Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help...
Quote | Reply
They happen every bloody time :-( All is well until about 90 to 110km and then it starts. Always in the right leg first: quads, then hamstring and then the adductors. Left leg is better, not as strong cramps, just quads. If I ride hills cramps happen sooner, on the flat later, but it is all very frustrating. I did a Granfondo ride last week, averaged 35kmph for about 100km or so and when we hit the hills I lost about 25 min in stops and very slow rides. I wasn't hammering, I was in a group most of the time so it was mostly drafting and I did my share of pulling too.
But even in training when I average 30kmph, give or take, at about the same distance I get bad cramps.
I drink Gatorade every 10 min (big gulp) with added electrolytes (e-lete) drops and eat a Power bar or Cliff bar every 35-45 min. I just can't eat and drink more.
Any advise appreciated.
Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Only as a womens I get to post this)

Just kidding of course. Salt tabs? maybe even before? I get really bad leg cramps, like crazy bad, and I find more salt early or before helps the most. Good luck and hope you don't ming a bit'o'ribbin' :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk of being blasted for talking about a product. I need to recommend BASE Performance Electrolyte Salt. I know I know, "No proof that salt helps prevent cramps, blah blah blah." Here is what I know. I work for the company and have been on the IRONMAN run course with athletes who were cramping and ready to DNF. We give them our salt, and they bounce back and are ready to continue. At this past weekends IRONMAN 70.3 Racine there were a number of athletes who were walking around all cramped up, we gave them samples of our salt, and the cramps dissipated and they were fine.

Watch this video by BASE Performance where the owner will tell you why it works, and how to use it.

Again I know that the slowtwitch crowd is skeptical, so all I can tell you is what I have experienced myself and with other athletes.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some bad cramps before... Salt definitely helps.. but I had to take a LOOOOT of salt.. If the recommended was 2 pills every hour, I popped a pill every 4-6 an hour. It all depends on the individual.

One race I miscalculated and was short on salt pills.. and of course the cramps came...

Try suceed or saltstick caps.
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason that people have issues with the salt pills is the simple fact that salt 90% of salt absorbs in your mouth. Using BASE Performance Salt allows you to take in the salt sublingually under your tongue so it enters the blood stream much much faster. Most of the salt taken in capsule form is wasted because your body doesnt know how to process that much salt at one time from the bottom of your gut.

I want to be completely transparent and tell you that I work for BASE. I am happy to answer any and all questions for the group. If anyone has used BASE products I would love to hear your thoughts both positive and negative.

I hope you get it figured out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the guy from Base. More salt in general and not through pill form. I like to either mix it into my gatorade or use the base stick thing. If I'm out of base, I often just use sea salt and get the same results. Also, pay attention to how much you are drinking before your rides. If you are trying to get hydrated a day or so before a ride, you may be flushing your system of key electrolytes leading into your ride. Drink just a normal amount of water before those big days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've wondered this too. Really cranked last few miles of every marathon but only used GU and sports drinks without salt tabs. I've wondered if issue is strength cross training related?

Now I'm having this happen on my hard swim workouts and these ones are epic in the discomfort (zombie walk 25 yards and wait for good moment to exit water).

Is it salt or am I just weak (or both)

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [ten26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ten26 wrote:
The reason that people have issues with the salt pills is the simple fact that salt 90% of salt absorbs in your mouth. Using BASE Performance Salt allows you to take in the salt sublingually under your tongue so it enters the blood stream much much faster. Most of the salt taken in capsule form is wasted because your body doesnt know how to process that much salt at one time from the bottom of your gut.

I want to be completely transparent and tell you that I work for BASE. I am happy to answer any and all questions for the group. If anyone has used BASE products I would love to hear your thoughts both positive and negative.

I hope you get it figured out.

I'd be interested in knowing more about this product. I don't cramp much but when I do it's it's in my calves. Also, the cramps don't happen while I'm simply spinning or running. They happen if I do anything remotely in the form of a calf raise. On race day I may not feel the cramps heading into T2 but when I go to unclip, something about that movement sends my calf muscles into a frenzy. It's weird. That may be too much info. Sorry.

But so far I've only done short course races so the cramping hasn't been a huge issue in the race. But I have 2 HIM coming up this fall and have thought about taking some sort of salt pill. The biggest reason that I haven't is because I literally have no idea what my salt levels are at any time. I don't like spending money on something when I'm just guessing on whether I really need it or not.

If you have samples, coupons, or just info, I'm all ears. Thanks.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation as the OP and decided to give Base a try, just received my first container of salt and the race tubes. I usually start to cramp late in the bike then they continue to debilitate me through the run, so my plan would be to pretty much continuously take salt on the bike/run. Haven't used it on a ride yet, but I can imagine a scenario where I pop it open, hit a bump, dump salt everywhere, no salt for the rest of the ride = cramps and misery. So of course I'd rather mix it in my fluid on the bike than deal with that tube thing. Is there really any reason licking it from the tube would be more effective than taking it in with my fluid? I've heard people say that it works better when not mixed in, but I can't really scientifically understand why that would be so?

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed I cramp horribly if I'm taking in a lot of caffeine pre or during the ride.

Getting rid of the caffeine, upping the calcium intake for about a week prior to the race, and some salt pills with powerade or Clif drink mix helps.

As does being fitter. I'm much more likely to cramp early on in the season (bike races) than later on when I've got better form.
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caffeine will increase your dehydration level. That is why you are noticing additional cramping during those times.
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We actually just did a rather lengthy blog post about all of the salt questions we get asked. All of the research and information is done by a medical professional who is not employed by the company. I will tell you that they are however a user and believer in our product. Please give it a read and let me know if you have any questions and I will make sure to answer them.
Your Salt Questions Answered

We really want you guys to give it a shot so we are offering a Slowtwitch discount for the rest July. It is a one time use code for 30% off our BASE Electrolyte Salt. Visit BASE Performance and enter the promo code SLOWTWITCH at checkout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had great luck using EFS first endurance drink.

No cramping and very digestible. The new PRO formula seems to work even better. The only drawback is that it is not cheap.

http://firstendurance.com/nutrition/efspro.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some mystery cramping issues in my right leg that were resolved by working out large knots in my adductor muscles with a lacrosse ball and digging extremely deep.

However probably not related since yours is many areas
Last edited by: vancity: Jul 23, 15 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cramping is mostly due to intensity. Either train harder or race slower ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with Fast on this one. Science has really narrowed cramping down to a couple causes. A) electrolyte disturbances and dehydration B) neural activity and muscle excitation and relaxation. A little more trial and re-trial is probably your best bet. Here's a little "light" reading on the current state of cramping http://sportsscientists.com/...uscle-cramps-part-i/

Feel free to skip to part V if you're not interested in the exercise physiology.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade= High Fructose Corn Syrup
Powerbar= High Fructose
Maybe fructose is an issue for you?
Do you also eat gels?
You might look at one of the products that is more of a hydration drink instead of calories-
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and any meds you might be on (this is part of my issue).... many have side effects that include cramping. Might not apply to you tho. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge cramper and have spent my share of time hanging on to trees, fences, and whatever as my legs were locked up like solid titanium poles. And yes, I was training INTENSIVELY prior to these races. I started using massive doses of salt pills (either S caps or saltstick) and that helped but did not eliminate the problem. Several years ago, I threw in the towel after a crampfest at the San Juan 70.3 and bought this foul tasting shit http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/ . I take one the night before, prior to race start and in T1 and T2 - and continued with the salt pills. That eliminated about 95% of my problems. I have no affiliation with that company but the stuff works or I can guarantee you I would not be using it! Read the reviews...tons of positive comments. I put my own testimony in there 3 years ago. You have to ignore the so-called experts/researchers and try the various recommendations from your fellow athletes. You will eventually discover what works for you.

Re BASE: I bought some this spring and have been using it on my long runs in Tampa. Seems to be helping more than capsules. I will be racing with it for the first time in another week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at Racine this past weekend and I agree with the Salt. It was a bit hot out and I was doing great until the last 5k. I was taking salt tablets all the way up to that point and figured I just needed to take another as I started to cramp. It helped and I was able to push on! No helping sell the BASE performance salt but just salt in general. It helps. I even take a pill before soccer and it helps.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cramped on my last long ride and had to turn around because of it. Is it a specific kind of salt that is needed? What about potassium, is that a thing or has that been shown not to help? (Bananas are cheap and tasty - good for training rides)
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sabotony wrote:
I was at Racine this past weekend and I agree with the Salt. It was a bit hot out and I was doing great until the last 5k. I was taking salt tablets all the way up to that point and figured I just needed to take another as I started to cramp. It helped and I was able to push on! No helping sell the BASE performance salt but just salt in general. It helps. I even take a pill before soccer and it helps.

Possibly the most entertaining post of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [gtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one element by its self is the savior, salt included. You need all of the major electrolytes so that they can compliment each other and work together. Sodium, chloride, magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron, etc. BASE Electrolyte Salt contains all of these as well as trace amounts of 84 elements.

If any of you are planning on attending IM Lake Placid of IM Boulder this weekend or next, please come to our booth and we will tell you all about it.
Quote Reply
Re: FRUSTRATED with cramps. Help... [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure it varies per person and I am sure it might be mental but I am just putting down what I have experienced. No need to be an ass.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is general in nature but directed back to OP ... if cramps were my problem I wouldn't be searching what supplement to take first:

1) Find the source of the problem: It is usually specific fitness, bio-mechanical, equipment, (and / or all of the above) that leads to neuro-muscularly related "issues" (cramping) ... Be honest and address those limiting factors. Beyond bike fit / cleat set up many athletes benefit form specific strength work that addresses the weak link in the chain

2) For the OP --> SO if the cramping is cycling related I would look at bio-mechanics and bike fit and back track to things that happen on the group ride that you do not address n training

3) So many triathletes cramp AFTER they get off the bike into transition ... the rapid change of bio-mechanics and specific muscular use is usually the cause ... if this is an issue trying stretching your calves on the bike AND standing a few times in the closing miles of the bike to help smooth the transition to running

Supplements
- Salt really does not have anything to do with the function of cramping BUT the bodies reflex / response to pickle juice or Base salt etc on the tongue / back of mouth really can help lesson or stop the cramping. The reason they work better than capsules say has nothing to do with absorption of the product, RATHER how the product is taken
- Someone mentioned Calcium? Calcium is a major mineral in muscle contraction so that's not the what I would suggest to athletes
- Magnesium ... I have seen athletes have positive response to adding small amounts of dietary magnesium (acts as muscle relaxant) BUT e careful how much you take other wise you may find yourself in the bathroom a lot ;-)

Best,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jul 23, 15 15:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next