Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg?
Quote | Reply
I know that it is only an indicator, but curious to know what the people with a top 5% bike split in their AG has in terms of FTP per kg?
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That'd be freaking awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do pretty well on the bike, and mine hovers around 4.6-4.7 W/kg. I'm quite light so that makes it pretty reasonable to get there.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8th best bike split in my AG @ IMWI...3.9 w/kg.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since I competed but when in top 5% it was about 4w/kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how I'll rank next Sunday, but I'm just over 4.5w/Kg right now thanks to Accelerate3 whipping the snot out of me all season.

For what it's worth, seems like I was around 20th M30-34 at IMCa'13 with 4w/Kg FTP and road a .69IF

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Sep 19, 14 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMMT, 5% in the 25-39 AGs was 5:10-5:20 or so - 34.8km/h = 21.6mph.

According to the post your speed/watts thread, you can achieve 21.6mph with between 2.5w/kg and 3.3w/kg (I got this by eyeballing the bulk of the scatterplot at the 21.6mph level).

Let's assume that most of the data points in that thread are exaggerating a bit or aren't achievable while carrying IM-style nutrition, so we'll bump that up to say 2.7w/kg to 3.5w/kg to achieve the goal pace.

Most advice I can find with a quick googling says to aim your IM bike pace at around 70% of your FTP. So the guys maintaining 2.7w/kg to 3.5w/kg will need FTPs of 3.8w/kg to 5.0w/kg depending on their aerodynamic efficiency or chosen %-of-FTP target.

So it sounds like both Jackmott's estimates were in the right ballpark.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Sep 19, 14 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
I know that it is only an indicator, but curious to know what the people with a top 5% bike split in their AG has in terms of FTP per kg?

4.1 but how competitve that is depends on the course. I'm a bigger guy so on a flat course my watts put me higher in the standings, on a hillier course not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was @ ~4.7 w/kg for the last 2 IM races I did, and that gave me the best amateur bike split at IMLP and one of the best amateur bike splits in Kona. jackmott is probably right that something in the low 4s will put you in the top 5%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:

There are two ways to interpret this question:
  1. What is your w/kg at IM distance?
  2. For those who are in the top 5%, what is your w/kg at FTP?

As a front of the pack cyclist, but not IM competitor, I'm around 4.8 for w/kg. If I balanced three sports I doubt if I could keep it above 4.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7th fastest bike split (overall amateur), 2nd in AG at my last Ironman @ 3.7 (340 FTP @ 203 lbs).
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [6 String] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 String wrote:
7th fastest bike split (overall amateur), 2nd in AG at my last Ironman @ 3.7 (340 FTP @ 203 lbs).

and of course it should be expected that on flat courses, big guys will do well with less watts/kg and tiny people will need more watts/kg!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 10% here. 3.79 watts/kg at race time
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4.1 w/kg (167lbs, 308FTP... 5'11"). Usually around top 1%. Hope to drop some weight next season, gain a few watts (If I can do both.... otherwise I'll take the weight loss so I can run faster) and get closer to 4.3 - 4.4.

IMWI - 3rd fastest AG bike split.

Steelhead -3rd fastest amateur split, 5th split overall. (Though I'm pretty sure later swim waves were aided more by the wind that the pros)

Kansas - 2nd fastest in AG.

First year riding over 100mpw average, riding consistently more that 3 times a week and really hitting the trainer in the winter... so that helped. Will be interesting to see what i can do next year. Volume won;t go up much, but I should be able to build form where I'm at.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A more pertinent question to ask is what is their p/CdA #'s. I have numerous powerfiles from numerous races where someone rode 2.8 or 3.2 and outsplit someone riding 3.4 or 4.1 w/kg.

Power matters, but on the majority of triathlon courses a lot of triathletes make it easy to out ride them by having bad CdA numbers either through position and/or by junking up their bike with shit hanging off it everywhere.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been top 5 or so overall bike splits for AG in 3 IM races this year. I'm around 4.1w/kg FTP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
A more pertinent question to ask is what is their p/CdA #'s. I have numerous powerfiles from numerous races where someone rode 2.8 or 3.2 and outsplit someone riding 3.4 or 4.1 w/kg.

Power matters, but on the majority of triathlon courses a lot of triathletes make it easy to out ride them by having bad CdA numbers either through position and/or by junking up their bike with shit hanging off it everywhere.

That's a good point. I think you'll find a fairly wide rang of CdA out there. Even among pros. Pros with 3 bottles on their bike plus a 4th as a flat kit in an IM.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:

3.9 W/kg. But everybody knows that only the run matters.

Now, if I can use my weight at the end of the race, that's >4 W/kg!
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
3.9 W/kg. But everybody knows that only the run matters.

Amen! Same here though, right around 3.9 W/kg, 10th amateur bike split at IMTX '13.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im ~3.9 W/KG...was 13/349 on the bike in M45-49 at IMLP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 5% in finishers or bike split?

My first IM I did 5:18 at MT at 210W @ 75kgs = 2.8W/Kg. Felt great afterwards so I think I was right on. Went too hard at the of the run and blew up having to walk most of the last 5k with trashed legs. I think it was more of a run training issue and felt that my bike was bang on. I did a crude FTP test and got 265W so that would give me 3.5W/Kg at FTP. I never did any interval workouts during training so I will be working on that for next year. I think I will aim for 230W for my IM next year. I figure I will need to get my FTP up to 290-300W this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: FOP (top 5%) AG IM bikers - what is your FTP per kg? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Nailed it, three trip to the wind tunnel for me was better then worrying about my w/kg. Now I can slip along and stay fresh for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike splits are usually the top 1-2% OA of whatever field I'm in, and I usually race at 4+ w/kg.
Currently calling it ~285w/70-71kg

Was 4.2+ w/kg back in '11 (295/69), when I biked 5:09 at LP, and also had one of the fastest bike splits at Savageman (where w/kg *actually matters*, a LOT!!)

I'm pretty aero, so I'd imagine my w/CdA is pretty decent too.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next