Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FSA Gossamer (50/34) Crank tightening help!
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am the FSA Gossamer (50/34) on my p2 and the bolt of the left side has been coming loose about once a month and I have been going to LBS to get it tightened. What tool do I use to tighten this?
Quote Reply
Re: FSA Gossamer (50/34) Crank tightening help! [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are the instructions from FSA with correct torque values:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/...Road_Crankset_v5.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consistently have the same problem...think it's just a poorly built crankset..I have one on my beater road bike and one on my fiance's tri bike and both have same problem

John F. Ambrozic III
H & A Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
Hi, I am the FSA Gossamer (50/34) on my p2 and the bolt of the left side has been coming loose about once a month and I have been going to LBS to get it tightened. What tool do I use to tighten this?

I had one with same problem. Dude in the know claimed root cause was poor match between the end-cap threads and the BB axle thread. Suggested plumbing tape or thread lock (blue) on the end cap threads.

We did that just to get me through the trip we were on, but upon return home replace with brand "anything-but-FSA".

I later also bought a whole bike (new) from same dude, and it came with latest FSA gossamer as stock. He said "..but they fixed the problem". The look on my face said it all.
He replied "of course I'm going to replace the crank with shimano 105."

Never looked back. Never bought another FSA product.

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I walked the same road. Went from tightening up every couple weeks, to tightening up every couple rides, to standing on the side of the road using a rock to get it tight enough to limp into a service station (my hex key tool didn't have a large enough size for the crank - fixed that problem as well now).

Eventually replaced the crank. Only permanent solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The torque spec on the preload bolt is odd because if the splines and threads are not perfectly clean then you don't get it tight enough. If that is the case then you need to go by feel. Sometimes you can get burrs on the splines from mishandling too and that affects the adjustment. The torque spec is very light, looser than you would think it should be.

After you get the preload right then tighten the pinch bolts up to the required torque. Since there are two of them, tightening one affects the other so check them over two to three times. After that the preload bolt becomes nothing more than a dust cover and it doesn't matter how tight it is. You can either tighten it up more which won't affect the bearing adjustment or take it out, I suggest you just tighten it up some more.

Use Blue Loctite on all of the threads and make sure they are clean beforehand.

jaretj
Quote Reply