power
Of course everyone is different and some may fall outside of these ranges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been told that for 20 minutes, it's 95% of that power and for every 10 extra minutes, add one percent. For example, a 30 minute interval is 96% of your average power.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP formula [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh-oh, those two can be the same thing, yet off 1% :O :)

I have never been able to hit 95% of 20min power, 92-3% if paced well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add a short (3-6 minute) maximal effort on a non-consecutive day within a week or so and you can compute critical power. I've foudn CP ~ FTP.

CP = [(long interval duration * long interval Pavg) - (short interval duration * short interval Pavg)] / (long int duration - short int duration)

OR

just use the Pavg you can typically sustain for long (20+ min) intervals in training
Last edited by: JollyRogers: May 2, 12 9:45
Quote Reply