Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP Test Today
Quote | Reply
I haven't done many FTP tests before (usually just estimated based off 20 min power during races, long climbs, etc.)....so I did one today, but not sure I paced it right.....I know I started out a bit too hard, beyond that, well, please critique me, ST people.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Test Today [crazyarm07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice start but where's the other 40 minutes? ;)

It looks like you were able to pick it up for the last few minutes even with the enthusiastic start so perhaps you have a bit more in the tank.
Now how do you intend to convert this 20 minute test into a 60 minute estimate?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just kinda taking a guess here but it doesn't look like you have power smoothing on, you might want to turn that on. When i was using trainer road i found it easier to hold my target wattage during the ftp test and other workouts since the numbers weren't jumping around so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My head unit gives me a "Best Average 20 minutes" data point, which is shown somewhere on the uploaded data (specifically on Garmin Connect). Find that number.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it looks pretty dang good for a first test! From here, you only get better as you now have a baseline and know what to expect. It does look like you may have started out just a hair too hard, but it doesn't look like it really effected your results. One question I have is did you find that you were changing gears a lot throughout? While your power fluctuations were consistent (which is good), they were pretty big. On future tests, to help you smooth this out and get the most out of your effort, I'd recommend finding a gear and steady cadence that allows you to put out the power you are confident with and doing your best to just hold that. Then, every 5 minutes, take a quick assessment of how you're feeling, adjust as necessary, and then hold it again.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good. Since you were able to pick it up at the end so much you probably could have gone a little harder in the middle but it's tough to pace these things much better than that without knowing exactly what you're capable of beforehand, and if you knew that you wouldn't need to do the test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go 60 minutes next time. I don't think 20 minute power is a wise FTP tool to use for pacing longer races.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Test Today [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All, thanks for the feedback. I understand the comments about 60 min vs. 20 min tests - maybe better that I don't refer to this as "FTP", since to be honest I'm not sure what I could realistically handle at anything approaching steady-state for a full hour. I think this test was a stepping stone - I got a number to set my training zones, and work toward longer and longer intervals until I can feasibly do a good hour-long FTP test. Also I appreciate the feedback about shifting; I think I probably was shifting too much, as well as when I started really tiring my cadence would start to drop and I'd have to bring it back up, causing some up-and-down in my power output, I think. But bottom line, it's good to know that that 20 minute segment looks like it was paced generally right, so my result should be reliable to train off of. Again, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totally not true.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Test Today [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sprint tri, you are totally right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
totally not true.

LOL

The bike is good. I hit a new hour record wattage during a workout on Sunday - 282w AP. I would estimate that my FTP is around 295w right now. I'm cool with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
totally not true.

LOL

The bike is good. I hit a new hour record wattage during a workout on Sunday - 282w AP. I would estimate that my FTP is around 295w right now. I'm cool with that.

We are all very happy for you. [/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the graph, you don't look like you took it out too fast, nor had way too much left in the tank. Looks like a balanced effort. Use 95% of whatever power you got for this 20min interval and mark that down as current FTP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Go 60 minutes next time. I don't think 20 minute power is a wise FTP tool to use for pacing longer races.

Thanks for reading my training posts bro. Also, thanks for the quote there - very, very nice.

Anyways, When is the last time ANYONE prescribed a 60 minute FTP test?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Thanks for reading my training posts bro. Also, thanks for the quote there - very, very nice.

7) from the average power during a ~1 h TT (the best predictor of
performance is performance itself).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
3Aims wrote:

7) from the average power during a ~1 h TT (the best predictor of
performance is performance itself).

Note the '~'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For testing with a ~1hr TT, would it be more useful to use NP for the result if the course is undulating?
With some of the rollers around me, any VI under 1.07 is good going.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Test Today [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
For testing with a ~1hr TT, would it be more useful to use NP for the result if the course is undulating?

Ask the man himself ^ (Andrew C) as he literally wrote the book.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Test Today [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Hurriedly copies and pastes*

Quote Reply