Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Wert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, didn't see your reply on Friday. I'll try to get some decent pics. I am assuming you are asking about the flow interface between the rim/tire.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [spigot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, that would be great! I know Flo recommends the Michelin Pro4, just curious how the Specialized tires stack up...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [snail_male] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail_male wrote:

From yesterday's century training ride. Happy to report they worked like a charm. Biggest impression: stiffness. I have bought used H3Cs and found their dodgy bearings - even after replacement & servicing - caused them to rub my frame/brakes; bought a used Renn disc & the same issues. Took a flyer with FLO and it looks like they nailed it. The wheels spin straight & the ride is rub-free, even with a surprisingly tight fit between the chainstays (just a few mms either side). The Conti Attack/Force combo were a devil to get on, but with patience I avoided any tube pinching. Congrats to the Thornhams!

* oh yes - on the service front: "long ago" they answered my request for the Pantone colour codes in the labels. The yellow seemed a close enough match to my frame that I pulled the trigger on this setup & am glad I did! Thanks to Chris & Jon.

I am jealous, I have the same yellow P2SL, and this looks sweet. I wondered how the yellow labels would look. Looks good.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
snail_male wrote:

From yesterday's century training ride. Happy to report they worked like a charm. Biggest impression: stiffness. I have bought used H3Cs and found their dodgy bearings - even after replacement & servicing - caused them to rub my frame/brakes; bought a used Renn disc & the same issues. Took a flyer with FLO and it looks like they nailed it. The wheels spin straight & the ride is rub-free, even with a surprisingly tight fit between the chainstays (just a few mms either side). The Conti Attack/Force combo were a devil to get on, but with patience I avoided any tube pinching. Congrats to the Thornhams!

* oh yes - on the service front: "long ago" they answered my request for the Pantone colour codes in the labels. The yellow seemed a close enough match to my frame that I pulled the trigger on this setup & am glad I did! Thanks to Chris & Jon.

I am jealous, I have the same yellow P2SL, and this looks sweet. I wondered how the yellow labels would look. Looks good.

If you spring for them I think you'll be quite happy ;)
I'm also glad to report they have continued to impress me - even the cross-winds on the 2nd loop of Mt. Tremblant last August were no issue. Like others have said, side gusts seem to result in more of a push than a slap, if that makes any sense!

Quote | Reply
Ended up with a set of Michelin Pro4s, thanks for the feedback though.

Wheels came in on Tuesday, now I just need some tubes and extensions and I will be ready for racing! Can't wait to take them for a spin
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [Wert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like preorder 5 is set for "April" and I'm considering buying a disc with the Stealth stickers (or maybe white...). Currently I ride a BP Stealth with a Spinergy Stealth SS front and H3 rear for training, and usually race on an H3 front + Renn 575 disc rear. The Renn is a bit flexy side-side, and being a flat-sided disc is quite a bit behind the recent technology... I've been happy with it for the last 7 or 8 years but have been thinking about a new one...

So the question is: What about the trashcan lids on a freight train of one early model last summer? Has the foam insulator layer been applied and rigorously tested? I know most foams will disintegrate with any amount of vibration and abrasion, so I'm not sure that sticking a piece of foam tape in there will have any long-term effect. From what I read in this thread it seems like the discs just make the roar common to fairing-style discs (Hed Jet), and it was only the one piece (quickly replaced) that was actually really noisy. Anyone else with a Disc have any comments?

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Flo Disc from the 2nd order last year and haven't found the sound to be overly noisy. If I bang the disc or tap it it makes a racket but during the ride it is fairly quiet unless I am on a really bumpy road. The half distance race I did this past weekend has about 15 miles or so of chip seal and to be honest I don't even recall if it made much noise during that section. It wasn't enough to make me take note.

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [wareagledusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wareagledusty wrote:
I have a Flo Disc from the 2nd order last year and haven't found the sound to be overly noisy. If I bang the disc or tap it it makes a racket but during the ride it is fairly quiet unless I am on a really bumpy road. The half distance race I did this past weekend has about 15 miles or so of chip seal and to be honest I don't even recall if it made much noise during that section. It wasn't enough to make me take note.

Very nice looking setup, glad you posted this as it shows me what it would look like on my Argon18 E-112 (similar frame color). I've also got that same Dark Speed Magic bag.

I'm considering jumping in on pre-order 5 (FLO 60 front/rear). Anybody have a picture of the wheels after the black on the brake track has been worn off? My OCD would like to see that. It hasn't been noticeable in any of the pics posted in this thread, but I figured most pics might have come immediately after the wheels were put on.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are starting to wear, I'll take some pics tonight and repost.

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wareagledusty wrote:

Did you mount your front wheel "backwards"? Is there a backwards on a front wheel? I see the little yellow sticker close to the spokes on the front wheel in your pic. I know on the rear wheel this same sticker is on the non-drive side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap are those road spikes on the back to give other cyclists flats???!?

wareagledusty wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy42 wrote:
It looks like preorder 5 is set for "April" and I'm considering buying a disc with the Stealth stickers (or maybe white...). Currently I ride a BP Stealth with a Spinergy Stealth SS front and H3 rear for training, and usually race on an H3 front + Renn 575 disc rear. The Renn is a bit flexy side-side, and being a flat-sided disc is quite a bit behind the recent technology... I've been happy with it for the last 7 or 8 years but have been thinking about a new one...

So the question is: What about the trashcan lids on a freight train of one early model last summer? Has the foam insulator layer been applied and rigorously tested? I know most foams will disintegrate with any amount of vibration and abrasion, so I'm not sure that sticking a piece of foam tape in there will have any long-term effect.

Good questions. We didn't stick a piece of foam tape in there... we applied a thing layer of foam to the back side of the carbon fiber. There is really very little force or abrasion applied to the foam so we don't see it "wearing out". As a side note, after coming up with this fix and posting it on this forum... another user mentioned that their HED Jet Disc also has a thin layer of foam. I've never seen the foam inside of a HED Jet disc but I find it interesting that we both came to what seems like the same conclusion.

All that said... if you were to buy a FLO DISC and you did have an issue with the foam, we back our products so we'd definitely take care of you.

From what I read in this thread it seems like the discs just make the roar common to fairing-style discs (Hed Jet), and it was only the one piece (quickly replaced) that was actually really noisy. Anyone else with a Disc have any comments?

Yes, the roar was from the direct carbon on spokes contact. Think of how an acoustic guitar works, then put that on the back wheel of your bike and ride it around. It got pretty noisy! The foam makes a huge difference. In fact I've been riding one around quite a bit and you can hardly tell your riding a disc (noise-wise at least).

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This question is for the people running the FLO wheels on a SHIV. Did you guys have to remove the washer on the brake pad to get them to fit in the rear? I am having a hell of a time trying to get my disc to fit otherwise. Then having an even harder time adjusting them to sit nice again since I don't have a decent way of holding the bike steady.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [sak35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here it is. Just got it set up this weekend. Took it out for a ride Monday and felt super fast. Really looking forward to racing this season now. Great job to the guys at Flo - great product!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [snail_male] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail_male wrote:

Just curious: is that a Dual? I have a 2007 Dual in Grey, and I run Flo 60/60 Stealth/Grey...pretty dope bike!

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a P2-SL. The Dual doesn't have the wheel cutout.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
That is a P2-SL. The Dual doesn't have the wheel cutout.
Doh! Good eye.

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the same bike as the one pictured.

Last edited by: BLeP: May 8, 13 11:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
In that case, "pretty dope bike" to you, too! :-)
My 2007 Dual is a huge upgrade for me over the late-model entry-level bike I used to ride, and I love it.
Have you been pleased with the P2SL? Components?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultegra.

I have no complaints about my bike but I have nothing to compare it to, this is easily the most expensive bike I have ever owned. I would like new wheels but I would also like someone else to pay for them. I replaced the basebars and brake levers this year simply for ascetics.

I would also love a new bike but in reality I know that my bike is not what's holding me back. My lack of fitness/training is what holds me back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheJeff wrote:
BLeP wrote:

In that case, "pretty dope bike" to you, too! :-)
My 2007 Dual is a huge upgrade for me over the late-model entry-level bike I used to ride, and I love it.
Have you been pleased with the P2SL? Components?

Same as BLeP, I've got the standard Ultegra on my yellow P2SL (the one pictured above with the 60/90 combo), and I have no right to complain - it's ready to go faster at any time, only the motor is holding it back!

(It's this same sort of "mature" thinking that prevented me from buying the latest graphite/unobtanium tennis racquet: recognizing that so many others could beat me while playing with a garbage can lid.)

Quote | Reply
I just rode my FLO Disc+90 combo in a race for the first time. It was a half distance in pouring rain and a little wind.
  • Handling was no problem. Front wheel a little more twitchy than my 50mm Corimas, but not too bad. This is including a downhill-section where I got up to 84km/h (52mph).
  • Disc sound (first generation, no foam inserts) was just right. Some evil "thundering" on little potholes, less "whoosh-whoosh" than a structural disc, but people were still turning heads when I came along.
  • Absolutely no water issues. No water inside after race.
  • ALL the black color on the braking surface was completely gone after this one race in the rain. It had been 95% intact before the race, after two training rides in sunny weather.
    In all fairness: The FLO-guys were upfront in that the color would eventually be gone. Thought it would last a little longer though, but the rain and quite some road grime were probably too much.
    Do you guys think I can sharpy some black back on for optical reasons? Or would this mess with braking performance and/or sound/smell funny?

In total: Awesome product.

ah, and just because I can't keep this to myself: I did have the best bike split of the day ;-)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Wheel Reviews? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did have the best bike split of the day ;-)

Congrats!! I wouldn't be keeping that to myself either. Who cares what color the breaking surface is when you can add that to your race report :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ALL the black color on the braking surface was completely gone after this one race in the rain. It had been 95% intact before the race, after two training rides in sunny weather.
In all fairness: The FLO-guys were upfront in that the color would eventually be gone. Thought it would last a little longer though, but the rain and quite some road grime were probably too much.
Do you guys think I can sharpy some black back on for optical reasons? Or would this mess with braking performance and/or sound/smell funny?
I wouldn't bother in all honesty. It'll just wear off again. I doubt it'll mess with braking, but I'm not sure about sound/smell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
ALL the black color on the braking surface was completely gone after this one race in the rain. It had been 95% intact before the race, after two training rides in sunny weather.

I'd consider that a badge of honor.
Quote Reply

Prev Next